Some features missing from the Vita version of MLB 13 because of cartridge size

#1RotuhiiriPosted 1/24/2013 7:24:15 AM
Should Sony have gone with UMD-Blu-ray? I know Vita cartridges can be larger than 4GB but it is possible this comes at a significant increase in the manufacturing costs. The good news is that all the improvements of this year's PS3 version will be in the Vita version even if dumbed down in the audio department. What was missing last year will also be missing this year.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/24/3910254/mlb-13-the-show-ps-vita-missing-features-wont-fit

"MLB 13 The Show will be available on PlayStation Vita it's the franchise's second year on the platform and that version is still missing a few features from its bigger PlayStation 3 sibling because they literally "won't fit" on the PS Vita cartridge, according to developer Sony San Diego.

One of MLB 13's major new features is Postseason Mode, which lets people play through a customizable playoff bracket. It includes numerous presentation elements that differentiate postseason games from regular-season games, including graphical overlays, different camera angles, new cutscenes and playoff-specific commentary.

All those features, especially the audio, take up a lot of storage. According to Sony San Diego community manager Ramone Russell, a PS Vita game can be no larger than 3 GB or so, whereas MLB 13 on PS3 boasts 6 GB of audio just from Postseason Mode.

"We could fill up the [cartridge] with audio alone and still have three gigs left over," Russell told Polygon. So while Postseason Mode is available in the Vita version, much of its distinctive audio had to be cut.

The PS Vita cart for MLB 13 is full to bursting as it is, Russell explained, which is why the Vita version is also missing online leagues and the Diamond Dynasty mode again this year "just because it won't fit."

However, MLB 13 on Vita does include just about everything else that's new to the PS3 version of the game. Beginner Mode is there, along with improvements in areas such as hitting, fielding and baserunning. Overhauls to finances, player progression and scouting in the Franchise and Road to the Show modes are also present in the Vita title; the modes must be essentially identical on both PS Vita and PS3 because they offer cross-platform save functionality. And the Online Home Run Derby will also be playable across both platforms.

MLB 13 The Show launches March 5 on PS3 and PS Vita.

---
JRPG fans, support our struggle: http://chn.ge/SsowWy
Join our cause: https://www.facebook.com/OperationDemonBane
#2RansomReynoldsPosted 1/24/2013 7:37:24 AM
Seems like this could be an easy fix by releasing the game on two cards. Hell, it isn't like it'd be the first time this has happened. Put online features on one card, single player on another. Tie everything to one account with a code.
---
PS3 Network ID: RansomReynolds
Currently playing: Black Ops 2, Persona 4 Golden, FIFA 13, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, and PS All Stars.
#3calvinliangPosted 1/24/2013 7:38:54 AM
Well, they could patch those features in through DLC. Just an idea.
---
---
PSN ID: CaptCalvin
#4BruceLee1974Posted 1/24/2013 7:42:22 AM(edited)
So is the maximum size for a Vita card 4 gig ?

I'm not sure what they mean it can be bigger to the cost of the developer ? how much more could it cost and how is this done, anyone know ?

And just curious anyone know the maximum size to a 3ds game ?
#5lunchEATSyouPosted 1/24/2013 7:43:30 AM
So the Vita got an another inferior console port? This should not be surprising at all.
---
"Are you kidding me? Japan hates anything American. The US bombed their ass and they are also xenophobic."
-ElGado, pride of the Wii U board
#6YarottPosted 1/24/2013 7:59:47 AM
BruceLee1974 posted...

I'm not sure what they mean it can be bigger to the cost of the developer ? how much more could it cost and how is this done, anyone know ?

In suplementary data, it was reported that all initial Vita Game cards were to be 4 GB, while the first 3DS carts were 2 GB in capacity. Also, I believe it was also mentioned that later on, Vita Game carts would go above 20GB, while 3DS game carts would be up to 8GB.
---
Throughout Internet History, there weren't any Ganons or Zeldas, only Links.
The Official Stiltzkin of all boards
#7lordcloudxPosted 1/24/2013 8:02:16 AM
Wait, someone actually plays MLB 13?
---
Vitassurance: The Webcomic http://www.jaded-perspectives.com/2013/01/vitassurance-webcome-1.html
#8YarottPosted 1/24/2013 8:06:09 AM
lordcloudx posted...
Wait, someone actually plays MLB 13?

Tell me, how else would the game be called MLB "13"?
---
Throughout Internet History, there weren't any Ganons or Zeldas, only Links.
The Official Stiltzkin of all boards
#9BruceLee1974Posted 1/24/2013 8:10:17 AM
Yarott posted...
BruceLee1974 posted...

In suplementary data, it was reported that all initial Vita Game cards were to be 4 GB, while the first 3DS carts were 2 GB in capacity. Also, I believe it was also mentioned that later on, Vita Game carts would go above 20GB, while 3DS game carts would be up to 8GB.

Well why don't the devs just pay a little extra and get a bigger card ? Seem like cheap skates or just lazy to me then.
#10JONlCSPosted 1/24/2013 8:21:52 AM
well that is one tight v...cartridge
---
http://i.imgur.com/Cwfmd.jpg