Where did the PlayStation Vita go wrong?

#1pat2001Posted 1/25/2013 11:42:57 AM
Hey guys,

I recently started up a weekly gaming column at work and while I don't expect everyone here to agree with the point I'm trying to make in my piece, I thought you all might be interested in checking it out.

http://o.canada.com/2013/01/25/where-did-the-playstation-vita-go-wrong/

I really like my Vita, but really, where are the games? It's such an awesome device and I feel like Sony is completely ignoring it.
#2kingofall214Posted 1/25/2013 11:48:04 AM
Isn't it against the TOU to blatantly advertise your site like that? Also I am not giving you page clicks when the first thing you decide to discuss on your new site is baseless rumor and speculation.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#3EseenuzPosted 1/25/2013 11:48:06 AM
This is just bad publicity

opinions are like a******s, everyone has one lol
#4DrROBschizPosted 1/25/2013 11:49:26 AM
Proprietary Memory

High Digital Prices

were some of the first hurdles
#5pat2001(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 11:49:46 AM
I don't think it's against TOS.

How is it baseless? It's pretty common knowledge that Sony isn't giving the Vita much love these days.
#6EseenuzPosted 1/25/2013 11:50:25 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7GradyHooverPosted 1/25/2013 11:53:28 AM
I can tell you where they went wrong, or at least "have gone wrong to date" (because let's face it, "went wrong" sounds like it's over already):

- They assumed that most of the world would still be interested in gaming-only handheld devices in the age of iPads and Smartphones

- They failed to provide Japan or the rest of Asia with a must-have, can't-live-without franchise (Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, etc)

That's really it, I think.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#8ColorlessMagePosted 1/25/2013 11:56:46 AM
pat2001 posted...
Hey guys,

I recently started up a weekly gaming column at work and while I don't expect everyone here to agree with the point I'm trying to make in my piece, I thought you all might be interested in checking it out.

http://o.canada.com/2013/01/25/where-did-the-playstation-vita-go-wrong/

I really like my Vita, but really, where are the games? It's such an awesome device and I feel like Sony is completely ignoring it.

Gaem journalism~

on a serious note before you jump the gun on the drought we're having right now may want to wait for destination playstation and E3.
Weather sony likes it or not they can't ignore the Vita simply like last year,expect some action to be taken weather it be good or bad.
#9kingofall214Posted 1/25/2013 12:06:13 PM
pat2001 posted...
I don't think it's against TOS.

How is it baseless? It's pretty common knowledge that Sony isn't giving the Vita much love these days.

No it's not. It's a common assumption but that fact is people like to say it's failing but the last official Sony numbers were from November.

Lets talk about hard facts.

The vita was never going to sell more then the 3ds in Sony's eyes. Both the PSP and Vita target a completely different audience then Nintendo's DS and 3DS audience. There is obviously cross over but that is irrelevant

The vita's last known sales numbers were in the 4-5 million range and that was in December I believe. If you look at all the flopped systems of the past the majority couldn't make that their life time to date numbers after years on the market.

People who claim vita developers are leaving the vita have no examples at all of this happening except maybe Monster Hunter. It's not confirmed MH will never come to the vita so its baseless and even if it doesn't that is one developer. MH only sold about 5 million copies or so on psp. PSP has 75 million units sold as of now so you can't say MH "saved" the PSP.

Almost all arguments suggesting that the vita will flop have no factual basis. The only thing Sony has said is that at this point its at the lower end of the spectrum meaning out of numbers of vita sold was still in the scope of what they were trying to achieve. Their are highs and lows of every product sold. Vita is at it's low. Not at some failing point.

Most people who try to claim it's going to flop never even grasp at the idea of what a price drop would do. Or what a major blockbuster would do for sales. Rockstar is developing a game for vita. It's a good bet it's GTA and it won't be some crappy project dumped at the last minute so they can sell it with GTA 5 like COD BLOPS Declassified and Assassins' Creed liberation. It will be it's own standing game sold at a different time then GTA 5 and it will be a quality game.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#10GradyHooverPosted 1/25/2013 12:10:11 PM
ColorlessMage posted...

on a serious note before you jump the gun on the drought we're having right now may want to wait for destination playstation and E3.
Weather sony likes it or not they can't ignore the Vita simply like last year,expect some action to be taken weather it be good or bad.

Well, others have pointed out that Destination PlayStation is really for retailers, not press or gamers. So it's hard to say how much info can come out of that. Some stuff came out of it last year, but that was undesired leaks for Sony.

And E3 isn't until June. They can't wait half the damn year - they need to take SOME action before then. So I sure hope they have some kind of a plan before then... maybe an event where they talk more about Soul Sacrifice or provide some release dates for Tearaway/Killzone?

Seriously, if they wait until June to give the Vita some love, we're going to be dragging the river for Vita's corpse by then.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games