How is persona 4?

#1S_T_O_N_E_Posted 1/28/2013 1:26:53 AM
I've heard many great things about it but i'm still on the fence about it. I really want to play an rpg game for the VITA but I've never played any of the personas. I love games like the tales series or final fantasy (especially X) but it looks kind of childish to me perhaps i'm wrong. Are the personas like pokemon? (what i've heard from reviews) Anywho some advice on this or any RPGS for the vita (or even psp games like riviera the promised land).
---
I LIEK PIEZ.
#2SirFreshnessPosted 1/28/2013 1:33:29 AM
Buy it. Thank me later
---
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness"
PSN-SIrfreshness
#3S_T_O_N_E_(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 1:35:53 AM
SirFreshness posted...
Buy it. Thank me later

-_____- details =[!?
---
I LIEK PIEZ.
#4Omega_BlackPosted 1/28/2013 1:54:12 AM
It is repetitive yet somehow manages to be highly addictive.
I know that sounds like a paradox but it's true.

When I first saw it, I turned my nose up at it. It looks like just another cliche anime JRPG and in a lot of ways it is. The character archetypes, the high school setting, the walls of text, accompanied by hyper-emotive voice acting, the J-POP, the linearity, the turn-based battle system, it's all there.

Yet it is the execution of the various aspects of the game that hooked me.
Persona 4 is the very definition of digital crack.

Reading reviews and watching gameplay videos will give you a good idea of what to expect but I feel you don't truly get a feel for it until you actually play it.

To answer some of your questions, yes Personas are similar to Pokemon. They level up, they learn moves and get stronger. The big difference is their strength is drawn from the social bonds you forge with the various people in the game and combining Personas can create potentially more powerful Personas.
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#5defunct32Posted 1/28/2013 2:07:41 AM(edited)
Hey, it's you! I shall return the favor since you helped me out w/ Silent Hill: Book of Memories. Like SirFreshness said, buy it and thank us later. Though, if you require more details then comparing P4G w/ Pokemon is about right but think of Persona as the more mature kind with Personas from distant myths and lore or something like that.

It's not childish although the setting is on high school, studying and stuff with a murder mystery case that happened in small rural town, Inaba. I like it a lot there's humor, crude jokes abound, battle is similar to turn-based since you've played FFX it's similar but Persona 4 utilizes a "one more" system whereby if you managed to exploit an enemy's weakness you get a free turn (making battles much easier sometimes, though this game is already easy as it is). Battles are fluid and fast and oh, the game is like a dungeon-crawler each dungeon will generate a random floor and enemy can be seen and avoided (no random battles).

There's also SIMS elements, you can go into relationship, spend time with friends strengthening bonds and gaining skills and abilities in the process, it's really neat! Right now I've clocked in about 70 hours and I still have a long way to go, it's a very long game.

Some of the Persona are very cool looking IMHO. The fun part of the game would be discovering new Personas, fusing them and nurturing them... it's just addictive for me. This game also has some of the best soundtrack I've heard in a gaming while.

Also, some pictures/screenshot from my own gameplay... possible spoilers...

- http://i49.tinypic.com/2jc66xe.jpg (battle, team attack, not spoilers exactly)
- http://i46.tinypic.com/6j2iba.jpg (you'll see words like "ass/b****/assh**** etc in the game)
- http://i49.tinypic.com/14v41td.jpg (one of the magic attack in the game; this Persona be the "White Rider)
- http://i46.tinypic.com/3305q8j.jpg (one of my favorite Persona; could be spoiler)
- http://i49.tinypic.com/2euohty.jpg (creating and fusing Personas)
#6lordcloudxPosted 1/28/2013 1:58:09 AM
The personas are not like Pokemon since they're not really fighting for you in the same way as the Pokemon games. The personas are more akin to summons in the PS1 Final Fantasy games except they're the main means by which you can use magic. In short, all your magic/special moves in the game is done through the vessel called persona. The main character is unique from everyone else in the party in that he can use switch between multiple personas in battle while everyone else has just one persona.

Most of the main characters are all teenagers on the verge of adulthood and the story as well as in-game UI kinda reflects that. Over-all, it has a relaxed, rustic, slice-of-life feel to it due to the setting of the story that takes place in the rural town of Inaba. That said, your party will be dealing with a serial murderer who has the police baffled and who continues to kill/attempt to kill throughout the game. The only real clue is that the victims appear on a "The Midnight Channel" on rainy days You take on the role of a transfer student and his group of friends who awaken to a power called Persona that may hold the key to solving the murder mystery.

The core of the gameplay lies in establishing "Social Links" with different people and each of these S-links corresponds to an "Arcana" in the tarot cards. You spend each day trying to establish and level-up as many social links as you can by interacting with the people that you have s-links with. The main purpose of this is to allow you to fuse stronger personas that correspond to each S-Link since you get bonuses for fusing personas that you have a particular S-link with. The main similarity that this game might have to pokemon is that you can pick up new personas by fighting new enemies and picking up a persona card when you win. You do not pick up persona cards in the form of any particular enemy.

I guess one thing more I can say about this game is that it's quite stylish. The characters look like "cool kids" and the music is quite upbeat and has a modern feel to it.
---
Vitassurance: The Webcomic http://www.jaded-perspectives.com/2013/01/vitassurance-webcome-1.html
#7ITPPosted 1/28/2013 2:04:06 AM
Definitely get it.

It's divided into two parts: real world and TV world.

In the real world, you get one daytime and one night time activity per day, and you go to school, hang out with in game characters, purchase thing (books, items, equipment) from shops etc'
Spending time with characters increases their affection for you, and if you reply to their dilemmas or problems in a way that's favorable to them, your social link with them will level up.

Once in a while, a major plot event will cause you to go on a mission in the TV world. Each segment of that world is a multi floored dungeon with random generated floors (aside from specific premade ones) with random enemies and treasures. The fights are turn based RPG and you can control all 4 characters in your party, and customize the party formation itself as the game progresses.

Each of your characters has a single persona, with up to 8 abilities, and the main character is able to change personas on the fly (once per battle turn) and can carry up to 12 of them (starts out as 6 and grows by 2 at levels 10,20,30.

The personas themselves are mostly standard enemies and bosses from other SMT games, with elemental magic coming in fire,ice,lightning,wind,light and black flavors.

When not inside a dungeon, there's a special room that can be visited from both the real world and the TV world, in which you can fuse 2 or more personas and get a new one, which will inherit some of the old ones' abilities and will gain a social link related bonus.

That's the gist of it. 95% of the main plot is also fully voiced over, and there are some anime cutscenes thrown into the mix.

And questions?
#8S_T_O_N_E_(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 2:07:44 AM
Thanks for the detailed replies. I will certainly look into getting it then when I have a chance. I wanted something long that would last me (dokuro and silent hill are getting a bit tiresome for me especially dokuro since i get stuck on levels easily haha) If i end up enjoying it i will get back to you guys on my opinion of it.
---
I LIEK PIEZ.
#9S_T_O_N_E_(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 2:10:54 AM
ITP posted...
Definitely get it.

It's divided into two parts: real world and TV world.

In the real world, you get one daytime and one night time activity per day, and you go to school, hang out with in game characters, purchase thing (books, items, equipment) from shops etc'
Spending time with characters increases their affection for you, and if you reply to their dilemmas or problems in a way that's favorable to them, your social link with them will level up.

Once in a while, a major plot event will cause you to go on a mission in the TV world. Each segment of that world is a multi floored dungeon with random generated floors (aside from specific premade ones) with random enemies and treasures. The fights are turn based RPG and you can control all 4 characters in your party, and customize the party formation itself as the game progresses.

Each of your characters has a single persona, with up to 8 abilities, and the main character is able to change personas on the fly (once per battle turn) and can carry up to 12 of them (starts out as 6 and grows by 2 at levels 10,20,30.

The personas themselves are mostly standard enemies and bosses from other SMT games, with elemental magic coming in fire,ice,lightning,wind,light and black flavors.

When not inside a dungeon, there's a special room that can be visited from both the real world and the TV world, in which you can fuse 2 or more personas and get a new one, which will inherit some of the old ones' abilities and will gain a social link related bonus.

That's the gist of it. 95% of the main plot is also fully voiced over, and there are some anime cutscenes thrown into the mix.

And questions?

YES is (oh gawd please no because i do NOT support laura bailey (her voice is just awful cannot stand it) in the game? because if it is i won't get it then. No.. just no. My ears can't take anymore! =[
---
I LIEK PIEZ.
#10defunct32Posted 1/28/2013 2:14:59 AM(edited)
Yes, she's in it and her voice is really ... I dunno it's nice at times but during battle it's very annoying cause she will be like "xxx use xxx on this enemy," "oh no, Senpai you're hurt HEAL NOW" but I've learn to ignore it cause the game is so much more worth it then Laura's high-pitchy annoying voice.

Also, you can change Personas in battle as many times as you want but only once PER ROUND. This is only for the main character.