Are we shooting ourselves in the foot by buying physical media?

#1kahPosted 1/28/2013 2:13:33 PM
Considering Sony's past, it's doubtful that next-gen systems are going to allow backwards compatibility through physical media. However, it's also doubtful that we will ever lose our PSN purchases and I'm sure our PSN IDs and trophy are going to carry over into the next gen.

So by buying physical versions of games to save now since the cost of memory is so high, are we in the long term screwing ourselves over? I'm starting to think this way about my PS3 purchases also. Maybe we all need to start buying digital so that the PSN will honor our purchases in the future as we move closer to the PS4.
#2BigReedPosted 1/28/2013 2:21:32 PM
I don't understand this.
---
U.S. Army Airborne Veteran
#3Mister MoneyPosted 1/28/2013 2:23:09 PM
I used to be anti-digital. Now I'm buying 95% digital and 5% physical.
---
Japanese Import System Collection: PSP-3000 (White/Blue, Black/Red, Red/Black, Sky Blue/Marine Blue), PS3 (Scarlet Red), PS Vita (Cosmic Red, Crystal White)
#4fourgigmanPosted 1/28/2013 2:23:47 PM
Woot!
---
PSN: bulletproofvita
#5GhetsisPosted 1/28/2013 2:24:04 PM
Not anymore than you shot yourself in the foot whenever you bought all those NES/SNES games all those years ago. (You can only play digital versions on your Wii!)

Sure, the next console might not be (physically) backwards compatible, but it's not like your old systems are going to explode when the new ones are released.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#6GradyHooverPosted 1/28/2013 2:27:41 PM
kah posted...
Considering Sony's past, it's doubtful that next-gen systems are going to allow backwards compatibility through physical media. However, it's also doubtful that we will ever lose our PSN purchases and I'm sure our PSN IDs and trophy are going to carry over into the next gen.

Sure, the digital store will ALWAYS be there... there's no danger of PlayStation or Sony EVER going away.. NOT EVER. :P

So by buying physical versions of games to save now since the cost of memory is so high, are we in the long term screwing ourselves over? I'm starting to think this way about my PS3 purchases also. Maybe we all need to start buying digital so that the PSN will honor our purchases in the future as we move closer to the PS4.

Wait, is there some reason your Vita or PS3 are going to no longer be playable in the future?
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#7AceAndJunpeiPosted 1/28/2013 2:29:22 PM
but it's not like your old systems are going to explode when the new ones are released.

Lies. Everytime I've bought a successor console the previous one burst into flames and gave me 3rd degree burns.

I'm marking this for false info as fact!
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/62168949?page=1
Goon claims 90k to 70k is "70% drop in sales"
#8lightsidejediPosted 1/28/2013 2:29:53 PM
the cost barrier is still a huge problem for me going entirely digital. I mean look at psp games in the psn store compared to retail and even in soem cases vita games. The price difference is too high in most cases for me personally to justify going all digital.
---

"enjoy it while it lasts.. there's always someone faster than you out there and it's only a matter of time before they catch up"
#9gldooriiPosted 1/28/2013 2:30:47 PM
Just because gaming generations/consoles move on...doesn't make older stuff non-playable. If the PS4 doesn't play PS3 physical games, so what? Keep your PS3 to play them. The only people that seem to be "scared" of stuff like this are the ones that seem to be pretty new to gaming in general. Those that are growing up with the PS2/PS3, Xbox/360, etc and see that companies stop support backwards compatibility with physical media.

Just because you buy digital doesn't mean it's going to be playable on the next console. The Vita was and still is a perfect example. People bought PS1 and PSP games digitally, but still can't play them on the Vita. So, the only way to play them is on the previous consoles, etc.
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#10fourgigmanPosted 1/28/2013 2:33:24 PM
AceAndJunpei posted...
but it's not like your old systems are going to explode when the new ones are released.

Lies. Everytime I've bought a successor console the previous one burst into flames and gave me 3rd degree burns.

I'm marking this for false info as fact!

"You have just bought a new console I will now self desrtruct in 5 seconds."- Vita
---
PSN: bulletproofvita