Remember when everyone thought the VITA would be 300$ or more?

#31RD_21Posted 1/29/2013 1:35:47 PM
Anclation posted...
RD_21 posted...
Final_Tran posted...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/57947095

Now everyone is whining about its cost, har har har

Yeah I remember when they announced it was ONLY 250$ and people were ecstatic and giving them a standing ovation.

I remember because I was part of the people who were freaking that it was only 250$.

Then Nintendo did their panic price drop which damage the industry more than they could imagine (now everyone think that if they don't buy something right at launch the price will drop, can be good for consumers, but bad for company if they can't make money anymore they won't be there for long) and then people started to think that the Vita was too expensive.

Wow..first of all, the 3DS is now profitable, so it's not like companies can't make any money if their products are reasonably priced. But as to your bigger point, seriously? You're seriously complaining about price cuts of all things, because they hurt overpriced competing products? What you should be complaining about is companies overpricing their consoles at launch (Sony with the PS3 and Vita, Nintendo with the 3DS and arguably the Wii U) despite not even having any true system selling game ready, simply assuming that the brand will sell the system for them. Time after time that has proven to be a mistake, which has made drastic action necessary, including (but not limited to) price cuts. If Sony can't afford to take the steps necessary in order to save the Vita then that's their problem, Nintendo was in a strong enough financial situation to afford short term loss for long term gain, and they were obviously right to make use of that advantage.

Also, you didn't even begin to address the Vita's hidden costs that make the 250$ price tag misleading.

I was complaining about the price drop? News to me, because I wasn't complaining, merely stating facts and making an observation.

When it was announced at 250$ people were happy... FACT
Nintendo did a panic price drop... FACT
Did it hurt the market because people are no expecting price drop if they don't buy something... FACT

I never said the 3DS wasn't profitable or that the Vita can't be profitable at 180$ or whatever price they may one day drop it. All I'm saying is that the consumer thinking they can get QUICK price drop by not buying something at launch did damage the market.

When the PS3 was 600$ I said NOPE. And I waited until it was 300$ which was the perfect price for me.

But it's the fact that a lot of people didn't wanted to buy the Vita at 250$ because they were expecting a quick price drop and didn't want to have paid the higher price like 3DS launch owner did, that was damaging and it creates a dangerous precedent.

Of course your product is only worth what people will pay it and free market rules and all those, but Nintendo made it that people were afraid to buy it at launch and get screwed.

And again this is not complaining, it's merely discussing the effect of the price drop Nintendo did, one way or the other I don't care too much and I don't own a 3DS.
#32LitCandlezPosted 1/29/2013 1:44:53 PM(edited)
shampoowarrior posted...
Sailor Goon posted...
Yes, as you're trying to compare apples to oranges. Vita is higher tech electronics, of course its going to be more expensive. It's like saying the 3DS is better than an iPad because it's cheaper.
Fact remains, you can get a Vita and 4gb card and game for $200-$250.

No, it would be like saying the 3DS is a better gaming platform than an iPad because it is less expensive and has better games.

Where can you get a Vita, 4GB card, and game for less than $250? Besides Craigslist, ebay?

No one has ever said that the Vita isn't good tech, just that it was expensive and possibly not worth buying over its competition.

I got a Vita and a 32gb card for less than $250.

Dat Amazon black friday sale

Dat Sony 25% off sale.

Dats $210 bux. Cheaper than a 3DS.

In fact, since 2 games, and 3 months of PS+ were added you should take off those prices.

$112 :D
---
GAMEFAQS- Where posting a different opinion is trolling, and moderators are always right! We all love this website!
I have a vita. PSN-LitCandles
#33Big_IsaacPosted 1/29/2013 2:05:46 PM
RD_21 posted...
I was complaining about the price drop? News to me, because I wasn't complaining, merely stating facts and making an observation.

When it was announced at 250$ people were happy... FACT
Nintendo did a panic price drop... FACT
Did it hurt the market because people are no expecting price drop if they don't buy something... FACT

I never said the 3DS wasn't profitable or that the Vita can't be profitable at 180$ or whatever price they may one day drop it. All I'm saying is that the consumer thinking they can get QUICK price drop by not buying something at launch did damage the market.

When the PS3 was 600$ I said NOPE. And I waited until it was 300$ which was the perfect price for me.

But it's the fact that a lot of people didn't wanted to buy the Vita at 250$ because they were expecting a quick price drop and didn't want to have paid the higher price like 3DS launch owner did, that was damaging and it creates a dangerous precedent.

Of course your product is only worth what people will pay it and free market rules and all those, but Nintendo made it that people were afraid to buy it at launch and get screwed.

And again this is not complaining, it's merely discussing the effect of the price drop Nintendo did, one way or the other I don't care too much and I don't own a 3DS.

smooth move, Nintendo.
1. sell your hardware overdpriced to squeeze extra money out of earlier adopters and tempt the competition to meet the price
2. drop the price, temping people to buy it by the truckload and condition the market to expect early and drastic drops, thereby killing its competition

if all of this was an intentional strategy, than you have to applaud Nintendo. dirty or not, it worked like a charm
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#34Sailor GoonPosted 1/29/2013 2:12:58 PM
plo617 posted...
The cheapest Vita model was $250. The cheapest memory card was $20. Why even add the cost of the game, as if that isn't the case with most consoles? That's $270 plus tax. That doesn't sound like much of a hidden cost.

Nintendo fanboy logic is to take the most expensive model of the Vita, take the most expensive memory card and add multiple games in order to make an arguement, because if they don't they don't have anything to go on.
---
"The Vita sold six times more than the 3DS so far" - n0matter
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#35RD_21Posted 1/29/2013 2:13:04 PM
Big_Isaac posted...
smooth move, Nintendo.
1. sell your hardware overdpriced to squeeze extra money out of earlier adopters and tempt the competition to meet the price
2. drop the price, temping people to buy it by the truckload and condition the market to expect early and drastic drops, thereby killing its competition

if all of this was an intentional strategy, than you have to applaud Nintendo. dirty or not, it worked like a charm

Not saying it wasn't a good short term and that it wasn't smart, but it remains to be seen if it will be a long term move if Nintendo scared early adopters for every future console/handhelds for a couple of years.
#36shampoowarriorPosted 1/30/2013 7:44:55 AM
Ghetsis posted...
Not that I disagree with your point, but I couldn't help but notice you conveniently forgot to factor in tax for the 3DS...

Honest mistake. At 10%, I guess that would add $27. So $297 for the most expensive model of 3DS + 32GB memory + game, non-bundled.

LitCandlez posted...
I got a Vita and a 32gb card for less than $250.

Dat Amazon black friday sale

Dat Sony 25% off sale.

Dats $210 bux. Cheaper than a 3DS.

In fact, since 2 games, and 3 months of PS+ were added you should take off those prices.

$112 :D

I disagree with subtracting things out of the price but there's no arguing that you got a good deal. One that cannot be emulated every single day of the week, like the 3DS prices you're comparing to, but still a good deal.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior