Konami: no castlevania LoS mirror of fate vita due to lack of stereoscopic 3D

#71cadorPosted 1/29/2013 5:14:13 PM
Lots of people talking here as if higher resolutions isn't another form of a gimmick. Like 3d, HD is a way to visually immerse your audience. This is not bad by any means but lets not pretend its essential to gameplay.

Can you tell me when was the last time detailed hair strands, "realistic" facial features, well defined musculature etc. on the character models(All visible thanks to HD) help gameplay in anyway? Did those highly detailed character models help you perform combos in Tekken, or improve your aim in FPS games or something?
---
"Corn-cob-man? There's a lot of sick people in this town."- Red Guy
#72NerdstickPosted 1/29/2013 5:17:08 PM
I dunno, they're called VIDEO games. You don't need HD, but HD adds a lot to the experience.

3D on the 3DS adds -nothing-, for me at least. Other than eye strain.
#73lunchEATSyouPosted 1/29/2013 5:26:54 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
The age of the gimmick has begun.

Too bad Konami doesn't realize that the 3D option on the 3DS more or less blows hard ass. It has yet to improve a single thing.

At least the 3D can be turned off. Vita owners are stuck with the terrible rear-touch pad.
---
"Are you kidding me? Japan hates anything American. The US bombed their ass and they are also xenophobic."
-ElGado, pride of the Wii U board
#74legendarylemurPosted 1/29/2013 5:28:12 PM
xfactor posted...
Jobocan posted...
xfactor posted...
Perhaps stereoscopic 3d is an essential part of the game?

It's a side-scrolling platformer/button-masher, 3D isn't an essential part. AND 3D can't be an "essential" part of any 3DS game since the feature can be turned off.

I guess game companies just don't want to develop on the Vita because right now it's not profitable but they can't say that outright (better to not piss Sony off/make the situation worse) so we end up getting bullcrap excuses instead.

Its not a platformer nor a button masher. Its an action adventure title in 3D, fought in a 2.5 perspective with dynamic camera.

Yes it can. Mario 3D land have you missing jump in some parts without 3D.

Let me also add Pushmo. Pushmo is a critically acclaimed game that is nearly impossible to play without 3D. You need to know depth in order to complete a good deal of those puzzles. There's also Xevious 3D. A game shmup to be certain, but it also becomes a completely different game depending on whether you have 3D on or not. They had to recode the entire game just because of 3D. It's because if you focus the air, you can't focus the ground, and if you focus the ground, you can't focus the air. Quickly switching depth (which is second nature to human beings) and dodging bullets from both the air and the ground adds immersion and creative fun to the game.
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
Catch the Rainbow
#75JobocanPosted 1/29/2013 5:38:05 PM(edited)
xfactor posted...
Yes it can. Mario 3D land have you missing jump in some parts without 3D.

Maybe you didn't play the same Super Mario 3D Land I did, but I played it with the 3D turned off for the most part. It looked really good, but not once was it actually needed or useful.

cador posted...
Lots of people talking here as if higher resolutions isn't another form of a gimmick. Like 3d, HD is a way to visually immerse your audience. This is not bad by any means but lets not pretend its essential to gameplay.

Can you tell me when was the last time detailed hair strands, "realistic" facial features, well defined musculature etc. on the character models(All visible thanks to HD) help gameplay in anyway? Did those highly detailed character models help you perform combos in Tekken, or improve your aim in FPS games or something?

You're talking just about visual style here. HD is not just about better textures or anything. HD means more pixels for the developer to use. So HD can be used to put more things on screen which, if used properly, can in fact improve gameplay. It almost never does, of course, but it's possible.
3D can't. Pushmo might be the best example of good 3D use, but even then it could have been mitigated by just changing the camera angle.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#76LinkMaster2703Posted 1/29/2013 5:33:30 PM
Semp1 posted...
Grown men who play games don't keepm 3D on and children don't play Castlevania. The game Franchise has no wide appeal on the 3DS. Either way who cares.

That's just stupid, people who like 3D keep 3D on, those that don't turn it off. It has nothing to do with age. There also probably more "grown men" who own a 3DS than "grown men" who own a Vita because next to no one owns a Vita.

Also, wide appeal is pretty irrelevant. If 25% with a Vita buy a game (keep in mind, 25% would be a huge, very unrealistically high attach rate) vs 5% of people with a 3DS buying a game, the 3DS game still sold more because of how tiny the Vita's install base is. This is why sales matter and it's probably the real reason that Castlevania isn't coming to Vita.

I really want to like my Vita more, but it gets hard to when developers keep making excuses for games not coming.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/C_Dalke
#77cadorPosted 1/29/2013 5:55:31 PM
Nerdstick posted...
I dunno, they're called VIDEO games. You don't need HD, but HD adds a lot to the experience.

3D on the 3DS adds -nothing-, for me at least. Other than eye strain.

I'm not talking about experience though. I'm talking about gameplay which people are arguing 3d adds nothing to and making it a gimmick. But like I said, same goes for HD. It adds nothing to gameplay and can be considered a gimmick.

Like I said, they visually immerse the player so were on the same side when you say HD adds to the experience.

Jobocan posted...

You're talking just about visual style here. HD is not just about better textures or anything. HD means more pixels for the developer to use. So HD can be used to put more things on screen which, if used properly, can in fact improve gameplay. It almost never does, of course, but it's possible.
3D can't. Pushmo might be the best example of good 3D use, but even then it could have been mitigated by just changing the camera angle.

I'd say putting more things onscreen has more to do with processing power than HD. For visual reference(Not gameplay reference), check out some bullet hell games. I don't think you can put things on the screen more than that but those aren't in HD. With HD though, you can put the same amount of things on screen and those things would be in greater detail.
---
"Corn-cob-man? There's a lot of sick people in this town."- Red Guy
#78Big_IsaacPosted 1/29/2013 6:05:54 PM
oh wow, I can't believe they said that with a straight face.
come on, Konami, you gotta admit that reason is BS. just be honest and say that you won't be putting the game on Vita because the projected sales don't justify the development cost of a port
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#79Shadowfxd2Posted 1/29/2013 6:18:34 PM
darkphiresage posted...
Shadowfxd2 posted...
Shadowfxd2 posted...
Vita is low res itself. My phone has 720p and my Tablet. The Vita would look awful on the tablet and maybe ok on the phone. Anyways downing another machine is fun, right?

would have been better at low res since a lot of vita games don't run native anyway LOL

I'm just pointing out how much he lashes out about 3DS, when it's outselling it by a lot and has much better selling games and isn't filled with ports. I don't understand why the Vita fans need to try to down the successful handheld, while their bells and whistles console has failed so bad?

i would be able to take your post seriously if you didn't stay on this board and bash the vita like it was your full time job. hating on something that's winning, while it comes naturally to humans, is still pretty sad. hating on something that's losing, daily and going for a year strong at that like some of these guys have, is downright pathetic.

And this. Two of the same people on opposite ends of the spectrum.

at least I own a Vita and when I "bash" it (tell the truth about it), I'm actually talking from experience. Unlike Monkeyspoon, who hates and doesn't own anything Nintendo and bashes it, because he thinks he's mature playing the Sony systems!
---
http://i.imgur.com/NbGmq.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/ARXXY.jpg
Equals: http://i.imgur.com/ZpBae.jpg, Hmmm: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29629070.jpg
#80DunGoofdPosted 1/29/2013 6:25:26 PM
SpicyRamen10 posted...
I own a 3ds and a vita, and I think the 3d on the ds is a pointless gimmick like the back touch of the vita. It's just some stupid developer making up an excuse b/c he's too much of a wuss to develop for a system that's sadly dying. There should be more companies like ChunSoft who made a game for both handhelds though granted the vita version wasn't as good.

So making smart business decisions makes you a wuss nowadays?