Do you guys think the PlayStation Vita's current pricing is affecting its sales?

#11YarottPosted 1/29/2013 10:37:14 AM
ChemicalBurrito posted...
NiMH posted...
I think the vita is actually worth what they are asking for it. That said, it needs memory with it for that price.

So in other words, it's actually NOT worth the asking price.

As it is, yes.
---
Throughout Internet History, there weren't any Ganons or Zeldas, only Links.
The Official Stiltzkin of all boards
#12yankee6903Posted 1/29/2013 10:38:35 AM
kingofall214 posted...
yankee6903 posted...
Jeroisourosin posted...
The only reason people don't buy the vita is because they can't afford it? Really? That's the logic we are STILL falling back on?

Most definitely for two reasons:

1. Real life example: 3DS was not doing that good. They dropped the price and BAM it sold like hotcakes.

2. Comparison: I can buy a 360 or a PS3, full fledged consoles with MORE games, for $250 so why buy a Vita?

Both of those are PROOF it needs a price drop.

1 They lost profits which is a companies main goal to get. More sales =/= greater profits especially if they drop it so it sells for less then what it costs to make

2 Because it's portable.

1. MOST companies sell the hardware, especially at the beginning, at a loss and make profit in games. Vita costs below 200 so there is room to drop it.

2. Just because its portable doesnt mean they can overcharge. Less games, less support, less tech specs that its console counterpart but more expensive? Come on dude.
---
PSN: nightshade6903 GT:nightshade6903
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative
#13kingofall214Posted 1/29/2013 10:45:01 AM(edited)
yankee6903 posted...
kingofall214 posted...
yankee6903 posted...
Jeroisourosin posted...
The only reason people don't buy the vita is because they can't afford it? Really? That's the logic we are STILL falling back on?

1. Real life example: 3DS was not doing that good. They dropped the price and BAM it sold like hotcakes.

2. Comparison: I can buy a 360 or a PS3, full fledged consoles with MORE games, for $250 so why buy a Vita?

1 They lost profits which is a companies main goal to get. More sales =/= greater profits especially if they drop it so it sells for less then what it costs to make

2 Because it's portable.

1. MOST companies sell the hardware, especially at the beginning, at a loss and make profit in games. Vita costs below 200 so there is room to drop it.

2. Just because its portable doesnt mean they can overcharge. Less games, less support, less tech specs that its console counterpart but more expensive? Come on dude.

1 Edit - sorry the first console to do it was the ps2 and the original xbox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader#Video_game_consoles

2 Yes it's more expensive the console because it's in a smaller package. By your logic smartphones are overly priced because 1 gb of ram and a 1 ghz processor would cost pennys for a computer.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#14yankee6903Posted 1/29/2013 10:49:35 AM
kingofall214 posted...
yankee6903 posted...
kingofall214 posted...
yankee6903 posted...
Jeroisourosin posted...

2 Because it's portable.

1 Edit - sorry the first console to do it was the ps2 and the original xbox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader#Video_game_consoles

2 Yes it's more expensive the console because it's in a smaller package. By your logic smartphones are overly priced because 1 gb of ram and a 1 ghz processor would cost pennys for a computer.

Smartphones are not dedicated gaming devices. They provide phone service, internet, apps, etc etc
---
PSN: nightshade6903 GT:nightshade6903
I am not a Republican or a Democrat, I am a conservative
#15kingofall214Posted 1/29/2013 11:00:33 AM
yankee6903 posted...
Smartphones are not dedicated gaming devices. They provide phone service, internet, apps, etc etc

You're arguing the cost of the vita's parts shouldn't cost that much because the ps3 can do all that and better. It's like arguing that an iphone shouldn't cost 700 because with that kind of money you can buy a computer 10x more powerful. It cost as much as a ps3 because it's damn near close to ps3 graphics and it's a portable.

The 3DS price drop was Nintendo's first time ever selling a console at a loss. There strategy is to make a simpler device that costs less and sell it for more. Sony has taken this approach with the vita .
---
#16kingofall214Posted 1/29/2013 11:14:22 AM
As for the topic, I think it is priced fairly. Whether It's priced so it sells enough vita's Sony wants is another thing. Kaz said it's within the scope the projected just at the lower end. Unlike the 3DS which was sold no where near the scope Nintendo had projected hence the price drop.

My guess is Sony is just waiting for the parts for the vita to become cheap enough to drop the price. Until then there is nothing they can do. Sony thinks it's a fair price. Customers don't want to pay that price. It's not Sony's duty to get their product in every hand or to sell it at a loss because consumers demand it.
---
#17shampoowarriorPosted 1/29/2013 11:55:11 AM
I don't think it is the price so much as the lack of system-selling software.

I don't like to have to always beat this dead horse, but the 3DS sold more rapidly at $250 than the Vita has. The price point is not ideal, but it isn't a gamebreaker. Not having a reason to actually own the system is the problem.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#18BigReedPosted 1/29/2013 12:00:02 PM
It is. Consoles take roughly 2 years to build up a large software library of worthwhile games, which makes people more willing to fork over the money.

Now, there is too much competition for something that is 249 dollars, and 99 dollars more if you plan on going digital. Phones, tablets, mp3 players (samsung and ipod touches) can do so many things better than the Vita, that few people want to make the jump.

My gut is telling me Sony has some big changes coming to the Vita. And I think that is going to spike sales in Japan, but won't help as much in NA.
---
U.S. Army Airborne Veteran
#19Sailor GoonPosted 1/29/2013 12:18:50 PM
For what you get, the Vita is actually incredibly cheap. You get a system that's markedly more powerful than a 3DS, and comes with a 5" OLED screen and its only $80 more expensive than the former system.

The only thing thats really hurting the system is nothing to do with the system itself but by the blind hatred and fanboyism from Nintendo fanboys.

You can't tell me that price is a negative factor when you can get the system, a 4gb memory card and a game for only $250
---
"The Vita sold six times more than the 3DS so far" - n0matter
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#20GradyHooverPosted 1/29/2013 12:19:26 PM
Where's the option for "probably a little bit"?
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games