Will the Vita ever see a 2K sports title?

#1EdwardDigitalPosted 2/3/2013 5:54:07 PM
I think I asked the same question on this board in the past but didn't get much discussion. I ask again to see if I can get people talking, especially given some new information.

I ask this because I always enjoy playing NBA 2K with my friends at their places but I almost always end up losing. With practice I think I could actually become better. The easy answer would be to just buy a PS3 and play but I don't want to buy a console just for one game. (I'm sure there are other PS3 games I'd like but for the sake of this topic and the fact that I just don't want one right now, ignore it)

It would make sense that 2K would port the game to the Vita, no? However, with third party support for the Vita at a minimum and 2Ks other series (Bioshock) coming to the Vita is as good as hell freezing over at this point, are there any chances of seeing a 2K sports game (NBA in particular) on the Vita? They've done so with the PSP and even released this years edition on the PSP (which I hear is thriving only in Japan) but not on the Vita which didn't make sense to me. Why? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see basketball being big in Japan, so whats the reasoning?

My friend put it to me like this. 2K has always supported the PSP and decided to make a throwaway port on the PSP (not like the PSP 2K games have been good anyways). It was cheap to develop for and they wouldn't want to risk investing into the shaky Vita. 2013 will be the last year any Sony handheld will see a 2K sports game. 2014 has already been confirmed for the PC and consoles.

He seems to make sense but I wanted to see what other people had to think. I'd really love to see this game on the Vita.

TL:DR All evidence points to the Vita not getting an NBA 2K sports title but they're still being developed for PSP. This doesn't really make sense as the 2K sports titles cater to American fans but the platform they're being developed for is only thriving in Japan. Why is this?
#2EdwardDigital(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 6:22:18 PM
No one has anything to say?
#3MobileWarfarePosted 2/3/2013 7:03:23 PM
(at doesn't make much sense to me either, I know I would get an nba 2k game the second it came out. At the same time, my friends would too. Like my friend Kaleb who was upset that the vita didn't have a nba game. He had to buy the PSP version of the game to play an nba on the go. This is very disappointing as it would make much more sense to release an nba game in America(as you said in your first post). As I said before, me and a lot of my friends who have a vita would definitely get it.

If done right, nba could be a system seller for some. I'm not saying it get a lot of vita sales, but it would get a few. As long as it had good enough graphics, most game modes, and great gameplay, there is almost no way they wouldn't make a profit. Even with the small number of vita owners. Any thoughts?
---
PSN: MobilizedWarfare, XL: Skillfreakout
Currently playing: Skyrim(xbox), Black ops 2(xbox), Far cry 3(xbox), Little Big planet(vita), Gravity Rush(vita)
#4bigdaddydmacPosted 2/3/2013 7:07:01 PM
I hope so since 2k has the rights to wwe now... It would be nice to see NBA and NHL on the Vita. So far even Madden 25 (2013) is unconfirmed for Vita.
---
psn:BigDaddyD-Mac
"Before society can move forward, we all must agree upon the rules! Now Kneel!" -Galvatron
#5EdwardDigital(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 7:15:37 PM
bigdaddydmac posted...
I hope so since 2k has the rights to wwe now... It would be nice to see NBA and NHL on the Vita. So far even Madden 25 (2013) is unconfirmed for Vita.

Isn't madden an EA franchise anyways? There's MLB the show, Madden and FIFA on it as well as other EA franchises (Need For Speed) I have confidence that EA will continue to support Vita in some fashion. 2K perplexes me though in its decision to develop an American sport on a console thats not selling in America...
#6zike_42Posted 2/3/2013 7:24:29 PM
I would surprised if they didn't have a NBA 2K14 on the Vita next season. As you said, the PSP 2K13 was a throwaway, hell it's almost identical to 2K12. I don't think the 2K guys had enough time to get a proper Vita game out so decided to just put out a carbon copy for the PSP and wait until next season. This is only my opinion but I think it's 85-90% that there will be a NBA 2k14 on the Vita.
---
Great blog about the Australian National Basketball League - http://thenblblog.blogspot.com/
#7EdwardDigital(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 7:27:50 PM
zike_42 posted...
I would surprised if they didn't have a NBA 2K14 on the Vita next season. As you said, the PSP 2K13 was a throwaway, hell it's almost identical to 2K12. I don't think the 2K guys had enough time to get a proper Vita game out so decided to just put out a carbon copy for the PSP and wait until next season. This is only my opinion but I think it's 85-90% that there will be a NBA 2k14 on the Vita.

It could be possible but with Bioshock Vita being vaporware and 2K14 already being announced for consoles and PC I think 2K doesn't want to put anything out on the Vita.
#8sausage54Posted 2/3/2013 7:32:38 PM
I would perform a modified backflip for an NBA 2K Vita edition
---
The only thing I can control is my EFFORT, ATTITUDE, and, FOCUS.
#9plo617Posted 2/3/2013 7:38:10 PM
At this point, I'd settle for NBA2K13 this year for the Vita. Similar to what EA did with Madden 13.
#10EdwardDigital(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 7:43:36 PM
I don't want to sound like an entitled whiner but it really just doesn't make any sense.
2K, please make a crossplay enabled NBA 2K (or any other sports title that may come out should people want them) for the PS3 and Vita.