Holy crap, MGS2 has terrible controls.

#1LitCandlezPosted 2/4/2013 5:34:18 AM(edited)
Please answer this.

If Snake puts his back to his wall because you press the analog stick down. The camera immediately shifts so that it is like this:

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/mgs2substance/mgs2s_screen002.jpg

Now you have no clue how to go from that to this:

http://www.theisozone.com/images/screens/ps2-889-21311226217.jpg

So awkward. I ended up getting used to it and enjoying the game. Until the boss. Apparently I can instantly tranquilize a bunch of Russians with a single dart, but this FEMALE PREGNANT SOLDIER takes like 10. Frustrated me.

Besides that the game is pretty fun. I hope the entire game series isn't like this. I read the entire plot of MG, MG2, and MGS. They made some references to Mei Ling I didn't understand though.
---
GAMEFAQS- Where posting a different opinion is trolling, and moderators are always right! We all love this website!
I have a vita. PSN-LitCandles
#2EraseGreyPosted 2/4/2013 5:44:54 AM
Peeking around a corner on the vita is annoying when compared to the ps3. The L2/R2 buttons are replaced by a left and right swipe/hold motion on the back panel. I agree that this sucks, but having d-pad down is just amazing when lowering weapons. Until that, I was never able to lift my gun without de-equiping it to put the gun down. Never got used to the pressure button controls on the ps2/3. As for the story, I already have a feeling you're going to have complaints there too.
---
PSN: DeadCell715
#3kuragari1anonlyPosted 2/4/2013 6:16:22 AM
If you're having issues with a lady not getting tranq'd in a few rounds, just wait until you get to the fat man.
---
Destroy them all! Shoot the core!
"I am in awe at your ability to break every game you touch xD" - Capt. McWaffleton
#4ThugETHPosted 2/4/2013 7:02:56 AM
I bought this game at launch and am still stuck at the Fat Man fight due to the horrible controls.
I had no problem finishing it numerous times on the PS2.
---
[1:04pm] <R33P3R> how can a game be epic on a phone?
#5skyrimer3dPosted 2/4/2013 7:03:17 AM
I tried to like MGS2, I swear I tried, I've never played before until Vita version but I found it just awful as a game, probably I'm too used to modern gaming, but the isometric view was incredibly annoying, shooting controls were stupid, some of the stealth parts made no sense to me, and so on,. At the end I just watched the whole game on youtube to learn the story, which is absolutely amazing, and I don't feel bad at all, the game just played awful for me.
#6jjeerryyonly9Posted 2/4/2013 7:29:55 AM
I'm kinda bummed to hear this... MGS3 plays like a dream.
---
TO MICHAEL!!!
PSN: RadKickAss /// 3DS: 0662-2594-4115
#7LitCandlez(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 1:10:12 PM
Thug4L1fe posted...
I bought this game at launch and am still stuck at the Fat Man fight due to the horrible controls.
I had no problem finishing it numerous times on the PS2.

:/
---
GAMEFAQS- Where posting a different opinion is trolling, and moderators are always right! We all love this website!
I have a vita. PSN-LitCandles
#8Tepig_BaconPosted 2/4/2013 6:40:43 PM
The shooting controls are intentionally awkward. Forcing you to make sure you're in a stealthy position to take out a guard, and making sure you can't just kill everyone during alert. During boss battles, though, it can get annoying. I was really pissed they changed it for 4/PW though. Now it's just a 3rd person shooter.
---
Metal Gear!?
#9twerterPosted 2/4/2013 6:44:13 PM
The controls don't bother me as much as the isometric camera. I'm playing the MGS1 Snake VR missions and I can't see a damn thing. Probably going to have to watch a guide to get through those. How unfortunate.
---
Hey baby. I noticed you have braces. I have braces, too.
PSN: fuzywuzy
#10enigma2274Posted 2/4/2013 6:46:20 PM
I would rather they had put MGS 3 and Peace Walker together for Vita instead of 2 and 3.
---
Currently playing:EDF 2017, P3P, LBP Vita, Far Cry 3, Ni No Kuni