Sony lower vita (and psp) sales forecast again: 7million by 31st march

#41Big_IsaacPosted 2/7/2013 5:03:13 AM
wow, you really have to brush up on your knowledge of economy, bluedmom

companies live or die based on estimations.
when they debated the pricing of the Vita, they had to make sales predictions to calculate the point where they would start profiting from the vita
these sales predictions are what the price of the Vita is based on.

"at tis price, we predict 16 million units sold in the first year, which implies ____ units sold in 3 years, which means we start making profit 3 years into the vita's life"

this was the long-term plan.
however, since sales are so low, Sony had to lower their predictions and hence push the break-even Point much farther into the future.
like it or not, this is already bad even if it happens only ONCE in the lifetime of a product, let alone 3 times in less than a year.
with the less-than-perfect financial situation Sony is in at the moment, having sales predictions of their new handheld cut by over 50% while its competitor out-sells it 5:1 does not make the gaming branch look very good in the eyes of the overall company
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#42bluedmonPosted 2/7/2013 5:06:19 AM
Quote:lmao @ this bluedmon guy making a fool of himself.

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about, so just stop already. The Vita is doing horrible and this lowered expectation is horrible news. Stop trying to play it off like it's nothing serious and acting like you know what you're talking about.

@archedsoul
it seems like i have a better idea what im talking about then you do at least. Just cause you cant read a chart properly doesnt mean i dont.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#43kingofall214Posted 2/7/2013 5:10:17 AM
archedsoul posted...
lmao @ this bluedmon guy making a fool of himself.

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about, so just stop already. The Vita is doing horrible and this lowered expectation is horrible news. Stop trying to play it off like it's nothing serious and acting like you know what you're talking about.

See you are no better than him. He at least is being civil and trying to get the facts from the proper sources. You just saying the vita is doing horrible and that the lowering of projections is horrible is just as bad. You are the opposite end of the argument.

It's not "horrible" as you are saying. "Horrible" is what you would say if Sony is going to go bankrupt or discontinue the vita as they have no other choice. "Horrible" is what Nintendo went through with the 3DS where they had to ether drop the price or face serious financial disaster.

The vita isn't selling off the charts. We get it. I would bet money though that they are toughing it out until they can drop the price without losing money. That seems to be there plan. They just need the cost to make a vita to drop before they can drop the price on the vita.

It makes the most sense. I as a company would take low sales that still make money for a few months until I can price drop the vita than price drop the vita now and lose money because it costs more to make than what it is sold for.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#44bluedmonPosted 2/7/2013 5:16:13 AM
Quote:wow, you really have to brush up on your knowledge of economy, bluedmom

when they debated the pricing of the Vita, they had to make sales predictions to calculate the point where they would start profiting from the vita

"at tis price, we predict 16 million units sold in the first year, which implies ____ units sold in 3 years, which means we start making profit 3 years into the vita's life"

however, since sales are so low, Sony had to lower their predictions and hence push the break-even Point much farther into the future.
like it or not, this is already bad even if it happens only ONCE in the lifetime of a product, let alone 3 times in less than a year.
with the less-than-perfect financial situation Sony is in at the moment, having sales predictions of their new handheld cut by over 50% while its competitor out-sells it 5:1 does not make the gaming branch look very good in the eyes of the overall company

@Big_Isaac
not many of you guys can look at the big picture can you? Yes its bad they estimated really bad which is stupid for them but its not gonna bankrupt sony by any means. It hurts the company but its not like sony is some small company like sega was when they fumbled with the dreamcast. Its a big company that deals in so many things that like i said its not there biggest concern when compared to other markets they are in. Smartphones really helped them this past yr. and vita couldve been much worse. You guys just focus too much on one detail instead of looking at the whole.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#45archedsoulPosted 2/7/2013 5:19:55 AM(edited)
bluedmon posted...
Quote:lmao @ this bluedmon guy making a fool of himself.

@archedsoul
it seems like i have a better idea what im talking about then you do at least. Just cause you cant read a chart properly doesnt mean i dont.

That's your best? I don't know how to read the chart? That's the problem, your limited knowledge can't see beyond that chart.

You clearly lack understanding in how all of this works. You lost the little credibility you had the second you tried to compare the PS3's early low sales. NEWSFLASH, the PS3 was a colossal failure for Sony and it still is to today, despite however much it sold.

But continue making a fool out of yourself by concentrating on that chart and ignoring everything else.
#46archedsoulPosted 2/7/2013 5:18:55 AM
kingofall214 posted...
archedsoul posted...
lmao @ this bluedmon guy making a fool of himself.

See you are no better than him. He at least is being civil and trying to get the facts from the proper sources. You just saying the vita is doing horrible and that the lowering of projections is horrible is just as bad. You are the opposite end of the argument.

It's not "horrible" as you are saying. "Horrible" is what you would say if Sony is going to go bankrupt or discontinue the vita as they have no other choice. "Horrible" is what Nintendo went through with the 3DS where they had to ether drop the price or face serious financial disaster.

The vita isn't selling off the charts. We get it. I would bet money though that they are toughing it out until they can drop the price without losing money. That seems to be there plan. They just need the cost to make a vita to drop before they can drop the price on the vita.

It makes the most sense. I as a company would take low sales that still make money for a few months until I can price drop the vita than price drop the vita now and lose money because it costs more to make than what it is sold for.

Hilarious coming from you. You're another person that never knows what he's talking about. Saying stupid things like Sony's entire debt being relinquished come this March because they're gonna be in the black for FY'12 or games going through "encryption/decryption" every time you play.

Fact is, it is horrible. Read Big_Issac's post. He sums it up well enough. You can try to sugarcoat it however you want, but you need to look at the bigger picture (hint: dying company desperately needing the PS4 to save them).
#47MarkCohenBrosPosted 2/7/2013 5:22:57 AM
bluedmon posted...

@Big_Isaac
not many of you guys can look at the big picture can you? Yes its bad they estimated really bad which is stupid for them but its not gonna bankrupt sony by any means. It hurts the company but its not like sony is some small company like sega was when they fumbled with the dreamcast. Its a big company that deals in so many things that like i said its not there biggest concern when compared to other markets they are in. Smartphones really helped them this past yr. and vita couldve been much worse. You guys just focus too much on one detail instead of looking at the whole.

Uh... Sony is a company on the verge of bankruptcy, fighting really hard to survive. They are not what they were in the PS2 days.

This lowered forecast means it will take upwards of 7 years to become profitable at this rate. Compounded with probably double the cost of the development of the PS4 and 16B in debt, it's very bad.
#48R2BDSiPosted 2/7/2013 5:24:23 AM
mjnoir1 posted...
cool story bro
#49ylvisPosted 2/7/2013 5:30:08 AM
bluedmon posted...

@Big_Isaac

No one has said anything about the end of Sony or Sony going bankrupt. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that the Vita situation is bad for Sony. Of course they're not going to say directly that the Vita is selling bad without taking some sort of action (price cut etc.) So they use other terms like "lower than expected" etc. Again you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that lowering your own forecast THREE quarterly reports in a row (from 16 Million to 12 Million to 10 Million to 7 Million) is a bad thing.
#50Big_IsaacPosted 2/7/2013 5:30:14 AM
bluedmon posted...

I never said Sony would go out of business just because of the Vita.
however, look at the facts
1. Sony isn't doing so hot right now
2. Vita isn't doing so hot right now
3. companies that aren't doing so hot tend to get rid of products that aren't doing so hot in order to cut costs and losses.
4. the last product of Sony's gaming arm that got the company a profit was the PS2

what Sony's gaming arm is (and has been this entire generation) is an appendix that's going critical. right now they are still tolerating the pain because they hope things could turn themselves around, but we don't know for how long Sony's board is going to go along with this.

also I'm not saying that shutting down the playstation brand or even the Vita by itself would be the best course of action, but the decisions of corporate idiots (like the ones on Sony's board) are often times not exactly based on intelligent thought
after all, this is the same company that thought they could launch a home console for 600 bucks and that nobody would call BS on them for the PS Move.
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein