Seriously, where the f*** are the games? 3DS already have 5 system sellers

#261xenos74Posted 2/14/2013 10:22:11 AM
GenocideHeart posted...
xenos74 posted...

So let's say we remove all those 50 million versions of Pokemon alone, would the equivalent for the PSP be to remove all the MH sales on it? MH is largely considered as the franchise to save the PSP after all.

/sigh, I just contributed to trolling. Its a rotting feeling indeed

No, because MH isn't a game where you need the previous one to complete the quests list for the next one.

My beef with Pokemon is the whole 'only certain pokemon in each game, if you want them all, buy both or scramble to find people who will trade, sucker' business model. I despise pretty much all games that do this. Not just Pokemon but Robopon, Telefang, etc.

Doesn't work so well outside Japan, where gamers have a lot of physical interaction between each other and local play model is still viable.
Even so, the Pokemon model can reward long time fans if they keep up with all the games and systems,AND they also provide more than sufficient new content for new comers. You're not forced to "Catch 'em all!" But you have that option and even the means to do so if you have the dedication to do it.
Pokemon didn't become as popular as it is today by sticking to that single concept either. Its surprisingly complex and still caters to practically all age groups, willing older people actually try playing the games before bashing it.
One last thing, I'm also pretty sure it was only the Pokemon anime that came up with that "Gotta catch 'em all" phrase and not the actual games. I'm not going to dig around for it but you're welcome to prove me wrong on it if you wish

Anyways, this is the vita board so I'll stop commenting on Nintendo games for the time being
#262confettistormPosted 2/14/2013 10:40:15 AM
It's seriously at a point where even if Namco localized both Tales of Hearts R and Tales of Innocence R, I may have to think twice about getting a Vita.

There's like 4 releases for the 3DS I'm getting in 2 months... Two of them easily 200+ hour games (EO4 and FE:A)
#263Bancario51Posted 2/14/2013 10:43:06 AM
why would anyone get a Vita when a new Vita model is on the horizon. The old model will be discontinued!
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#264GenocideHeartPosted 2/14/2013 10:44:11 AM
AceAndJunpei posted...
^Ruh-roh, the little lady is about to have another meltdown!
Poor girl needs to flame and troll to get her (failed) point across...it's sadlarious.

For such well-known facts, I find a lack of a source downright criminal.

So...source on Pokemon being the only reason DS has such a high attach-rate?;)

And no more tears please...you've already run yourself dry over the past few days sweetie:0)

Statistically speaking, Pokemon is the single best-selling series on DS, and there's... let me see, 11 Pokemon games on it, each of them breaking most sales records on portables? The simple fact of the matter is that if you take total sales of the Pokemon series into account against DS sales, practically every person who owns a DS has at the bare minimum two Pokemon games.

It's a seller whenever it's on a Nintendo system, and it's insanely popular. When you calculate the attach-rate for DS on 3DS, it inevitably is going to be owed largely to Pokemon simply based on the sheer amount of games that it sells.

Even now, Pokemon X and Y is being preordered out the nose in my local shops, and there's massive amounts of hype around it. Plain and simple, whenever you consider DS numbers of any kind, you can rest assured that Pokemon is a good half of the reason why it sells so much, and that's a pessimistic estimate.

I hate the business model of the game - it's a repulsive scam designed to force people to either track down Pokemon in trades and at events (hi Celebi, Mew and other such limited Pokes!) or splurge on both games and/or cheating devices - but it's undeniable that Pokemon sells, and this goes for all games, regardless of whether it's DS, 3DS, GBA or anything else. If Nintendo put proper Pokemon games on WiiU instead of the dumbed down crap that home consoles tend to get (looking at you, Colosseum and XD), I can guaran-damn-tee you that WiiU sales would rise faster than the hair on your head after you shoved your fingers in a socket. And it'd owe it ALL to Pokemon. Not even Mario has this kind of selling power nowadays.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#265GenocideHeartPosted 2/14/2013 10:46:46 AM
xenos74 posted...

Even so, the Pokemon model can reward long time fans if they keep up with all the games and systems,AND they also provide more than sufficient new content for new comers. You're not forced to "Catch 'em all!" But you have that option and even the means to do so if you have the dedication to do it.

That's only true if you disregard the limited edition event Pokemon, which, for some godforsaken reason, still count as pokedex entries even though, realistically, the only way to get them is to go to a Nintendo event or cheat - and if you can't do either because your country doesn't have either thing available, well, sucks to be you.
---
#266SuichimoPosted 2/14/2013 11:00:12 AM
GenocideHeart posted...
AceAndJunpei posted...

More pathetic, brain-dead and source-lacking reassurance...on the Vita board?! Well I never...

Seriously, you make yourself look worse every day here bro...I think you need a time out;)

Are you dense, trolling, slow on the uptake or all three at once? I'm not reassuring a damn thing, I'm attacking the specific business model that Pokemon popularized, what I call 'split one game on two carts'. It doesn't matter what console it happens on, I equally despise it everywhere, Pokemon is just the worst offender.

I find it equally repulsive in DemiKids, and I'm the biggest Megaten fanboy you'll find on this board.

And it's a pretty solid fact that the combined sales of all the DS Pokemon games are so gargantuan they dwarf those of every other game...

If you don't want to count DS sales, you don't get to count PSP sales. Unfortunately for you, that means that you don't really have North American numbers to go off of, as Sony doesn't really want to talk about those.

Also, is it really so bad that a game has an aspect, especially the game that basically invented said aspect, that forces you to work with other people?
---
Aries- The look on your face will be priceless when you find that forty pound watermelon in you colon. -Weird Al
#267xenos74Posted 2/14/2013 11:00:51 AM
GenocideHeart posted...
AceAndJunpei posted...
^Ruh-roh, the little lady is about to have another meltdown!
Poor girl needs to flame and troll to get her (failed) point across...it's sadlarious.

For such well-known facts, I find a lack of a source downright criminal.

So...source on Pokemon being the only reason DS has such a high attach-rate?;)

And no more tears please...you've already run yourself dry over the past few days sweetie:0)

Statistically speaking, Pokemon is the single best-selling series on DS, and there's... let me see, 11 Pokemon games on it, each of them breaking most sales records on portables? The simple fact of the matter is that if you take total sales of the Pokemon series into account against DS sales, practically every person who owns a DS has at the bare minimum two Pokemon games.

It's a seller whenever it's on a Nintendo system, and it's insanely popular. When you calculate the attach-rate for DS on 3DS, it inevitably is going to be owed largely to Pokemon simply based on the sheer amount of games that it sells.

Even now, Pokemon X and Y is being preordered out the nose in my local shops, and there's massive amounts of hype around it. Plain and simple, whenever you consider DS numbers of any kind, you can rest assured that Pokemon is a good half of the reason why it sells so much, and that's a pessimistic estimate.

I hate the business model of the game - it's a repulsive scam designed to force people to either track down Pokemon in trades and at events (hi Celebi, Mew and other such limited Pokes!) or splurge on both games and/or cheating devices - but it's undeniable that Pokemon sells, and this goes for all games, regardless of whether it's DS, 3DS, GBA or anything else. If Nintendo put proper Pokemon games on WiiU instead of the dumbed down crap that home consoles tend to get (looking at you, Colosseum and XD), I can guaran-damn-tee you that WiiU sales would rise faster than the hair on your head after you shoved your fingers in a socket. And it'd owe it ALL to Pokemon. Not even Mario has this kind of selling power nowadays.

I wouldn't call the business model a scam. Perhaps today and in recent games, it is a scam, but it was more a social tool when they came up with it. "Hey here's a good game, play it with a friend and its even better!". Halo had something similar to that on the original Xbox, people would be so hyped to gather together with friends for LAN parties. Yes, I do realize that halo didn't sell 2 or even 3 versions of a nearly identical game.
Final fantasy crystal chronicles had a similar concept too. Play the 1P game and have fun, or invite friends that had the GBA + cable (GameCube game, never tried the newer ones) and enjoy the game even more. Nintendo didn't tell others to buy a Gameboy Advance and cable just to play multiplayer, neither did Square.....but the fact remains that it was an option if you wanted more out of your game

Nowadays its all about online games and features, and local is mostly being phased out, so of course the Pokemon model can be seen as a scam even if its not intended to.
#268xenos74Posted 2/14/2013 11:11:54 AM
GenocideHeart posted...
xenos74 posted...

That's only true if you disregard the limited edition event Pokemon, which, for some godforsaken reason, still count as pokedex entries even though, realistically, the only way to get them is to go to a Nintendo event or cheat - and if you can't do either because your country doesn't have either thing available, well, sucks to be you.

Still, you're statement is mostly irrelevant. For example, Valkyria chronicles came out for Ps3, then shifted to PSP for 2nd game, then remained on PSP for 3rd game and Japan exclusive. Sucks to be you if you're a fan, and don't own a PSP and live in Japan. Just to be clear, I'm not taking a jab at you either.
Same can be said of countless things too. If you're a fan of European music, you most likely won't be getting those concerts in NA or other regions, etc
#269AceAndJunpeiPosted 2/14/2013 11:11:55 AM
Suichimo posted...
GenocideHeart posted...
AceAndJunpei posted...

More pathetic, brain-dead and source-lacking reassurance...on the Vita board?! Well I never...

Seriously, you make yourself look worse every day here bro...I think you need a time out;)

Are you dense, trolling, slow on the uptake or all three at once? I'm not reassuring a damn thing, I'm attacking the specific business model that Pokemon popularized, what I call 'split one game on two carts'. It doesn't matter what console it happens on, I equally despise it everywhere, Pokemon is just the worst offender.

I find it equally repulsive in DemiKids, and I'm the biggest Megaten fanboy you'll find on this board.

And it's a pretty solid fact that the combined sales of all the DS Pokemon games are so gargantuan they dwarf those of every other game...

If you don't want to count DS sales, you don't get to count PSP sales. Unfortunately for you, that means that you don't really have North American numbers to go off of, as Sony doesn't really want to talk about those.

Also, is it really so bad that a game has an aspect, especially the game that basically invented said aspect, that forces you to work with other people?

It's only bad because it didn't originate on a Sony system. It would have been ultra innovative if Sony had come up with it:)
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/62168949?page=1
Goon claims 90k to 70k is "70% drop in sales"
#270GenocideHeartPosted 2/14/2013 11:17:25 AM
Suichimo posted...
GenocideHeart posted...
AceAndJunpei posted...

It is if you don't have many players living in the area. What are you supposed to do if you live in the sticks, take the train to the big city every day just so you can trade?

And my point on DS sales isn't that I don't want to count them, it's that a HUGE chunk of them are Pokemon sales, and Pokemon sells in very large part thanks to this ripoff strategy of dividing one full game in two chunks so that people will be forced to seek people with the other chunk out and hope they're willing to trade - or buy both games - or buy a cheat device - if they actually want to complete the Pokedex. And that's disregarding the event-only Pokemon which, if you have the bad luck of not living in range of one of the events where they're distributed, are lost forever.

It's an extremely shifty, dishonest business scheme, and if it were anything other than games, it'd probably get people arrested over it.

Pokemon is a great idea, but greed is ruining it.
---