The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Why japan gets way more games than US/EU?

#1Sami1000Posted 2/9/2013 2:28:39 PM
I have run into dozen of psp games which seemed like really good games and there is certain vita games too which doesn't seem to ever see western release. Why is that? Are they afraid that they won't sell or is it something else? I'm so sick of that anyone else than people living in JP gets treated like crap. Let's put it this way; Boar has been killed and Japan gets the best pieces and certain parts which they never ever give anyone, then US people gets second best but nowhere near as good stuff as JP and then EU gets bones and sometimes we get thrown a steak (rare occurrence) if we have been behaving good.
#2thepromisedlandPosted 2/9/2013 3:04:26 PM
- The handheld market in Japan is bigger.
- Most of those games are made by low budget studios (the kind of studios that in the west would be making PC games). They make a profit without selling many copies. It's unlikely that they'd sell any better in the west.
- Once you take into account translation fees and paying the development studio there's not much of a profit margin left. To make it even worse the western market charges less for handheld games.
- The profit margins are too small for the bigger companies to care about bringing them over. The smaller companies have so many options to pick from they just take the best of what they can get and there's just not enough of them to for everything to make it's way out of Japan..
#3Bob the AlmightyPosted 2/9/2013 3:34:48 PM
The same reason why US/EU get more PS3 and 360 games than Japan... Different strokes for different folks.
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.
#4Bancario51Posted 2/9/2013 3:40:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31SF5DDMu8o&feature=player_embedded
this is why
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#5HwoarangExpert1Posted 2/9/2013 3:58:19 PM
Bancario51 posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31SF5DDMu8o&feature=player_embedded
this is why

yep, think the video of that game explains it perfectly
---
PSN - Ziaro_7
#6jmtstanPosted 2/9/2013 6:25:47 PM
just like all the killer good apps are all in Korean in the smartphone market... some games are so good, too bad they're in korean language
---
New Vita owner!!!
PSN: jmtstan1138
#7NerdstickPosted 2/9/2013 6:27:38 PM
I'm just happy the Vita isn't region-locked. Nothing's stopping you from importing the import-friendly titles!
#8Sami1000(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 6:46:00 PM
Nerdstick posted...
I'm just happy the Vita isn't region-locked. Nothing's stopping you from importing the import-friendly titles!

I really wish that i could read and understand japanese. I'm 24 for now and i would probably be 30+ when i would understand JP language enough to play their games so its not really worth it.
#9NerdstickPosted 2/9/2013 7:01:14 PM
Sami1000 posted...
Nerdstick posted...

I really wish that i could read and understand japanese. I'm 24 for now and i would probably be 30+ when i would understand JP language enough to play their games so its not really worth it.

I bet when you're 30 you're going to look back to this exact thought and think "Damn, if only I'd actually gone for it I could be playing Japanese games right now..36 isn't worth it." and then when you're 36..
#10Sami1000(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 7:07:58 PM
Nerdstick posted...
Sami1000 posted...
Nerdstick posted...

I bet when you're 30 you're going to look back to this exact thought and think "Damn, if only I'd actually gone for it I could be playing Japanese games right now..36 isn't worth it." and then when you're 36..

Maybe, maybe not. It would have been most useful to know how to read japanese when ps vita was release because i have been playing with ONLY vita from EU launch to this day. I might buy gaming pc at next month or buy mediocre pc and save for ps4. OH! and i might buy 3DS at march if there is monster hunter bundle so i will have more than enough games to play.