Switching from cart to digital - save file kept?

#1smelly_boobPosted 2/12/2013 8:27:54 AM
Has anyone had experience where you had a cartridge of a game and decided later to buy the digital version of the same game.... were you able to keep your save file that you started while using the cart?

please dont post if you are only speculating, looking for people who have done it or know it cant be done... looking to do it with hot shots golf, thanks!
#2TheExiled280Posted 2/12/2013 8:46:37 AM
yes the save file is kept. I bought GR on cart but when it came to PS Plus I downloaded it and the save worked.

CAUTION:

If you delete digital copy the save is erased so it may be smart to backup the save to PC and/or PS Plus before you download the game. once the game is downloaded, the only way to backup the save separately from the entire game is PS Plus
---
Ys Sea of Trees (Subbed) Trailer:
http://youtu.be/ukc74Tnhfsc
#3mrekliPosted 2/12/2013 8:55:47 AM(edited)
Not sure about Hot Shots. There are games that store the save on the GameCard. There are games that store the save on the Memory Card. Check if the file still has data after you remove the GameCard by long pressing the bubble.

Examples:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus - on GameCard
Touch My Katamari - on GameCard
Gravity Rush - on Memory Card
Uncharted - on Memory Card

I have done this with Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus.
---
Every service with a username: mrEkli. Google me if you must.
#4smelly_boob(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 9:24:51 AM(edited)
thanks for the info both of you. especially the heads up that once you go digital the save file cannot be extracted without ps+.... I dont have PS+ at the moment... but I dont plan on ever getting rid of hot shots.....I was going to backup to my PC before I even attempt to switch. So it sounds like if the game saves to the mem card its no big deal.... its a little more complicated if the game saves to the cart
#5gray_fox_00Posted 2/12/2013 11:41:30 AM
mrekli posted...
Not sure about Hot Shots. There are games that store the save on the GameCard. There are games that store the save on the Memory Card. Check if the file still has data after you remove the GameCard by long pressing the bubble.

Examples:

I can try it with Ninja Gaiden sometime this week, but it looks like you can pull the save from a game card with PS+ if the game card is in the Vita at the time. Those games always showed up with a - where the file size usually is until I had one in while manually uploading a save, then is showed a number. Not sure if it's the save file though.

Maybe I'll just put my PS+ version of NGS+ on my spare memory card and try to download whatever data I uploaded tonight.
---
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice
#6smelly_boob(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 12:52:26 PM
I checked at lunch, and all 4 of my cart games (raymen, uncharted, COD, Hot Shots) each had a file size listed.... some were massive (300+mb..) others had only 4000k of space used.... if the game saves to the cart, the file size number reported by the vita should be 0 right?
#7gray_fox_00Posted 2/12/2013 6:03:37 PM
smelly_boob posted...
I checked at lunch, and all 4 of my cart games (raymen, uncharted, COD, Hot Shots) each had a file size listed.... some were massive (300+mb..) others had only 4000k of space used.... if the game saves to the cart, the file size number reported by the vita should be 0 right?

Updates and patches more likely
---
#8gray_fox_00Posted 2/14/2013 7:31:01 PM
gray_fox_00 posted...
mrekli posted...

Examples:

I can try it with Ninja Gaiden sometime this week, but it looks like you can pull the save from a game card with PS+ if the game card is in the Vita at the time. Those games always showed up with a - where the file size usually is until I had one in while manually uploading a save, then is showed a number. Not sure if it's the save file though.

Maybe I'll just put my PS+ version of NGS+ on my spare memory card and try to download whatever data I uploaded tonight.

Just downloaded NGS+ and synced the cloud save I pulled from the physical cart. Works just fine on the digital copy.
---