adding touch controls to games that dont need it

#11awesomesauce13Posted 2/17/2013 12:25:27 AM
Sixaxis for the PS3 was the same at release. A lot of early PS3 games have terrible sixaxis controls in them. With the Vita I find that it's at least more functional, though still rather annoying. I wish Uncharted didn't have so many touch screen things, the Triangle button is completely unused >.<
#12MobileWarfarePosted 2/17/2013 12:37:59 AM
knives out posted...
i was gonna get get the metal gear hd collection but now im reading it has forced touching as well. are there any shooting games that dont have screen touching?

I have metal gear HD collection, the touch controls aren't bad at all. You hold down on your equipped gun and slide your finger over the weapon you want to equip, or you can just tap the icon to quickly equip/unequip your current weapon. That and using the touch screen to slide over what you want in the cure menu. Touch controls in Metal Gear actually work really well. Those parts I mentioned are the only time you have to use touch controls.
---
PSN: MobilizedWarfare, XL: Skillfreakout
Currently playing: Skyrim(xbox), Black ops 2(xbox), Far cry 3(xbox), Little Big planet(vita), Gravity Rush(vita)
#13KupinPosted 2/17/2013 2:03:41 AM
I prefer touch controls only for inventory system. Like, you touch an icon on the screen to open a menu of inventory or see the items.

Uncharted Golden Abyss is a great game, but also one of the games that utilized touch system badly. Some parts are okay for touch control, but others like navigating on main menu and for certain events, they are unnecessary.
#14MegaSlimePosted 2/17/2013 3:13:09 AM
MetalZoic posted...
MegaSlime posted...
Touch Control QTEs are the worst. Final boss QTE in Uncharted was just awful.

I liked those fights a lot.

It would have been ok if the damn thing is more responsive.
---
"Why is it whenever someone says 'with all due respect' they really mean 'kiss my ass'?"-Ashley, Mass Effect
High School Relationships: 99.9% Failure
#15SosdocPosted 2/17/2013 6:28:06 AM
Uncharted suffers from this, there's a lot of useless swiping on the touchscreen that could have been done with button presses... though, to be honest, it's just a mild annoyance, game plays perfectly fine.

Anyway, in MGS3 it's not too bad, the touchscreen is used for selecting/equipping weapons and items, it works well enough and frees you from needing extra buttons.
My only (minor) gripe with it is the back touch, it's used sparingly, but some things are dumb, like stabbing with the knife when touching the back, it's a pointless and redundant action (you can press square and do the same thing). Also, if you equip both the sonar and the knife a touch on the back activates both at the same time...
#16EmptyTomePosted 2/17/2013 7:35:42 AM(edited)
Every time someone says "forced gimmick", Uncharted Golden Abyss comes to my mind.

Cutting bamboo needs three swipes. Combat needs 2-1. But well, that's not most of the time anyway. But the REAL problem is...cleaning treasures.

Really, cleaning treasures has to be the WORST idea the dev team came up with. I can understand the others, but that was entirely pointless. Not only makes the game less action oriented, but also you obtain nothing from it and hinders any kind of "real" interaction with the story itself.

And I'm not even touching that point in the game when.you have to put a letter in front of a light. That was way, way more useless.

So, a game that could have been better, but dev/sony dragged into a golden abyss because they wanted to show the new features. Good luck next time, Drake
---
"Are you sad?" "yeah" "Wanna scream?"
-Best RPG line ever.
#17xfactorPosted 2/17/2013 7:39:29 AM
MeganTheMooCow posted...
Eh, the same thing happened when the DS launched. A bunch of gimmicky games came out that were all touch based (some of them were fun, but most were just gimmicks). Later, developers started to realize how to use the touch screen to complement traditional gameplay (ie. for menus/minigames) instead of putting an overbearing emphasis on the touch controls.

Its almost as if those developers has all forgotten how to implement touch screen feature into vita games after all these years of working around with the DS games

Fortunately this gimmick problem doesn't exist with the 3DS at all.
---
www.capcom.co.jp/bio6
#18noutBrPosted 2/17/2013 8:01:24 AM
xfactor posted...
MeganTheMooCow posted...
Eh, the same thing happened when the DS launched. A bunch of gimmicky games came out that were all touch based (some of them were fun, but most were just gimmicks). Later, developers started to realize how to use the touch screen to complement traditional gameplay (ie. for menus/minigames) instead of putting an overbearing emphasis on the touch controls.

Its almost as if those developers has all forgotten how to implement touch screen feature into vita games after all these years of working around with the DS games

3DS has 3D as a gimmick but 3D can be turned off on the hardware itself so it has zero impact on the gameplay for anyone who doesn't like it.

I really thought that now after Wii, DS and iPhones developers would have gotten the message that in order to make a good game you need to implement these "unique" features in a way that actually IMPROVES the gameplay.

But with the Vita it's Wii/DS all over again, I'm pretty sure that the game designers had no say in this and that they were forced by the producers.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#19Sami1000Posted 2/17/2013 8:17:13 AM(edited)
GameNext posted...
Disgaea 3 also has annoying touch controls. When I go to any of the menus and wipe the screen before I do anything, the game scrolls all of the options. I disabled the rear touchpad, now I want to disable the touch screen..

Have you tried to enable ps vita buttons for the menu navigation and checked that if you can use it load & save game on disgaea 3?
#20xfactorPosted 2/17/2013 8:14:52 AM
noutBr posted...
xfactor posted...
MeganTheMooCow posted...

3DS has 3D as a gimmick but 3D can be turned off on the hardware itself so it has zero impact on the gameplay for anyone who doesn't like it.

I really thought that now after Wii, DS and iPhones developers would have gotten the message that in order to make a good game you need to implement these "unique" features in a way that actually IMPROVES the gameplay.

But with the Vita it's Wii/DS all over again, I'm pretty sure that the game designers had no say in this and that they were forced by the producers.

After all these years of PSP fans whining about the gimmicks you thought Sony and its developers will have listened.

But no.
---
www.capcom.co.jp/bio6