Looking to play Persona 4 Golden, should I play the prequels first?

#11WiiFan77Posted 2/17/2013 11:20:55 PM(edited)
Play Persona 3 Portable first. It's far better than P4G.

If you prefer not to have downgraded graphics, then P3: FES works too. But it's very lacking in content compared to the P3 and P4 remakes.

Drakillion posted...
If you still have a PS2, I really recommend Nocturne.

And this.
---
Official Ditto of the Pokemon X/Y board.
Official Neko Shogun of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#12The_LimitPosted 2/17/2013 11:24:49 PM
WiiFan77 posted...

lolwut
---
Add me on PSN: TheLimit32 4everrr Playing: FF7 and Dissidia 012
Tifa <3 http://i.imgur.com/kxUP31K.jpg
#13TheExiled280Posted 2/17/2013 11:28:43 PM
The_Limit posted...
WiiFan77 posted...

lolwut

Wow, so you basically abandoned Persona after you started Dissidia 012 & FF7

What ever happen to play ping P4G 4everrr???
---
Currently Playing: PlayStation All-Stars(PSV), Naruto UNSG(PS3), inFAMOUS(PS3), Persona 4 The Golden(PSV), Growlanser WoT(PSP) & Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
#14WiiFan77Posted 2/17/2013 11:49:49 PM(edited)
I'm being serious. I honestly think P3P is overall a better game. To me, P4's story and characters were very lacking compared to P3's, excluding Kanji. The game was also stripped of many, many features that made the original P3 good. For example, being able to split up your party in dungeons. And I hated that there's no way to chat with any of your party members outside of social links.

In P3, if you talked to one of your pals in the dorm, you could have a little conversation with them. There would be a new one for each party member, every few days. But in P4, they're just there to do social links, and then they never have anything else to say to you, aside from story cutscenes. That made the characters seem much flatter.

In P3, there would also be days where party members couldn't come into the dungeon with you. For example, Yukari would go to a friend's house to do homework, or Mitsuru would be too busy. But in P4, every party member is just there at your disposal, as if they have nothing better to do but follow you around whenever you ask them to. Even Yukiko, who, according to the story, often had to leave school early to help with the Inn. And Naoto, who's supposedly a famous detective who has solved dozens to crimes. It's as if joining your party instantly gave them all the free time in the world. Again, this made them feel much flatter.

The writing in P4 seemed incredibly lazy and barebones to me. The mystery was barely more tricky to solve than a Scooby Doo film. The downgraded dungeon gameplay didn't help. All they added to the dungeons in P4 to compensate was improved visuals with more variation in the dungeons, and change the camera angle.

All in all, I couldn't stand how sloppy it was. Seemed like the writers didn't care as much as they did with P3.

In all honesty, I believe that TC will get a better introduction to the series with P3P. It's higher-quality writing, wider range of choices (including choosing the gender of your MC), and larger game overall make it a better starting point, imo.

I don't think Persona 4 is a "bad" game. But I don't think I would have liked Persona nearly as much as I do, if I had started with P4 before P3.
---
#15jim200(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 1:16:23 AM
Ok so I'm just going to play P4G since it's much better than all the others, from the consensus.

I'll pass on Nocturne. I'll just read about it's story before I play P4G
---
Thinking Is Destructive
PSN: Jemi200 ::: 3DS FC: 5129-0276-3428 Name: Jemi
#16The_LimitPosted 2/18/2013 8:07:47 AM(edited)
TheExiled280 posted...
The_Limit posted...
WiiFan77 posted...

lolwut

Wow, so you basically abandoned Persona after you started Dissidia 012 & FF7

What ever happen to play ping P4G 4everrr???

Abandon? lol -___- EXILED, c'mon.friend! How many times do I have to say that the Persona mess wasn't real? It. Was. Boredom. I was playing the game, that's it. I do not like Persona. Again, I've loved Final Fantasy 7 for years, and my sig was Final Fantasy before I changed it for ONE MONTH. Geez...

*Breathes* Ok.. This is getting out of hand now... >_>
---
Add me on PSN: TheLimit32 4everrr Playing: FF7 and Dissidia 012
Tifa <3 http://i.imgur.com/kxUP31K.jpg
#17WiiFan77Posted 2/18/2013 8:27:39 AM
jim200 posted...
I'll pass on Nocturne. I'll just read about it's story before I play P4G

Nocturne's story has absolutely zero connection to P4G.

Ignoring the possible connection through the Amala Network. >_>
---
#18thefinal7Posted 2/19/2013 3:21:51 PM
WiiFan77 posted...
I'm being serious. I honestly think P3P is overall a better game. To me, P4's story and characters were very lacking compared to P3's, excluding Kanji. The game was also stripped of many, many features that made the original P3 good. For example, being able to split up your party in dungeons. And I hated that there's no way to chat with any of your party members outside of social links.

In P3, if you talked to one of your pals in the dorm, you could have a little conversation with them. There would be a new one for each party member, every few days. But in P4, they're just there to do social links, and then they never have anything else to say to you, aside from story cutscenes. That made the characters seem much flatter.

In P3, there would also be days where party members couldn't come into the dungeon with you. For example, Yukari would go to a friend's house to do homework, or Mitsuru would be too busy. But in P4, every party member is just there at your disposal, as if they have nothing better to do but follow you around whenever you ask them to. Even Yukiko, who, according to the story, often had to leave school early to help with the Inn. And Naoto, who's supposedly a famous detective who has solved dozens to crimes. It's as if joining your party instantly gave them all the free time in the world. Again, this made them feel much flatter.

The writing in P4 seemed incredibly lazy and barebones to me. The mystery was barely more tricky to solve than a Scooby Doo film. The downgraded dungeon gameplay didn't help. All they added to the dungeons in P4 to compensate was improved visuals with more variation in the dungeons, and change the camera angle.

All in all, I couldn't stand how sloppy it was. Seemed like the writers didn't care as much as they did with P3.

In all honesty, I believe that TC will get a better introduction to the series with P3P. It's higher-quality writing, wider range of choices (including choosing the gender of your MC), and larger game overall make it a better starting point, imo.

I don't think Persona 4 is a "bad" game. But I don't think I would have liked Persona nearly as much as I do, if I had started with P4 before P3.

That's funny, because I started with P4 and went into P3 not liking it as much. I felt that the story was obviously better in P3, but I felt nothing for most of the characters (except Junpei). I HATED the gameplay in P3, it was a giant step forward with what they did in P4 and then when they created P3P, something all RPGs should have and that's being able to control all of your party members. I also hated the dungeon layout in P3, Tartarus was a chore to traverse.

P4 had far better characters in my opinion because I actually felt like I was apart of the group while trying to uncover the mystery. While I eventually went back to P3 and enjoyed the game, I just couldn't find it in me to like it more than P4.
---
Not changing this sig until Sega releases Skies of Arcadia HD. Started 10/8/12
#19ChemicalBurritoPosted 2/19/2013 3:31:33 PM
TheExiled280 posted...
Play Persona 4 Golden. If you like that, look into Persona 3 FES(PS2 Classic available on PS3) and avoid Persona 3 Portable.

Sorry, but if someone actually likes how P4G plays, they should play P3P next and avoid FES. While the presentation of things outside the dungeon in FES is more similar to P4G, the actual gameplay - both for battling and for persona creation - is much better in P3P than in FES.
---
My game collection: http://chemicalburrito.com
Now: Ni no Kuni (PS3), P4G (PSV), Star Ocean 2E (PSP)
#20MegaSlimePosted 2/19/2013 3:45:51 PM
I liked the tone and characters better in P3. P4 has the better gameplay.
---
"Why is it whenever someone says 'with all due respect' they really mean 'kiss my ass'?"-Ashley, Mass Effect
High School Relationships: 99.9% Failure