Looking to play Persona 4 Golden, should I play the prequels first?

#21WiiFan77Posted 2/19/2013 3:50:30 PM(edited)
thefinal7 posted...
That's funny, because I started with P4 and went into P3 not liking it as much. I felt that the story was obviously better in P3, but I felt nothing for most of the characters (except Junpei). I HATED the gameplay in P3, it was a giant step forward with what they did in P4 and then when they created P3P, something all RPGs should have and that's being able to control all of your party members. I also hated the dungeon layout in P3, Tartarus was a chore to traverse.

P4 had far better characters in my opinion because I actually felt like I was apart of the group while trying to uncover the mystery. While I eventually went back to P3 and enjoyed the game, I just couldn't find it in me to like it more than P4.

I was never really able to connect with any characters in P4, other than Kanji or Yukiko. To me, Chie was just... plain over the top. Yosuke was... a pretty typical idiot. Teddie wasn't supposed to be relatable since he's a bear. And Rise annoyed me to the point that I often skipped through her dialogue. I did think Naoto was actually a cool character though, but she didn't have enough screen time for me connect to her, sadly.

Especially since, like I said above, the characters in P4 never have anything to say to you outside their social links / cutscenes. Whereas, in P3, you can actually have a friendly chat with your friends regularly, instead of ignoring them every single day unless you wanna do their link. I like to actually speak to my friends at school more than 10 times in the span of a year.

It was made even worse for me, with Nanako and Dojima. I liked those characters a lot. But when you come home in the evening, you can't even speak to them, unless they can do an S.Link that day. Heck, I bet you end up checking the fridge 3x more often than you speak to Nanako or Dojima. It's just "Welcome back, Big Bro", every day, then you check the fridge and go to your room.

In P3, each character in the dorm could talk about how her day was, or ask you a question, or talk about the news on TV, or any number of other things. You could spend a good 5-10 minutes having brief chats before heading to your room. And to add to the examples of P4's laziness: When you did midterms in P4, Yosuke's conversation about it would just be a copy-paste of the last midterm. Talk about making a character seem static and un-alive.

Finally, P4 doesn't even give you many hints about the relationships of the party members. In P3, you can tell that Yukari and Aigis become friends, Junpei's opinion of Ken and Akihiko, and who takes Koromaru on walks, etc. But P4 just leaves most of it ambiguous, because you get such little interaction with your party members compared to P3. How does Naoto get along with Rise? What about Chie and Kanji? Chie and Naoto? Teddie and Naoto? The game only gives some obvious ones like Kanji-Naoto and Chie-Yukiko, then has a few S.Link scenes imply things like Rise finding Kanji creepy.

I was left with several questions that never got answers, and the characters only felt slightly less static than a typical JRPG. I know they're deeper than that, but that depth was hidden by the barebones writing.

I agree about the gameplay though. That's why I recommended playing P3P first, instead of recommending P3: FES.
---
Official Ditto of the Pokemon X/Y board.
Official Neko Shogun of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#22Safros93Posted 2/19/2013 4:56:16 PM
jim200 posted...
Ok so I'm just going to play P4G since it's much better than all the others, from the consensus.

I'll pass on Nocturne. I'll just read about it's story before I play P4G

I wouldn't say it's much better than all the others. In terms of gameplay, I suppose technically it is the best... but It think in terms of characters, story, writing, and setting, it's a huge step back in comparison to P3 and P2.

P4 is just too.... tame in comparison. Characters are not very realistic either (interaction and so many parts of the game felt forced because of them), although there are those, mostly Kanji though, who do stand out. My main gripe was that at the end of the game I couldn't bring myself to care about the characters, they just felt like random anime characters.
But this is all just preference, so maybe you'll disagree with me... or maybe you might end up agreeing with me... who knows, just play P3 if you can. (P3FES, not the stripped down PSP version.)
#23Sami1000Posted 2/19/2013 6:07:47 PM
MegaSlime posted...
I liked the tone and characters better in P3. P4 has the better gameplay.

Me too. I really preferred P3 story, characters and atmosphere. P4 gameplay wise is better but to be honest i didn't get any satisfaction from leveling or grinding in either P3 or P4.
#24thefinal7Posted 2/19/2013 6:18:40 PM
WiiFan77 posted...
I was never really able to connect with any characters in P4, other than Kanji or Yukiko. To me, Chie was just... plain over the top. Yosuke was... a pretty typical idiot. Teddie wasn't supposed to be relatable since he's a bear. And Rise annoyed me to the point that I often skipped through her dialogue. I did think Naoto was actually a cool character though, but she didn't have enough screen time for me connect to her, sadly.

Especially since, like I said above, the characters in P4 never have anything to say to you outside their social links / cutscenes. Whereas, in P3, you can actually have a friendly chat with your friends regularly, instead of ignoring them every single day unless you wanna do their link. I like to actually speak to my friends at school more than 10 times in the span of a year.

It was made even worse for me, with Nanako and Dojima. I liked those characters a lot. But when you come home in the evening, you can't even speak to them, unless they can do an S.Link that day. Heck, I bet you end up checking the fridge 3x more often than you speak to Nanako or Dojima. It's just "Welcome back, Big Bro", every day, then you check the fridge and go to your room.

In P3, each character in the dorm could talk about how her day was, or ask you a question, or talk about the news on TV, or any number of other things. You could spend a good 5-10 minutes having brief chats before heading to your room. And to add to the examples of P4's laziness: When you did midterms in P4, Yosuke's conversation about it would just be a copy-paste of the last midterm. Talk about making a character seem static and un-alive.

Finally, P4 doesn't even give you many hints about the relationships of the party members. In P3, you can tell that Yukari and Aigis become friends, Junpei's opinion of Ken and Akihiko, and who takes Koromaru on walks, etc. But P4 just leaves most of it ambiguous, because you get such little interaction with your party members compared to P3. How does Naoto get along with Rise? What about Chie and Kanji? Chie and Naoto? Teddie and Naoto? The game only gives some obvious ones like Kanji-Naoto and Chie-Yukiko, then has a few S.Link scenes imply things like Rise finding Kanji creepy.

I was left with several questions that never got answers, and the characters only felt slightly less static than a typical JRPG. I know they're deeper than that, but that depth was hidden by the barebones writing.

I agree about the gameplay though. That's why I recommended playing P3P first, instead of recommending P3: FES.

I liked Teddie at first, but after a certain event in the game, I couldn't stand his character anymore. I hated Chie as well and I really felt that Naoto was just... there. Rise, Yukiko, Kanji and Yosuke were my favorite characters. I suppose the part I loved the most about P4 was that all of the dialogue and interaction between the MC and the characters was in the social links. Most of the time in P3 I just wanted to get the rest of the day over with and didn't care about what the characters did after school. THOUGH, I did love the videos that you could watch regarding the different characters, they were pretty funny at times.

True, there are some things they didn't explain in the game, and then they wait until the anime come out for them to fill in the gaps.

Oh, and I lied (I just remembered), I liked Junpei and Akihiko from P3.
---
Not changing this sig until Sega releases Skies of Arcadia HD. Started 10/8/12