Sony admits Vita is "a little behind the numbers we originally pictured"

#1squatch22Posted 2/20/2013 10:47:37 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-20-sony-admits-vita-is-a-little-behind-the-numbers-we-originally-pictured

Sony's put a brave face on regarding Vita's performance since launch. The handheld hasn't taken off and Sony can't be happy with it, but Sony's never going to admit that - or is it?

A little honesty seems to have slipped through the cracks in Japan, where SCEJ president Hiroshi Kawano admitted to Famitsu magazine (reported by Polygon) that, "Certainly, at the present time, maybe we're a little behind the numbers we originally pictured.

"I feel we have a ways to go in terms of getting across the good traits of the PS Vita," he continued, "along with everything the software has to offer. Also, I want to keep pushing for more games that people want to play, since like our research showed, that's one thing blocking customers curious about the Vita from making a purchase.

"There are about 100 titles released [in Japan] in a year's time, and I want to get across that we've got a lot of really good games. Like with our other platforms, we're developing the Vita system with the idea that it'll have a lifecycle of 10 years and change, so I think we need to do everything we can to flesh out the service going forward."

That research he mentioned highlighted two hurdles Japanese people stumble at when considering a PlayStation Vita: price and games.

Sony lowered that price-hurdle two days ago, slicing both the Wi-Fi and 3G Vita to 20,000 yen (roughly 140). It's still around 1000 yen more expensive than 3DS, but the difference is now negligible. (No comparative price-cut has been announced for Europe.)

The question of games is harder to answer. The Sony studios that tried to give Vita a running start are now all presumably working on giving PS4 a running start. Meanwhile, third-party publishers are probably sitting on their hands waiting for the Vita market to prove itself worthwhile. They're also, I expect, more concerned with the impending arrival of PS4 and the next Xbox.
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#2SagadegoPosted 2/20/2013 10:50:15 AM
hopefully this thing will start to take off better, so more games will be made.
---
Why did Nintendo rip off digimon? demondog666
Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#3SalsaSavantPosted 2/20/2013 10:50:48 AM
A LITTLE behind?
That's a pretty big little.
---
Not changing this until something impossible happens
Started 12/02/12
#4BahamutBBobPosted 2/20/2013 10:51:38 AM
If the Slim rumor ends up being true, I almost want to buy one just to give them another Vita sale. I love the hardware and want more good software for it.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#5HugsAllAroundPosted 2/20/2013 10:51:44 AM
I'd say more than "a little".
#6Ambassador_KongPosted 2/20/2013 10:53:31 AM
No wonder Sony isn't doing well, they think they have a "little" problem while the rest of the world perceived it as "a planet killing asteroid of a problem."
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. by Mahatma Gandhi.
#7ChemicalBurritoPosted 2/20/2013 10:53:40 AM
SalsaSavant posted...
A LITTLE behind?

No, this is Sony. It's LittleBigBehind ...
---
My game collection: http://chemicalburrito.com
Now: Ni no Kuni (PS3), P4G (PSV), Star Ocean 2E (PSP)
#8stargazer64Posted 2/20/2013 10:54:52 AM
I am only a little ways away from being a millionaire, and a small distance from the moon.
---
This is superfrog HD! it's in HD dammit! - mike_411
#9supremeblasterPosted 2/20/2013 1:06:08 PM
SalsaSavant posted...
A LITTLE behind?

Maybe they had low expectations to begin with?
#10ORANGE666Posted 2/20/2013 1:55:52 PM
It's funny how hypocritical you are squatch. If someone made this topic on the wiiu board, you would cry and flame them for posting a negative article.
---
Posted using GameFlux Android App
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrelte.gameflux