When will PSP officially die in Japan? Seems to still be going strong

#1Devilman_AmonPosted 2/24/2013 6:49:05 PM
As huge and dominant as the NDS was, it's all but dead now so quickly once the 3DS broke onto the scene after it's price cut and a few key games came out.

But it seems Sony and 3rd party developers are cannibalizing the Vita with the PSP still since none of these developers are even trying to make games for it and Sony in Japan is still heavily supporting the PSP.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#2TheExiled280Posted 2/24/2013 6:50:39 PM(edited)
when PSP games stop selling

sadly this happened prematurely in NA & EU. I blame piracy

/Topic
---
PSN:
#3Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 6:52:58 PM
TheExiled280 posted...

/Topic

You cant blame piracy in Japan though. They are buying the hard copies.
And its not like the DS wasn't heavily pirated. It still made out
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#4A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/24/2013 7:06:33 PM(edited)
The PS2 still outsells the 360 in Japan. They like their old consoles.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#5TheExiled280Posted 2/24/2013 6:57:12 PM(edited)
From: Devilman_Amon | Posted: 2/24/2013 9:52:58 PM | #003
TheExiled280 posted...

/Topic

no, I blame piracy for it dying in NA & EU. The Japanese buy their games

also DS was more of a pain to hack and it also appeals to a younger audience. i doubt the average parent was hacking their childerns DS's so they didn't have to pay for games. probably didn't even know the system was hacked.
---
Soul Sacrifice TGS 2012 Trailer:
http://youtu.be/hIoGoG-7L-c
#6Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 6:56:47 PM
TheExiled280 posted...
TheExiled280 posted...

/Topic

But I'm not talking about NA/EU market. I'm talking about the Japanese market. Most handheld titles are Japanese made.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#7Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 6:57:32 PM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
The PS2 still outsells the 360 in Japan. They like they're old consoles.

The 360 never had a market in Japan...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#8TheExiled280Posted 2/24/2013 6:59:12 PM
From: Devilman_Amon | Posted: 2/24/2013 9:56:47 PM | #006
TheExiled280 posted...
TheExiled280 posted...

/Topic

But I'm not talking about NA/EU market. I'm talking about the Japanese market. Most handheld titles are Japanese made.

ok read my post. I said in a nutshell

games still sell in Japan, that is why PSP is still alive there. PSP games do not sell in NA & EU and that is why it died in those regions prematurely
---
PSN: TheExiled12894 // A Proud Owner of a PlayStation Vita & PS3
#9Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 7:21:19 PM
TheExiled280 posted...

games still sell in Japan, that is why PSP is still alive there. PSP games do not sell in NA & EU and that is why it died in those regions prematurely

Games would still sell for the NDS if developers made them since the NDS has a huge install base.

However, game sales never died in Japan or the U.S. for NDS; they just actively transitioned over to the 3DS due to support from Nintendo and developers making games people actually wanted on the 3DS. All while Nintendo quickly phased out the NDS in terms of support. (and by support I mean marketing and promotions).

Games sell in Japan for the PSP because developers are still making games for them and because Sony still supports it.

If developers made games for the Vita that people wanted then the Vita would sell more and thus the games would sell. It's a two way street.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#10xenos74Posted 2/24/2013 7:35:41 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
TheExiled280 posted...

Games would still sell for the NDS if developers made them since the NDS has a huge install base.

However, game sales never died in Japan or the U.S. for NDS; they just actively transitioned over to the 3DS due to support from Nintendo and developers making games people actually wanted on the 3DS. All while Nintendo quickly phased out the NDS in terms of support. (and by support I mean marketing and promotions).

Games sell in Japan for the PSP because developers are still making games for them and because Sony still supports it.

If developers made games for the Vita that people wanted then the Vita would sell more and thus the games would sell. It's a two way street.

The transition from NDS to 3ds is just much simpler/smoother. 3ds can play all NDS games, while vita cannot play all PSP games.

I'm glad Sony got rid of umd but is still a rough transition from PSP to vita unless most of your purchases were already digital. If/when we see Sony release a new handheld years from now, I'd hope they don't make the same mistake.

There's obviously more factors such as costs...but I'm sure someone else can bring up more info about it