When will PSP officially die in Japan? Seems to still be going strong

#11Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 9:08:17 PM
xenos74 posted...

The transition from NDS to 3ds is just much simpler/smoother. 3ds can play all NDS games, while vita cannot play all PSP games.

I'm glad Sony got rid of umd but is still a rough transition from PSP to vita unless most of your purchases were already digital. If/when we see Sony release a new handheld years from now, I'd hope they don't make the same mistake.

There's obviously more factors such as costs...but I'm sure someone else can bring up more info about it

Hmm. good points. Add to that I guess the high cost of the Vita memory card and the fact that there are still some high end PSP games that are not available on PSN...(KH BBS, FF CC, etc) and even some PS1 titles that can't play.
Sony kinda dropped the ball on that as well as some 3rd party developers just being stupid...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#12DeviousLightPosted 2/24/2013 9:08:23 PM
The 3ds is HUGE in Japan right now
---
Gamefaqs. Where Frequently Asked Questions are forbidden.
#13NerdstickPosted 2/24/2013 9:21:28 PM
TheExiled280 posted...
From: Devilman_Amon | Posted: 2/24/2013 9:52:58 PM | #003
TheExiled280 posted...
when PSP games stop selling

sadly this happened prematurely in NA & EU. I blame piracy

/Topic

You cant blame piracy in Japan though. They are buying the hard copies.
And its not like the DS wasn't heavily pirated. It still made out

no, I blame piracy for it dying in NA & EU. The Japanese buy their games

also DS was more of a pain to hack and it also appeals to a younger audience. i doubt the average parent was hacking their childerns DS's so they didn't have to pay for games. probably didn't even know the system was hacked.

wat? The PSP was far more difficult to hack. Pandora battery, magic memory stick, custom firmwares, firmware file acquisition, the possibility of bricking your PSP..
The DS was 'buy a fashcart, pop it in'.
#14xfactorPosted 2/24/2013 11:39:12 PM
xenos74 posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
TheExiled280 posted...

ok read my post. I said in a nutshell

games still sell in Japan, that is why PSP is still alive there. PSP games do not sell in NA & EU and that is why it died in those regions prematurely

Games would still sell for the NDS if developers made them since the NDS has a huge install base.

However, game sales never died in Japan or the U.S. for NDS; they just actively transitioned over to the 3DS due to support from Nintendo and developers making games people actually wanted on the 3DS. All while Nintendo quickly phased out the NDS in terms of support. (and by support I mean marketing and promotions).

Games sell in Japan for the PSP because developers are still making games for them and because Sony still supports it.

If developers made games for the Vita that people wanted then the Vita would sell more and thus the games would sell. It's a two way street.

The transition from NDS to 3ds is just much simpler/smoother. 3ds can play all NDS games, while vita cannot play all PSP games.

I'm glad Sony got rid of umd but is still a rough transition from PSP to vita unless most of your purchases were already digital. If/when we see Sony release a new handheld years from now, I'd hope they don't make the same mistake.

There's obviously more factors such as costs...but I'm sure someone else can bring up more info about it

The UMD format is a flop, but that doesn't negate the need to have BC for the vita in the initial stage. They should have only phrase the UMD out in a 2nd or 3rd revision. They removed umd and add in a touch pad, which cause more harm than good as it is totally useless.
---
www.capcom.co.jp/bio6
#15trancejeremyPosted 2/25/2013 3:23:19 AM
The UMD format is not a flop. It worked just fine, it's just a few games had bad loading times and people whined about it constantly so it got a bad rap. Never mind that many PS2 games had bad loading times, and many 360 games are really awful about loading.

Try playing Test Drive Unlimited from UMD. 8 seconds loading and you can free roam Oahu

And once memory cards got bigger, games could install from UMD.

Indeed, UMD is why the PSP is going so strong in Japan - it allows niche games to be profitable, because optical media is so much cheaper to make than cartridges. Pennies compared to dollars.
#16Evil_GogetaPosted 2/25/2013 4:52:57 AM
Most kids here in Japan still have a PSP and parents have no real reason to buy them a Vita if the kids don't want the games (mainly in for it for the Vita itself).

I think the PSP will not die out but be exactly like the PS2 (be there in the background for years then go out of print).
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (WiiU) MH3GHD, (PS3) Awaiting games, (Vita) PSO2