Retro City Rampage sold "far" more on PSN than XBLA, more on Vita than PS3.

#61kcypher2000Posted 3/1/2013 2:06:02 PM
Nnamz posted...
kcypher2000 posted...
Nnamz posted...
StrikeNinja24 posted...
And now he's stuck to a potentially burning bridge when he could of kept his damn mouth shut and just went along as planned. Some people shouldn't be allowed to touch anything twitter, facebook, or anything else that can send a message to many people instantaneously.

I wouldn't have said what he said, but he has a point. If he sees no viability developing for Microsoft, why should he hold his tongue?

Moreover, THEY need him. Valve was outspoken against Sony and the PS3, and no bridges were burned there, especially when Gabe got up on stage at a Sony conference and joked about it. Platform holders can't hold animosity towards devs if they want a steady stream of games coming, and they never do.

If more people call out Microsoft, they'll change. Again, I wouldn't have done it, but they're not losing much aside from the unlikely scenario that they can't develop for a system which they lose money on anyway.

Damn MS and all these xbox arcade and summer of arcade and the whole indy channel!! Instead i care about some clown who made a mediocre game and is surprised it sold more on the system it came out on first.

On second thought i just checked the indy channel and saw a butt load of games, good job MS!!

Awesome. Meanwhile a bunch of indie devs are starting to recognize that the costs of publishing titles on XBLA combined with the hoops they make you jump through make them second guess.

Honestly, you're coming off as a massive fanboy. Control yourself. A guy who has made games for XBLA and lost money doing it has a problem with it. Poisoning the well by calling his game crap or damage controlling by saying there are other indie titles on 360 (nobody is claiming otherwise and that has nothing to do with anything) makes you seem really fanboyish.

One dev doesnt speak for everyone genius. Count the amount of indy devs still releasing games on 360 then compare to psn. There is your answer fanboy. Number speak more than one guys opinion.

Oh and about monster hunter, learn to google, it easnt just because wii sold more but also easier to develop for.
#62Nnamz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 2:18:04 PM
StrikeNinja24 posted...
You're giving too much credit to how business works. When it comes down to it, profitability is number one to the people who are making the decisions. While it'd be great if Microsoft would stop having awful practices, lack of new first party IPs, cutting corners, and relying on casuals and their pretrials like the Kinect to sell their product, I don't see it happening, as it's profitable. The only way this changes if Microsoft takes a major hit like Sony did, who had terrible indie practices years ago. In fact, the situation was switched. Now that MS has a sizable indie collection, they are going to try and milk it for all its worth. Sony will probably go back to that route after a while.

I fail to see how this has anything to do with what I was talking about.

Moreover, what you just said makes no sense and does not reflect the last generation. Microsoft has had it's rules in place since the Xbox has come out. If anything, they've become MORE flexible towards indies (while still sucking in that regard). Sony has been the flexible platform to develop for since launch. Everyday Shooter, for example, would not have been possible for Jonathan Mak (Mac?) to publish on XBLA. Sony was good to indies since BEFORE they took the "major hit".

I've got no faith that either company has the best intentions for indie developers whatsoever at this point.

They don't. They have every intention on making themselves more attractive to indie developers in the future. They're businesses, not charities. Microsoft's issue is that their rigidity and pricing structure makes it so that many developers cannot make money on XLBA any more.
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 4527 - 7250 - 9769 <-- Inbox me your FC.
#63PolarbaggiPosted 3/1/2013 2:22:14 PM
TheExiled280 posted...
Nintendo better than Micro$oft for indie games? Could have sworn I heard Nintendo called indie something along the lines of trash. That was a couple years ago though

You know the best indie game nintendo ever sold on the dsi shop was cave story!
AWESOME GAME! (I also wonder if I beat a world record for caves story hellzone run for dsi xl,my time is 3min 24 secs)
---
3DS sells more then Vita, McDonald's sells more then Subway. I don't want inferior hardware just like I don't want type 2 Diabetes!~BoardUser-Heavysack
#64Nnamz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 2:23:39 PM
kcypher2000 posted...

One dev doesnt speak for everyone genius.

More than 1 dev was named in this topic genius. And even more have commented on this issue. If you aren't a larger company it's very hard to develop for XLBA, which is why PSN is seeing a surge of smaller indies flocking to them recently.

Count the amount of indy devs still releasing games on 360 then compare to psn.

You keep trying to argue this point when nobody is claiming otherwise. Games are coming out for 360. The problem is many indie devs are realizing it's cheaper and more profitable to release games on PSN. It's also less rigid of a platform.

Now take a deep breath and try to wrap your brain around the fact that nobody is saying 360 indie development is dying out yet. Grab a glass of water or take a walk if you need to.

Oh and about monster hunter, learn to google, it easnt just because wii sold more but also easier to develop for.

Indeed, and that still has absolutely no bearing on this conversation since it is not an indie title and Sony's attitude and frameworks towards indie devs have nothing to do with MH going to Wii.

You're really not good at this.....
---
#65StrikeNinja24Posted 3/1/2013 3:22:07 PM
Nnamz posted...
StrikeNinja24 posted...
You're giving too much credit to how business works. When it comes down to it, profitability is number one to the people who are making the decisions. While it'd be great if Microsoft would stop having awful practices, lack of new first party IPs, cutting corners, and relying on casuals and their pretrials like the Kinect to sell their product, I don't see it happening, as it's profitable. The only way this changes if Microsoft takes a major hit like Sony did, who had terrible indie practices years ago. In fact, the situation was switched. Now that MS has a sizable indie collection, they are going to try and milk it for all its worth. Sony will probably go back to that route after a while.

I fail to see how this has anything to do with what I was talking about.

Moreover, what you just said makes no sense and does not reflect the last generation. Microsoft has had it's rules in place since the Xbox has come out. If anything, they've become MORE flexible towards indies (while still sucking in that regard). Sony has been the flexible platform to develop for since launch. Everyday Shooter, for example, would not have been possible for Jonathan Mak (Mac?) to publish on XBLA. Sony was good to indies since BEFORE they took the "major hit".

I've got no faith that either company has the best intentions for indie developers whatsoever at this point.

They don't. They have every intention on making themselves more attractive to indie developers in the future. They're businesses, not charities. Microsoft's issue is that their rigidity and pricing structure makes it so that many developers cannot make money on XLBA any more.

I remember differently.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sony-Makes-It-Hard-For-Indie-Devs-To-Prosper-On-PS3-16953.html

It also used to be incredibly costly for the Indie developers in the beginning of the development of the PS3.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.102018-Sony-Cuts-Price-of-PS3-Dev-Kit-by-80-Percent

While they are businesses designed to make money, there's multiple ways to do so. It's not as black and white as people think it is, including those in the higher offices.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin
#66Nnamz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 10:08:52 AM
Did you even read the link and what was said?

http://www.examiner.com/article/syberia-3-for-ps3-could-be-april-fool-s-joke

It's talking about PS3 costs relative to PC costs, not relative to 360 costs. I'm wasn't claiming PS3 was cheaper to put indie games up than PC. It wasn't, and despite the praise it's getting now it STILL isn't. But it's always been more approachable to indies than 360.

And yes, Sony has gotten MORE approachable (by cutten dev kit costs, among other things such as restructuring).
---