Sell me on Blazblue

#1WiiFan77Posted 3/5/2013 4:26:52 PM
I don't normally like action games. I prefer thinking games. But when I played a fighting game for the first time a few months ago (Persona 4 Arena), I found that the genre added a nice blend of both. I have heard that the Blazblue series is made by the same company that produced P4A, so I've become interested in the Vita Blazblue game, which will be on sale later today. However, I know absolutely nothing about it.

Is there much difference in the formula from P4A (aside from lacking Personas, obviously)? It the game easier or harder? How is the story? The characters? How much content is in the game? For someone who has only played one fighting game before (by rent, for 5 days), would the game be easy to get into? How does this compare to other fighting games? Is this different from the 3DS version? Etc.

Thanks.
---
Official Ditto of the Pokemon X/Y board.
Official Neko Shogun of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#2LitCandlezPosted 3/5/2013 4:28:25 PM(edited)
inb4 TheExilled280
--
GAMEFAQS- Where posting a different opinion is trolling, and moderators are always right! We all love this website!
I have a vita. PSN-LitCandles
#3co1onelPosted 3/5/2013 4:29:05 PM
Its a pretty bad game, I'd avoid it if I were you.
---
PSN: Co1onel-225
#4GhetsisPosted 3/5/2013 4:31:02 PM
It's one of those games that becomes outdated in a year. So if you don't mind having an obsolete version, go for it.

It does excel in all of the areas you mentioned, though.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#5marioparty17Posted 3/5/2013 4:34:13 PM
co1onel posted...
Its a pretty bad game, I'd avoid it if I were you.

---
3DS FC 2535-3692-1887 PSN : MARIOPARTY17
He covered from head to toe in weaponary, like a rainbow apocalypses - Viridi Goddess of Nature from KI:U
#6Golden_MeanPosted 3/5/2013 4:45:11 PM(edited)
I have not played the newest persona fighting game before but I've played guilty gear religiously before I went to BB. Between GG and BB, Arksys has done well to give each game their own flavor and different nuances but still share a very similar comboing feel, with BB being a bit slower but more fluid. I'd imagine you would acclimate yourself well with the feel of BB rather quickly if you're used to the persona game.

Coming from GG, I was pleased with the amount of single player player content there was on CS. I skipped CS2 and in hindsight I'm glad I did because they ended up making CSE. Like someone said, the downside is that Arksys is NOTORIOUS for the "expansions-but-not-quite-next-iteration" method almost analogous to Capcom's love for negligible DLC for their fighters. In fact, they are doing it with the next GG, and funny part is I'm still going to buy it.

If you've only ever played ONE fighting game for 5 days (lol) then you will get your ass handed to you online. Luckily, the abundance of single player content will keep you busy for a good while, moreso than any other Vita fighter available. Overall a solid game that is an absolute steal at that sale price.

I expect BB x GG sometime around 2020 ._.
---
LoL: Rontuaru - "Grasp Destiny. Forfeit Humanity." - Rah Xephon
#7TheExiled280Posted 3/5/2013 5:04:02 PM(edited)
WiiFan77 posted...
I don't normally like action games. I prefer thinking games. But when I played a fighting game for the first time a few months ago (Persona 4 Arena), I found that the genre added a nice blend of both. I have heard that the Blazblue series is made by the same company that produced P4A, so I've become interested in the Vita Blazblue game, which will be on sale later today. However, I know absolutely nothing about it.

Is there much difference in the formula from P4A (aside from lacking Personas, obviously)? It the game easier or harder? How is the story? The characters? How much content is in the game? For someone who has only played one fighting game before (by rent, for 5 days), would the game be easy to get into? How does this compare to other fighting games? Is this different from the 3DS version? Etc.

Thanks.

IMO, P4A is kind of a simplified version of BlazBlue. In P4A, the game will do a basic combo for you and you can use that as foundation for other combos and setups. In BlazBlue you have to do everything manually unless you play on Stylish mode (I'll touch on that later). The Vita D-Pad is amazing so it will make performing most strings pretty easy.

I'd say the game can be harder than because there are more characters and lots of variety among them (I still have no idea how to fight a high level Arakune in most situations....). Like most fighters, the game has several difficult levels that can be adjusted. I started playing on Easy when I got the game and now I play on Hard.

As I already said, the game has 19 Characters. Each character has an Unlimted form which is basically just an intentional broken version of the character. Unlimted characters are mostly used in story mode as bosses but they can be unlocked. You are restricted from using them in most modes though.

These are the game modes:

Tutorial (Teaches everything from basic game mechanics to indiviual character strategies)
Arcade
Versus (Player VS AI)
Score Attack (It's like Arcade mode expect the AI on is on the hardest difficulty)
Unlimited Mars (Same as above expect every character is in their Unlimited Form...)
Training
Challenge (Typcial Challenge mode for combos.)
Abyss (An interesting take on Survival Mode)
Story (19 Story Scenario, most of which have 3 endings. The nice thing is that it has a Scenario that goes over the important things in Clamity Trigger which is the first game in the series.)
Galley (This is where you can spend in game points to unlock unlimited characters and tons of artwork.)
Replay Theater (Watch replays from online fights)
Network (Infrastructure Online)
Network(Ad-Hoc Online)
PS Store (The game has overpriced DLC announcer voices. Just ignore them)
Option

The reason why I push this game so much is because I think it's what a portable fighting game should be. It doesn't just throw 2-3 modes at you and expect to play it online 99% of time like its a console fighting game.

It's pretty much the perfect game to enter the series with (the console version included). If you were to wait for Chrono Phantasma, chances are you'd be lost on what was going on in the story and I feel like that would hinder the total experience of the game.
---
Currently Playing: PlayStation All-Stars(PSV), Naruto UNSG(PS3), inFAMOUS(PS3), Persona 4 The Golden(PSV), Growlanser WoT(PSP) & Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
#8Safros93Posted 3/5/2013 4:53:03 PM
P4A is easier to play than BB, mostly because Arc Sys expected that people who had no fighting game experience would buy it.

Story is good in BB, although it takes a while to get going and you have to play multiple stories to really start enjoying it and getting the hang of it. There are some pretty funny endings though. Unfortunately, I found that Calamity Trigger Reconstruction (Shortened version of the previous game's story) is rather lacking and isn't that good.

I don't like most of the characters in P4, so I'd say that the characters in this are much more likable. Characters are also more diverse than in P4A in terms of gameplay.

Quite a lot of content, when compared to Capcom games.

BlazBlue isn't that hard of a game to pick up depending on the character that you're using, but it has an insane amount of depth... so... I don't know. I guess it's a good enough starting point.

It's faster than a lot of fighting games, and I'd say that it's the best fighting game available on the current gen market, but it isn't in any way the hardest fighting game available.

The 3DS version, from what I've seen, is pretty crappy. This is a huge improvement over it in every possible way.

Here's some casual gameplay in case that you're interested in watching some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijW7hMlPbE0
#9TheExiled280Posted 3/5/2013 5:02:00 PM(edited)
A few things I forgot to mention were:

A.) the game is identical to the console version.
B.) the story does have some anime sterotypes. If you liked P4A, I don't think it will bother you though
C.) the online isn't as active as say UMvC3. the Single Player content more than makes up for that IMO
D.) the 3DS version isn't nearly as appealing graphical and is missing a character (Relius) and 4 story scenarios. I don't even think it has Infustructure online
---
Currently Playing: PlayStation All-Stars(PSV), Naruto UNSG(PS3), inFAMOUS(PS3), Persona 4 The Golden(PSV), Growlanser WoT(PSP) & Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
#10PringerXPosted 3/5/2013 4:58:41 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4297189892_cdf9bb372f_o.jpg
---
http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/GameOverComesAll
http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/GameOverComesAll