Surely PSV hardware sales in Japan should be a sign to developers

#11Lord_VishanaPosted 3/13/2013 8:33:10 PM
While the increase in sales is really nice, it needs to sell like this consistently. If it maintains this momentum for a while(especially if there is a week without any release) then hopefully it'll be more appealing to developers. Let's keep our fingers crossed. :-)
---
Soft Kitty Warm Kitty Little Ball Of Fur. Happy Kitty Sleepy Kitty Purr Purr Purr. 3DS FC: 3394-3716-0128 Vita PSN: Queen_Sialeeds
#12ThugETHPosted 3/14/2013 2:48:28 AM
It will only spread now as the 100k will show off the game to other non Vita owners who in turn will want it and buy it.
---
[1:04pm] <R33P3R> how can a game be epic on a phone?
#13OtakuGameraPosted 3/14/2013 3:05:57 AM
KaneBlueriver posted...
Hopefully. I'm still waiting Banpresto to announce something for the Vita. >_>

if it has nothing to do with og no thank you, og is the only one with the remote chance of making it here (also my fav mecha game
)
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#14ylvisPosted 3/14/2013 6:41:18 AM
120k isn't suddenly going to swing developers over to the Vita. The 3DS sells 120k in two weeks on average all the time, mostly even more.
#15GloryChaosPosted 3/14/2013 6:46:11 AM(edited)
The idea that good developers will simply gravitate to a console that sells a lot is a big delusion on gamefaqs. Especially when history shows otherwise. The only game makers that swarm top selling consoles are the ones who rush out shovelware and movie games.

The Vita isn't doing well in America or Europe. Yet it has a higher number of developers on board than the 3ds, which is performing well. Mist walker decided to make Lost Odyssey and Xbox exclusive. This was in Japan, where the Xbox sells like garbage.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#16shampoowarriorPosted 3/14/2013 6:50:52 AM
GloryChaos posted...
The idea that good developers will simply gravitate to a console that sells a lot is a big delusion on gamefaqs. Especially when history shows otherwise. The only game makers that swarm top selling consoles are the ones who rush out shovelware and movie games.

The Vita isn't doing well in America or Europe. Yet it has a higher number of developers on board than the 3ds, which is performing well. Mist walker decided to make Lost Odyssey and Xbox exclusive. This was in Japan, where the Xbox sells like garbage.

I bet you believe this too.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#17GloryChaosPosted 3/14/2013 6:53:30 AM
I'm mainly saying that unit sales are not the only (or even the biggest factor) for developers when it comes to what platform to make games on.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#18GameDesignerSagePosted 3/15/2013 1:54:13 AM
It's true, moneyhatting aside, hardware sales isn't the only factor. If it was, the Wii should have been the go to platform for third-parties but quite clearly it did not become that.

In addition to hardware sales, devs also consider attach rate (on average how much software is bought with hardware) and then further into that market growth of particular titles / genres. So if a console sells 100m yet has a crappy 3.1 software attach rate, then there's another console selling 80m but has a 5.6 attach rate, the devs are likely to go to the 80m console.

Even then, if a particular market has not been established on a platform, many a dev will choose to ignore it and go to a platform where that market is established. So if a dev wanting to get monies from the FPS crowd is choosing where to go, they will obviously choose the platform that shows there is an audience that buys that sort of stuff in droves. Even if one platform has a stupidly high attach rate, if that platforms does not have a strong FPS audience, the devs will go elsewhere.

There's also the tech side of things that can influence investment. Many third-parties ignored Wii because from 2004 onwards those devs were investing millios if not tens of millions in building tools and preparing for HD development. So when Wii was revealed and shown to be a platform that didn't progress much in tech, that platform became incompatible with those developers plans and goals for the next six or so years and to accommodate the Wii into those plans meant a whole other department and costly investment in its own right to be setup. Just for that one platform. So naturally, devs decided to ignore Wii instead and just go with their multiplatform HD plans.

Now, where the Vita stands against each one of those factors, people can speculate themselves.
#19sockesockePosted 3/15/2013 2:14:14 AM
KaneBlueriver posted...
Hopefully. I'm still waiting Banpresto to announce something for the Vita. >_>

summon night swordcraft story 1-3 remade and localized...one can dream right?
---
MotiJr:Sony copied George Foreman grills with their playstation 3 design.
http://backloggery.com/sockesocke
#20DevilStriderPosted 3/15/2013 2:30:06 AM
Thug4L1fe posted...
It will only spread now as the 100k will show off the game to other non Vita owners who in turn will want it and buy it.

Not. I showed off mine and no one bought it.
---
kcypher2000: "Btw i pirate and i don't give a damn what you think about it. At the end of the day you are paying to play what i get for free."