monster hunter is half off, worth it?

#1MetroidHunter13Posted 3/23/2013 9:05:52 PM
ive never touched a monster hunter title, and i was curious about MHFU, since everyone gives it tons of praise.

i really like demons souls and dark souls, and this game seems related (at least in some aspects, maybe im wrong)

can anyone give me any insight on it?
---
R.I.P. Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, you'll be missed.
PSN - Disp0sable_13
#2Tempest717Posted 3/23/2013 9:10:51 PM(edited)
The only way they're really similar is that they're both fairly challenging.

Oh and swords.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#3SigmaHacielPosted 3/23/2013 9:11:14 PM
Imagine Demon Souls with clunkier combat, and a LOT of hunting/gathering, the most mundane task any MMO has anyone do.

And then a LOT of that task. And some boss hunting.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#4VerySolidusSnakPosted 3/23/2013 9:15:16 PM
Well, I got it last August before I left to college. So far, I've put a little more than 20 hours. The game is ok, but it's an acquired taste. You may or may not like it. The first few hours are a grind, but really, the whole game is a grind. The first few monsters that I've fought were so far a blast, kind of. You get a huge satisfaction when you defeat a monster, which requires skill and patience, like ninja gaiden sigma +.
In short, if you put time and dedication into this game, the rewards are great and satisfying. This game is not really my cup of tea though. For 9.99, I say go for it.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/christian138
#5MetroidHunter13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 9:16:06 PM
so overall, would it be worth it to jump on the sale? or skip it?

i really liked demons and dark souls, there was a fair amount of resource hunting in those games, but im sure monster hunter takes it a tad farther.
---
PSN - Disp0sable_13
#6Tempest717Posted 3/23/2013 9:18:17 PM
You might like it, tbh it took me a few tries to get into the game, and the gathering quests are only in the first few hours.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#7MyLovelyTotoriPosted 3/23/2013 9:19:54 PM
I have similar interest... I'd like to know if this game can be done all the way solo? I mean, we'll play this on vita, and only God knows how dead is the co-op mode is right now given how old this game is.... So? Can we go solo all the way?
#8Evil_GogetaPosted 3/23/2013 9:20:47 PM
It`s nothing like Dark Souls/Demons Souls in anyway and it`s not even that challenging.
You will enjoy it a lot more if you are in a group of people or using ad hoc party to play against people over the world.

I`ve put in literally nearly 3k hours in MH2ndG/MH3rd and MH3G combined and I am awaiting 4!

If you enjoy going out collecting and harvesting stuff whilst killing and harvesting their pelts and bones etc, and taking down big bosses in which you don`t know how long it`ll take with friends (of if you are amazingly strong taking down the big bosses on your own) then this game needs you!

By the way guys is MHFU 2ndG? because if it is then start with this game as its the best next to Frontier which gets constant updates (being online).
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (Vita) Soul Sacrifice, One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 and PSO2.
#9MetroidHunter13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 9:25:08 PM
i talked to my brother tonight about it, he played one of them on the PSP, him and his best friend were hooked on it for like a year.

he said he wouldnt get this one because of how "open ended" it was.

he said i would probably spend more time on the computer looking for how to do things in the game rather than playing it.

from what he said, some quests will say "go kill 10 of these monsters" but not tell you were to go.

i dont mind hunting and gathering, being an avid WoW player for 5 years, and liking other games that require gathering and crafting (feeds my pack rat tendencies) im just not sure, is there a "wrong" way to play the game?
---
PSN - Disp0sable_13
#10VerySolidusSnakPosted 3/23/2013 10:05:20 PM
MetroidHunter13 posted...
i talked to my brother tonight about it, he played one of them on the PSP, him and his best friend were hooked on it for like a year.

he said he wouldnt get this one because of how "open ended" it was.

he said i would probably spend more time on the computer looking for how to do things in the game rather than playing it.

from what he said, some quests will say "go kill 10 of these monsters" but not tell you were to go.

i dont mind hunting and gathering, being an avid WoW player for 5 years, and liking other games that require gathering and crafting (feeds my pack rat tendencies) im just not sure, is there a "wrong" way to play the game?

Just get it. It's only 9.99 for a limited time. It may be the best game you ever bought at 9.99 with over 500 hours of gameplay.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/christian138