monster hunter is half off, worth it?

#11deathslovePosted 3/23/2013 11:22:06 PM
VerySolidusSnak posted...
MetroidHunter13 posted...
i talked to my brother tonight about it, he played one of them on the PSP, him and his best friend were hooked on it for like a year.

he said he wouldnt get this one because of how "open ended" it was.

he said i would probably spend more time on the computer looking for how to do things in the game rather than playing it.

from what he said, some quests will say "go kill 10 of these monsters" but not tell you were to go.

i dont mind hunting and gathering, being an avid WoW player for 5 years, and liking other games that require gathering and crafting (feeds my pack rat tendencies) im just not sure, is there a "wrong" way to play the game?

Just get it. It's only 9.99 for a limited time. It may be the best game you ever bought at 9.99 with over 500 hours of gameplay.

This it is only $10
I got it on psp a long time ago when they had a sale for the same price and thought it was worth it.
#12CompassPosted 3/24/2013 12:12:12 AM
ive never touched a monster hunter title, and i was curious about MHFU, since everyone gives it tons of praise.

Everyone? Not quite.
#13MetroidHunter13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 12:24:08 AM
well, to be fair, i see more praise than hate.
---
R.I.P. Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, you'll be missed.
PSN - Disp0sable_13
#14Evil_GogetaPosted 3/24/2013 1:19:17 AM
i talked to my brother tonight about it, he played one of them on the PSP, him and his best friend were hooked on it for like a year.

he said he wouldnt get this one because of how "open ended" it was.

he said i would probably spend more time on the computer looking for how to do things in the game rather than playing it.

from what he said, some quests will say "go kill 10 of these monsters" but not tell you were to go.

i dont mind hunting and gathering, being an avid WoW player for 5 years, and liking other games that require gathering and crafting (feeds my pack rat tendencies) im just not sure, is there a "wrong" way to play the game?

It has that kind of MMO feel with Quests, but you get 50 minutes to complete said quest so if it is easy enough you can wander and collect items, kill then harvest bones and pelts from monsters. It wont tell you where they are but it will show a `drawing` and you will gather what they`re from the colour of them.
Also if its a boss monster it will only tell you to kill one of them!

I think it`s worth the purchase (if Freedom Unite is 2nG then it`S 100% worth it!)
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (Vita) Soul Sacrifice, One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 and PSO2.
#15xXxHaseoxXxPosted 3/24/2013 1:50:41 AM
Evil_Gogeta posted...
It`s nothing like Dark Souls/Demons Souls in anyway and it`s not even that challenging.

I'm sorry... what? Monster Hunter isn't challenging? I hope your not comparing it to the Souls games, because Monster Hunter is far more challenging then those (Beat Demons Souls, and platinumed Dark Souls, so I know what I'm talking about.)
---
PSN:K-quick
#16no2morroPosted 3/24/2013 2:45:44 AM
It's not really like Dark Souls at all (which is probably what everyone else has said).

I should probably preface this with the fact I was a RABID Monster Hunter fan in 2005, soloed MHF, MHF2, MHP2g, MH Tri, MHP3rd.

After all that, I figured I should check out Demon's Souls (after a tonne of hype). They are vastly different, but Demon's Souls taught me that I was grinding way too hard in the MH series.

MH is legitimately a good game, but there is so much grinding required to get parts (e.g. Machalite Stones, Dragonite Stones, Earth Stones, Carpenter Bugs, and all that kind of stuff - and that's the easy stuff, later you need - monster fluid, pale extracts and stuff like that) to make better weapons and armor. It's really fun, until you learn that the ladder of this is so unnecessarily convoluted it's just a grind.

What annoyed me the most was you beat a monster, then suddenly you get to HR3 and you get the same monster but it hits twice as hard. Then you get to HR5, and it hits twice as hard again. You get to HR8-9 it his twice as hard again. There is no real reason for why it does, but its virtually the same attack pattern, it just hits harder and is more difficult to beat. You can solo it (need stronger weapons to do it), but its just a grind.

I had the patience for it in MHF in 2005 because it was new then. The pattern hasn't changed AT ALL since then. The only minor difference is that Capcom have now added an extra attack move for HR-8 monsters (seriously, whoop-dee-doo!). Because of this, I might play if from time to time, but it doesn't hold me. I would recommend checking out Unite (2g), but expect a grind fest.

Ultimately, you will either love or hate it...eventually you will get bored of it though as you will likely see the same problems that I noted above. It should be fun because its fresh at the start, but who knows if it was hold.
---
Peasant: What line of business might you be in?
Hopkins: God's Business: witch-finding!-Do you confess?
#17Spetsnaz420Posted 3/24/2013 3:42:23 AM
If you haven't played a monster Hunter yet it's a good one to get...lots of contet
---
A tiger doesn't lose sleep to the opinions of sheep
PSN: Spetsnaz420
#18Whose_the_ManPosted 3/24/2013 6:14:18 AM
It's pretty great for single player, even better for multiplayer.

You pretty much have to grind if you want the best armor, but it's not necessary (for armor). People complain a lot about no auto lock, but that pretty much takes out the fun of the game. There are a lot of monsters to fight, most of them have unique moves. It's a pretty great investment for a $10 game.
#19Evil_GogetaPosted 3/24/2013 6:59:51 AM
xXxHaseoxXx posted...
Evil_Gogeta posted...
It`s nothing like Dark Souls/Demons Souls in anyway and it`s not even that challenging.

I'm sorry... what? Monster Hunter isn't challenging? I hope your not comparing it to the Souls games, because Monster Hunter is far more challenging then those (Beat Demons Souls, and platinumed Dark Souls, so I know what I'm talking about.)

As I`ve said I`ve put in nearly 3k hours (maybe more) into MH and it was a brisk walk through the park, alongside the Souls games :).
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (Vita) Soul Sacrifice, One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 and PSO2.
#20RhytenPosted 3/24/2013 7:11:03 AM
TC, why not watch a few videos? There's a lot of them, so you can see if you may like it or not.
---
Antec Neo Eco 620w | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | i5 2500k 3.3 Ghz | EVGA Gtx 570 1280 Mb | 8 Gb DDR 3 1333 Mhz | WD 1 Tb 7200 Rpm SATA 3 | HP 2011x 20" 1600x900