Is there any reason Why the Vita has propitiatory memory?

#31Starwars4JPosted 3/26/2013 9:55:12 AM
PeteZaHutx posted...
Rotuhiiri posted...
SD cards weren't fast enough for the Vita. A scientific study concluded that they have a read speed of at least 17.5 mb/s.

Source:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/65272903

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Flash-memory-Class/dp/B002TQ6HT6

He was being facetious. Did you even click on his link?
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#32Viet0nePosted 3/26/2013 9:56:02 AM
LemonKweenstaaa posted...
The console is selling at a loss and Sony is trying to profit from Vita owners buying proprietary accessories.

TheExiled280 posted...
Anti-Piracy

Hmm, 3DS doesn't seem to have a problem with piracy despite using standard SD cards.

3DS games haven't been pirated yet but DS games have been and are playable on the 3DS. You're statement is invalid. Even more, 3DS has been hacked recently and soon there will be piracy of 3DS games.
---
Currently Playing: Civ5
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#33PeteZaHutx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 9:56:16 AM
yep as soon as i saw demondog i new something was up.
#34neskyPosted 3/26/2013 9:56:55 AM
Viet0ne posted...
LemonKweenstaaa posted...
The console is selling at a loss and Sony is trying to profit from Vita owners buying proprietary accessories.

TheExiled280 posted...
Anti-Piracy

Hmm, 3DS doesn't seem to have a problem with piracy despite using standard SD cards.

3DS games haven't been pirated yet but DS games have been and are playable on the 3DS. You're statement is invalid. Even more, 3DS has been hacked recently and soon there will be piracy of 3DS games.

Yay? >.>
---
i7 930 @ 4.05 | 12GB 2000MHz Dominator GT | Evga GTX 480 SLI @ 850/2000 | Win 7 Pro - Intel X25-M MLC SSD Raid 0 | Corsair 1200AX | Dual Loop LCS | Corsair 800D
#35RjmhartPosted 3/26/2013 10:03:52 AM
Probably a more important question is, how much do the Sony cards cost to make? Is there any reason why they can't have an upgraded, faster SD card that better protects against pirating, and still sell it at a more reasonable price? Is the cost to mass produce these things really 5x that of the standard memory card? If not, then they are just marking it up.

I buy the"corporate greed" argument, but it's foolish on Sony's part. They are losing Vita sales because people are getting turned off by the price of the memory cards.
---
Psn: big_bob002
#36StrikeNinja24Posted 3/26/2013 10:04:12 AM
Lets be honest, the PSP didnt have Western support even before it was hacked wide open.

The masses wouldnt have bought the games that were available regardless.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin
#37PeteZaHutx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 10:11:01 AM
Rjmhart posted...
Probably a more important question is, how much do the Sony cards cost to make? Is there any reason why they can't have an upgraded, faster SD card that better protects against pirating, and still sell it at a more reasonable price? Is the cost to mass produce these things really 5x that of the standard memory card? If not, then they are just marking it up.

I buy the"corporate greed" argument, but it's foolish on Sony's part. They are losing Vita sales because people are getting turned off by the price of the memory cards.

Exactly theres no excuse for this.
#38kewldude475Posted 3/26/2013 10:12:21 AM
Kenaue posted...
Piracy (which is a crap reason. 3DS uses SD cards, and hasn't been hacked.)

3DS doesn't have USB ports, which helps. Or maybe it doesn't. Still, 3DS is selling like crazy with strong first and third party support.
---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475
#39PeteZaHutx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 10:12:58 AM
StrikeNinja24 posted...
Lets be honest, the PSP didnt have Western support even before it was hacked wide open.

The masses wouldnt have bought the games that were available regardless.

Good point , PSP only started picking after title's like GTA and ratchet were announced and eventually CFW , no where near the caliber of eastern sales though.
#40kewldude475Posted 3/26/2013 10:14:13 AM
Roachmeat posted...
Kenaue posted...
Piracy (which is a crap reason. 3DS uses SD cards, and hasn't been hacked.)

Perhaps. But Nintendo has also proven that they don't need third party devs to keep their portables around as much as SONY would. Four words why:

MARIO
POKEMON
ANIMAL CROSSING

Everytime you hear a new announcement with one of those games, all of the sudden "Vita's doomed", and whatever. Simply put, the 3Ds would sell fine even if hacked, just on the stuff people would buy a 3Ds for in the first place.

And of course their actual first party games are wildly popular. Don't really care for Animal Crossing or Pokemon, but hey, lots of people like it.
---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475