Is there any legality in modding a ps vita?

#1DB_RBPosted 3/30/2013 5:05:53 PM
I am curious to know this since because with every update comes a new jailbreak that in turn causes a certain game capable of perfoming the mod to be removed from the psn store and then readded following the next update.

This has caused me to wonder why would anyone jailbreak it. Wouldn't they get banned from psn? Or do they fond a way to play offline without sony detecting them?

I'm no supporter of jailbreaking, but if you have to buy a game legitly for the mod to work there seems to be some legality there. Also, while I would never do this for a ps vita game, it would seem reasonable to do this for a psp game or ps1 game that is not added to the psn store on the vita.

So basically I want to know why would people take chances in modding their vita. Is it because the games they play are offline only?
---
The official Drake, Sir Dan, and Kat of the PSASBR boards.
#2GameNextPosted 3/30/2013 5:08:39 PM
They don't get online since Sony will probably block them.
---
Currently Playing: Disgaea 3 (PSV), Persona 4 GOLDEN (PSV), LittleBigplanet (PSV), Persona 3 (PSP), Patapon 123 (PSP) and random PSP games
PSN: michael903
#3OtakuGameraPosted 3/30/2013 5:19:34 PM
offline only, it's legal to mod whatever device you want, it's not legal to use copyrighted software that is not meant to be on it, on it.
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#4MuintirPosted 3/30/2013 5:30:18 PM
people mod their systems to get added benefits & features that companies for whatever reason choose not to support, add features that companies remove, play game they already own without having to repurchase them, etc. Im not sure how it is on the Vita but I do know the mod you are talking about allows you to play backups of your psp games which some people take advantage of since there is no BC with the vita. The most recent psp cfw was compatible with the most recent update iirc and people can still play online with their vita games.

Modding in general is not against the law since you are just customizing a device you legally own. However there are certain terms and conditions with using psn and Sony does reserve the right to ban someone for having modded software.
---
#5townparkradioPosted 3/30/2013 6:13:49 PM
Muintir posted...
people mod their systems to get added benefits & features that companies for whatever reason choose not to support, like piracy

That's what you actually mean.
#6GuitaristMattPosted 3/30/2013 7:07:22 PM(edited)
It's always been legal in the US. Unlocking phones (to work with different providers) finally became legal just last month.

They do it to play homebrew, and for PSP BC.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/cheesystuff.png
i5-3250 GT640m 2GB DDR3 4GB HDD 500GB
#7vincient_FFVIIPosted 3/30/2013 7:36:04 PM
I thought they made that illegal in January or February
---
if its not my character... i dont care :)
#8Bikes-Posted 3/30/2013 8:54:34 PM
vincient_FFVII posted...
I thought they made that illegal in January or February

A quick google search says that unlocking the phone to work on different providers is illegal but jailbreaking to run homebrew is fine.
#9DB_RB(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 10:27:41 AM
so if i am to mod my vita to play ps1 and psp games that aren't backwards compatible will I get banned? I don't believe Sony can detect it if it's a psp or ps1 game since there is no online mode in those games and I can play offline.

I have no reason to mod my vita to get free vita games since I am a gamefly subscriber so I rent vita games there. I just want to do this for psp and ps1 games.

And if I do get this mod thing working, will I be able to go online on my vita games, sync trophies, or access psn store? or will I get banned?
---
The official Drake, Sir Dan, and Kat of the PSASBR boards.
#10RyuuHou25Posted 3/31/2013 10:31:16 AM
GuitaristMatt posted...
It's always been legal in the US. Unlocking phones (to work with different providers) finally became legal just last month.

They do it to play homebrew, and for PSP BC.

Uhhh...yeah, it's not legal in the US. Unlocking phones is vastly different. What modders do is akin to reverse engineering, which is quite illegal.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB