Why Game Developers Are Flocking to Sony and Fleeing From Microsoft - Article

#1NnamzPosted 4/8/2013 8:15:55 PM
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/04/sony-indies/

Just some quotes:

“Microsoft treats independent developers very badly,” said Jonathon Blow, creator of the breakout indie success Braid. Blow appeared at Sony’s recent PlayStation 4 announcement event to show his new game The Witness. He said in an email that Microsoft’s stance on relations with independent developers is to “put you through as much pain as you will endure in order to extract whatever [they] feel like this week.”

"Brian Provinciano, creator of the old-school parody game Retro City Rampage, tells horror stories about his experience with Microsoft. He says the Xbox maker canceled the release of his game on Live Arcade after he spoke out publicly about the inefficiencies of the process. Microsoft, he says, forced him to resubmit the game through the arduous approvals process and go through an extra six months of negotiations that required him to submit the game through an outside publisher to get it released.

And when the game did come out, he says Microsoft made an expensive mistake: “Someone made a mistake and released it on XBLA for $10 instead of $15, so most of the copies sold earned one-third less off the top,” he said in an email.

"Indie games might also prove to be a get-out-of-jail-free card for Sony’s beleaguered handheld platform PlayStation Vita. Like the PSP before it, Sony positioned the high-powered Vita as a device that would put the big-budget console experience in the palm of your hand. But sluggish sales and close to zero buy-in from software makers painted a bleak picture. But where big publishers see a wasteland, indies see opportunity.

“I was surprised to see more players on PS Vita than PS3, and that has been pretty consistent since we launched,” said James Whitehead of indie developer Boss Baddie, which just released the Geometry Wars-styled, twin-stick shooter Big Sky Infinity for Sony machines in December. This is surprising because there are roughly 10 times as many PlayStation 3s as Vitas in consumers’ hands. But whereas PlayStation 3 owners are spoiled for choice, Vita players still need content, and indies are happy to fill the void. “It has been great for us; there are a couple of hundred thousand people playing it,” he said."

OMGEEERD VITASSURANCE

It's nice to see little games like Big Sky Infinity selling a couple hundred thousand units, and nice to see it selling more on Vita than PS3. Big budget AAA publishers are (rightfully) wary of publishing on the Vita because of it's smaller userbase, so I think Sony is doing the right thing (for the time being) attracting smaller devs who are more willing to publish on the system right now. And it's nice seeing so many of them having their Vita skews be more successful than any of the other ones.

Indie games don't sell systems (for the most part), and this doesn't somehow mean the Vita is "saved". But it'll be nice to have a stream of smaller games to play as Vita's userbase grows and larger 3rd parties take notice.
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 4527 - 7250 - 9769 <-- Inbox me your FC.
#2alexg1989Posted 4/8/2013 8:45:48 PM
Good to know...

Never did like MC... and this at least means I have more games to look forward to on my Vita until more big AAA titles start rolling out...
---
PSN ID: psvitagamer89 ~~ God is fake, isn't it obvious?
Read my blog: http://www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com
#3IokuaPosted 4/8/2013 8:47:33 PM
Indie games are meaningless in the long run, which is why Microsoft isn't chasing them down for support. They want the big money, they want the big name games, the ones that sell millions of copies. There may be some great indie titles, but the vast majority of indie developers don't have publisher support for a very good reason.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#4Steve_TeddiePosted 4/8/2013 8:55:45 PM
Indie games are meaningless in the long run, which is why Microsoft isn't chasing them down for support. They want the big money, they want the big name games, the ones that sell millions of copies. There may be some great indie titles, but the vast majority of indie developers don't have publisher support for a very good reason.

Dumbest comment of the year award.

And the winner is...

You!
#5townparkradioPosted 4/8/2013 9:14:35 PM
Phil Fish and his three friends are unhappy with Microsoft.

Good for them.

Meanwhile, REAL developers are fleeing Sony and going to Nintendo and Microsoft. I ahte hte term "vitassurance" normally but.. yeah
#6IokuaPosted 4/8/2013 9:15:57 PM
Steve_Teddie posted...

And the winner is...

You!

I'm sorry, but you should be awarding yourself. For indie every game like Journey there are thousands of them that are absolute horse ****. Furthermore you can't sell a game like Journey for a lot of money, or any indie game for that matter as they don't have much in the way of substance. So when it all boils down to it there is less profit to be made with them than with the smash hits that Microsoft wants. If you have an issue with this pull your head out of your ass and use it for what it's intended for.
---
#7Steve_TeddiePosted 4/8/2013 9:15:59 PM

Good for them.

Meanwhile, REAL developers are fleeing Sony and going to Nintendo and Microsoft. I ahte hte term "vitassurance" normally but.. yeah

A new challenger appears!
#8Steve_TeddiePosted 4/8/2013 9:17:06 PM
Steve_Teddie posted...

And the winner is...

You!

I'm sorry, but you should be awarding yourself. For indie every game like Journey there are thousands of them that are absolute horse ****. Furthermore you can't sell a game like Journey for a lot of money, or any indie game for that matter as they don't have much in the way of substance. So when it all boils down to it there is less profit to be made with them than with the smash hits that Microsoft wants. If you have an issue with this pull your head out of your ass and use it for what it's intended for.

A winner is you!
#9IokuaPosted 4/8/2013 9:17:59 PM
townparkradio posted...

Good for them.

They're fleeing to Nintendo? Seriously? There are two worthwhile games on the Wii U, and one of them is first party. The 3DS has similar issues only nowhere near as severe, and Microsoft has two major exclusive franchise which are both first party. I know using your brain is hard, but you should give it a shot.
---
#10RyuuHou25Posted 4/8/2013 9:42:15 PM
Iokua posted...
Steve_Teddie posted...

And the winner is...

You!

You're confusing Indie game makers with "I live in the basement and know how to code C+ and I didn't go to Uni or anything and I can't get a real job, so I'll make games!" makers.

In other words, people that know what they're doing, and people with no ******* idea what they're doing. I just use the stereotype to emphasis the point.

It may not make as many millions as big budget titles have the capacity too, but you get enough of them selling well at MUCH smaller budgets, that equals bigger profit margins overall, and companies LOVE bigger profit margins, even if it's actually less money.

For instance, say a game makes a 25% profit margin with 40 million in total made (so 10 million in profit) but another game makes 15 million with a 40% profit margin (6 million in profit) guess which one they're going to be more happy about? The 40%! Because they can take that, put it on pie charts, it'll look more impressive, they can sling it to their stock holders or what not, and they'll be more happy!

Kind of like how blair witch and paranormal activity convince big name studios to finance smaller budget FPV hand held cam movies, and LOTS of them. If they can keep making butt loads of money, with smaller budgets to increase their profit margins, they will love that!

So Microsoft are being assclowns, no ifs ands or buts. Because they can't get that through their thick skulls. Which really isn't surprising given what they're apparently going to do with the 720 or Durango or whatever it is.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB