O.O Umm guys, should we worry about this?: PS Vita -76%/Gamasutra Retail News

#1Rurouni720Posted 4/22/2013 2:45:24 PM
On top of Nintendo's difficulties, Sony is in deep trouble with its PlayStation Vita handheld. Not only is Sony now effectively a single-platform company, but the sales of that one platform (the PlayStation 3) are shrinking. The positive reception of the PlayStation 4 has helped gloss over these uncomfortable facts, but once the elation of E3 2013 passes in June, there will be a period of several months during which sales will likely decline further.

There are several points to make here, but let me start with Sony. In the first quarter of of 2012, the PlayStation Vita was only available in February and March. Moreover, the first quarter periods in these two years are not entirely comparable, because there was an extra week of sales (called a leap week) in the retail calendar for January 2013. So that 76 percent decline in sales from last year is actually underplaying how catastrophically low Vita sales are right now.

At some point retailers have to begin asking how much space they're willing to commit to a system that is barely selling. Certainly the chains would like to keep on good terms, especially since they have to be planning for PlayStation 4 retail sales later this year, but no one wants to tie up prime space with a product that is as big a failure as the Vita.

As for Sony, the key indicator for their U.S. business is whether they continue to talk about the PlayStation Vita. The PlayStation 3 is essentially guaranteed a solid release slate for the remainder of 2013, and should help smooth the transition to the PlayStation 4. But with the utter collapse of their handheld brand in the U.S., they have an option to drop the platform entirely. They will finally release distinct PSP and Vita hardware sales figures in May, along with distinct PS2 and PS3 sales, and those will likely tell the story. Sony may not want to abandon the Vita in the U.S., but without a miracle I don't see how they convince retailers (or, perhaps more importantly, publishers) to stick with them for much longer.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/190926/Amid_challenges_US_video_game_retail_trudges_ahead.php

I'm quite disturbed by this news to be honest, i wish the Vita luck on it's future but damn those numbers cannot be spun either way around it (that goes for any console and handheld in regards to MS/Nintendo too). I remembered the Vita's SW/HW worldwide charts were lower than the Dreamcast's last year, so if anyone has news about how that's been going so far this year, has it improved for the Vita at least in any way after the Black Friday sales & price cut form japan?

Vita deserves better than this. :(
#2Shadowfxd2Posted 4/22/2013 2:52:40 PM
we got ports to save Vita. So I'm not worried!
---
http://i.imgur.com/NbGmq.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/ARXXY.jpg
Equals: http://i.imgur.com/ZpBae.jpg, Hmmm: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29629070.jpg
#3Marik78Posted 4/22/2013 2:53:21 PM
U.S. sales.
I don't care at all.
#4Raven-ZPosted 4/22/2013 2:55:55 PM(edited)
'Sony is in deep trouble with its PlayStation Vita handheld. Not only is Sony now effectively a single-platform company, but the sales of that one platform (the PlayStation 3) are shrinking.'

PS3 (outselling everything globally if you add all territories together)
PSV (#2 selling console in Japan week-on-week and picking up speed in EU)
PSP (still selling well in JP, still has lots of upcoming games)
PS4 (pre-orders are live, launches this year)

Stopped reading at the stupidity in the first paragraph.
---
PSN/GT/Steam: Ravendust
Reviews are a metric of quality. Sales are a metric of popularity.
#5jenraisPosted 4/22/2013 2:55:33 PM
Vita needs games and not ports.
#6Marik78Posted 4/22/2013 2:57:47 PM
jenrais posted...

There ARE games.
But sadly, no localisation for you :p
#7krizz07Posted 4/22/2013 2:58:15 PM
jenrais posted...

ports are games too.
#8Steve_TeddiePosted 4/22/2013 2:59:29 PM
'Sony is in deep trouble with its PlayStation Vita handheld. Not only is Sony now effectively a single-platform company, but the sales of that one platform (the PlayStation 3) are shrinking.'

PS3 (outselling everything globally if you add all territories together)
PSV (#2 selling console in Japan week-on-week and picking up speed in EU)
PSP (still selling well in JP, still has lots of upcoming games)
PS4 (pre-orders are live, launches this year)

Stopped reading at the stupidity in the first paragraph.

Pretty much this. PS3 sales declining? What? Year on year is down...like every other platform. It's the #1 selling console globally (3DS is probably #1 overall, unless PS3 kills it in Europe/rest of the world, which I doubt).

The Vita is dead unless the PS4 inner-connectivity somehow revitalizes it, which is doubtful.
#9NewhopesPosted 4/22/2013 3:06:58 PM(edited)
This has been going on for a while some retailers started pulling the Vita off the shelves around christmas, most retailers seem to be stripping stock from store where it doesn't sell and stending to the stores it does, it's just starting to hit the headlines now.

Vita's life doesn't depend on Sony now it depend on weather or not retail stops supporting it.
#10Raven-ZPosted 4/22/2013 3:12:55 PM
If you want some global numbers instead of just US, read this;

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250910/2013-year-on-year-sales-and-market-share-update-to-april-13th/

Globally, the PS3 was the top selling console in 2011, 2012 and (so far) 2013. Numbers are down, but what do you expect? It's in it's seventh year, and it's successor comes out soon. It will continue to sell in second-world countries and Europe for a few years right up to the 100mil mark.

The Vita is a slow burner, just like the PS3 was compared to the Wii. Tech-wise it has a lot of life in it. While the 3DS has a bigger market share (30mil to Vita's 5), it has also been on the market longer and at a cheaper price point. Trolls and naysayers will condemn it to doom, but the truth is it is selling. In Japan it outsells everything but the 3DS and is slowly growing.
---
PSN/GT/Steam: Ravendust
Reviews are a metric of quality. Sales are a metric of popularity.