All's Japan has to do is add ENGLISH text to their games and

#31BruceLee1974(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 7:10:03 AM
Evil_Gogeta posted...
BruceLee1974 posted...
Some of you's speak as if you are GAME DEVELOPERS. I think they are the only ones that can give a real answer, all others are just assumptions from people who think they know.

But some of you's are so certain and treat my asking that it's plain silly to even mention this. But none of you's commented why some Japanese games have English already in them, sometimes even half the game. If it's so hard for them, why do they bother with ANY ENGLISH ?

As a ENG > JPN/JPN > ENG translator (especially having experience in the gaming industry) I think I know a lot about this subject. It will not benefit Japan in anyway and games will be put back as I said.

It depends on the JPN side wanting to challenge to send it over and if US/EU want to challenge bringing it over. If the US/EU want it faster (some games have done so recently too) then they would get it before JPN or on the same day worldwide.

I think Japan could benefit because Vita games are REGION FREE, and because of the lack of releases for the Vita in the rest of the world, more people can import them, so they get more sales. I think it would make a lot of people happy in the rest of the world if Japan Devs did this, but like others said , depends if it's worth them money wise.

When I say half English meaning some games I see half the menu in English, not really the in game text though. WHy do they bother putting any of the menu in English if it's only for Japanese ? Why not just full Jap ?
#32PiesiaPosted 4/28/2013 7:32:10 AM
Evil_Gogeta posted...
BruceLee1974 posted...
Some of you's speak as if you are GAME DEVELOPERS. I think they are the only ones that can give a real answer, all others are just assumptions from people who think they know.

But some of you's are so certain and treat my asking that it's plain silly to even mention this. But none of you's commented why some Japanese games have English already in them, sometimes even half the game. If it's so hard for them, why do they bother with ANY ENGLISH ?

As a ENG > JPN/JPN > ENG translator (especially having experience in the gaming industry) I think I know a lot about this subject. It will not benefit Japan in anyway and games will be put back as I said.

Hi, evil golgeta!

As a game importer, I prefer to import games with English subtitles, I really don't care if the game is dubbed or not.

It depends on the JPN side wanting to challenge to send it over and if US/EU want to challenge bringing it over. If the US/EU want it faster (some games have done so recently too) then they would get it before JPN or on the same day worldwide.

I think you're talking about a different thing here, right? You're talking about official distribution through an EU/NA distributor, I'm talking about privately importing a game.

I agree that there are costs associated with translating software. If its done right (translated text in string resource tables or header files instead of buried in code), the costs will be minimal for translation, although the cost to test the translated versions of the app will be large (any part of the app that exposes translated text to a user has to be retested by a tester familiar with that language).

In short, maybe you're right and the translation won't be cost effective: I don't know.

I'd prefer to buy (imported or not) a game that has English subtitles, regardless of the original voice language. I import games from ap, Japan and eu, and can't speak every language: English is still I think the most common second language in the world.

Thanks for your comments!
---
Best regards,
Piesia
#33Evil_GogetaPosted 4/28/2013 7:45:17 AM
In the end, it will delay Japanese release and the Japanese will not enjoy that. When Translators here (such as myself) head projects, it starts here in Japan where we send out the project details in English and then the US/EU heads get their translator teams to start working on it at a certain point set by them and the Japanese staff.
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (Vita) PSO2 and Time Travellers. (PC) Monster Hunter Frontier
#34The_King82Posted 4/28/2013 11:33:54 AM
Yes. It'll save money and be released earlier in other regions.
---
8GB OF GDDR5 RAM!!!!!
#35Guerrilla SoldierPosted 4/28/2013 11:44:18 AM
It's almost as if Japanese companies don't have meetings over translations and have to adjust budgets accordingly to get everything to work, or anything.

Just because it seems simple doesn't necessarily mean, as a business, that it's easy to do, especially if the company doesn't already have a translation team hired and trained to do a good job.

It's not a skill that everyone has, so finding the right team requires time and money that most companies, unless there's a budget put aside for that sole purpose, don't have. And if the game won't sell as many copies, there's even less incentive to do it, as the costs will greatly outweigh the profits.
---
Oakland A's fan: 2nd in AL West
Keep the A's in Oakland! 2012 AL West Champs
#36Zechs23Posted 4/28/2013 11:46:59 AM
I would be totally ok with this. It was done in VLR for EU anyways.
---
3DS FC: 0619-3034-0578
#37SigmaHacielPosted 4/28/2013 11:50:31 AM
The_King82 posted...
Yes. It'll save money and be released earlier in other regions.

Saves money for the US/EU branches.

But why should Japan care? Japan makes games for JAPAN.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#38BruceLee1974(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 3:52:20 PM
Evil Gogeta, so why do they have some parts of the game in English in most Jap games. It's always something in the menus mainly not in the main game, Why do they bother with this at all ?
#39confettistormPosted 4/28/2013 5:16:09 PM
Fyrus_Sverovec posted...
Oh hey, let's completely forget it costs money to translate and localize games (and not a little) and ask devs to bring games here !

This. Children don't understand how the world works.
#40lassics_shadowPosted 4/28/2013 5:40:10 PM
BruceLee1974 posted...
Evil Gogeta, so why do they have some parts of the game in English in most Jap games. It's always something in the menus mainly not in the main game, Why do they bother with this at all ?

Name some of these games. And please stop using "Jap," its a derogatory term.