All's Japan has to do is add ENGLISH text to their games and

#41NewhopesPosted 4/28/2013 8:24:02 PM
Kit_Sakurazuka posted...
I don't think he means that the games would be released outside of Japan at all. Just that the English text would be available for anyone who felt like importing. People complain about how much they 'need' dubs (even at the expense of months added to the localization process), but didn't that Demon's Souls game sell a ton of copies to importers because it had a full English translation on the Japanese disk?

Native English-speakers aren't exactly a majority in the Western world, as much as we seem to want to think we are, so I don't think it would actually harm sales all that much, if they just made games we'd otherwise never see a bit more import-friendly.

The only real obstacle to this idea is what a pain Sony made it to change accounts on the Vita. Getting DLC or digital copies for imports can be a real chore.

English is actually the second most widely used frist/second language in the world.
#42kingofall214Posted 4/28/2013 8:40:08 PM
Fyrus_Sverovec posted...
Oh hey, let's completely forget it costs money to translate and localize games (and not a little) and ask devs to bring games here !

This. If it was simple I would be playing Legend of heroes 2nd chapter by now. You can't just throw text into google translate and call it a day.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#43Evil_GogetaPosted 4/28/2013 8:53:49 PM
BruceLee1974 posted...
Evil Gogeta, so why do they have some parts of the game in English in most Jap games. It's always something in the menus mainly not in the main game, Why do they bother with this at all ?

Depends, if its a Japanese release game its mainly due to the fact that the Japanese like English terms and phrases so they add in bits of English that they know just to add to teh coolness, like some poeple when they think "Kawaii" or "Kakkoii" or "ikuzo" sounds cool and they keep it in an English game (mostly smaller titles though).

Other games that have English when you insert the game (when English is your systems default language) is due to the game being created at the same time around the world.
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (Vita) PSO2 and Time Travellers. (PC) Monster Hunter Frontier
#44BruceLee1974(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 10:30:15 PM
Well it might cost a bit more money to add English text, but it's worth it for VITA games as they are region free. They should at least try it on a few games see how much more they make from it.

If it works and a lot of people import it because of the English subtitles, then maybe other devs will follow.

Someone has to be the first to try it, otherwise how does anyone truly know how good or bad something will be.
#45MegaMettaurPosted 4/28/2013 10:34:45 PM
I thought you were gonna say "and pay someone to translate the game"
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#46PiesiaPosted 4/29/2013 12:54:09 AM
Evil_Gogeta posted...
In the end, it will delay Japanese release and the Japanese will not enjoy that.

It doesn't necessarily have to delay Japanese release with the vita with the update system: the translation of the Japanese game could be a program update (which would NOT require Japanese psn access, unlike releasing translation as dlc for the Japanese game)

I can understand Japanese gamers not wanting their games delayed for anything other than game content changes, I wouldn't either (just a few more days, and soul sacrifice will be out in north America -- I'd be upset if it were delayed for any reason)
---
Best regards,
Piesia
#47Evil_GogetaPosted 4/29/2013 1:04:39 AM
Piesia posted...
Evil_Gogeta posted...
In the end, it will delay Japanese release and the Japanese will not enjoy that.

It doesn't necessarily have to delay Japanese release with the vita with the update system: the translation of the Japanese game could be a program update (which would NOT require Japanese psn access, unlike releasing translation as dlc for the Japanese game)

I can understand Japanese gamers not wanting their games delayed for anything other than game content changes, I wouldn't either (just a few more days, and soul sacrifice will be out in north America -- I'd be upset if it were delayed for any reason)

The US/EU translators (whomever gets it first/contracts it first) would need to be working alongside them from the beginning which only happens on big name titles, the smaller companies do not wish to waste money if the game were not to sell well overseas in their eyes.
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (Vita) PSO2 and Time Travellers. (PC) Monster Hunter Frontier
#48atomicxPosted 4/29/2013 7:54:00 AM
Another alternative is to use Google Translate. It is a free app that you can install on your phone. It can use the camera on your phone to take a picture of the Japanese text, and it will translate it for you. It isn't perfect but still works quite well IMO. I am using it for Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012. I am currently learning Japanese, but in the mean time, this app has been great.
#49ZetgobPosted 4/29/2013 8:16:49 AM
Well it might cost a bit more money to add English text, but it's worth it for VITA games as they are region free. They should at least try it on a few games see how much more they make from it.

If it works and a lot of people import it because of the English subtitles, then maybe other devs will follow.

Someone has to be the first to try it, otherwise how does anyone truly know how good or bad something will be.

"A bit" more? You seem to massively underestimate how much it costs to translate a game. You also seem to vastly overestimate how many importers there really are.

There actually have been games that come with English options. The original three Gyakuten Saiban(Ace Attorney here) games for example. Yet they dropped this feature in later installments. Why would they do that if they made as much money on imports as you seem to think?

Fact is importing is expensive, and not many people are willing to do it. Add to the costs involved in translating a full game and it's just not a good business move for most developers. The companies that actually could afford this are usually the ones that have separate western branches to begin with, so letting them handle it a few months down the road is far more sensible.
#50CraddaPoostaPosted 4/29/2013 11:02:41 AM
BruceLee1974 posted...
Some of you's speak as if you are GAME DEVELOPERS. I think they are the only ones that can give a real answer, all others are just assumptions from people who think they know.

But some of you's are so certain and treat my asking that it's plain silly to even mention this. But none of you's commented why some Japanese games have English already in them, sometimes even half the game. If it's so hard for them, why do they bother with ANY ENGLISH ?

"You's"?

I find it amusing that someone with as loose a grasp on his sole and only native language is flummoxed over the difficulties in translating and localizing a Japanese game for an English-speaking market.

Master the single language that you speak, and then you can move on to trying to understand others.
---
3DS FC - 4811-7145-9541
PSN - CraddaPoosta