All's Japan has to do is add ENGLISH text to their games and

#51BruceLee1974(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 4:52:56 PM
CraddaPoosta posted...
BruceLee1974 posted...
Some of you's speak as if you are GAME DEVELOPERS. I think they are the only ones that can give a real answer, all others are just assumptions from people who think they know.

But some of you's are so certain and treat my asking that it's plain silly to even mention this. But none of you's commented why some Japanese games have English already in them, sometimes even half the game. If it's so hard for them, why do they bother with ANY ENGLISH ?

"You's"?

I find it amusing that someone with as loose a grasp on his sole and only native language is flummoxed over the difficulties in translating and localizing a Japanese game for an English-speaking market.

Master the single language that you speak, and then you can move on to trying to understand others.

Does that make you better then me because you corrected my spelling or my word ? If it makes you feel better to do this to people keep on doing it.

What ever makes you feel good about yourself.
#52PiesiaPosted 4/29/2013 5:56:18 PM
atomicx posted...
Another alternative is to use Google Translate. It is a free app that you can install on your phone. It can use the camera on your phone to take a picture of the Japanese text, and it will translate it for you. It isn't perfect but still works quite well IMO. I am using it for Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012. I am currently learning Japanese, but in the mean time, this app has been great.

No way? That really works?

Cool!
---
Best regards,
Piesia
#53CraddaPoostaPosted 4/30/2013 6:19:20 AM
BruceLee1974 posted...
CraddaPoosta posted...
BruceLee1974 posted...
Some of you's speak as if you are GAME DEVELOPERS. I think they are the only ones that can give a real answer, all others are just assumptions from people who think they know.

But some of you's are so certain and treat my asking that it's plain silly to even mention this. But none of you's commented why some Japanese games have English already in them, sometimes even half the game. If it's so hard for them, why do they bother with ANY ENGLISH ?

"You's"?

I find it amusing that someone with as loose a grasp on his sole and only native language is flummoxed over the difficulties in translating and localizing a Japanese game for an English-speaking market.

Master the single language that you speak, and then you can move on to trying to understand others.

Does that make you better then me because you corrected my spelling or my word ? If it makes you feel better to do this to people keep on doing it.

What ever makes you feel good about yourself.

You are the one, little guy, who came here complaining, whining and moaning because you're butthurt and you feel entitled to English versions of games that haven't been translated or localized for your region, even though you haven't the faintest clue about what is involved in translation/localization, and you have zero understanding about licensing rights.

Your sense of entitlement is mindboggling. To top that off, you are not competent in the single language you DO speak, so, the irony amuses me.
---
3DS FC - 4811-7145-9541
PSN - CraddaPoosta
#54atomicxPosted 4/30/2013 6:57:14 AM
Piesia posted...
atomicx posted...
Another alternative is to use Google Translate. It is a free app that you can install on your phone. It can use the camera on your phone to take a picture of the Japanese text, and it will translate it for you. It isn't perfect but still works quite well IMO. I am using it for Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012. I am currently learning Japanese, but in the mean time, this app has been great.

No way? That really works?

Cool!

Yeah, it really works. Sometimes getting a clean picture of the Vita screen can be tricky though. I guess it's because of the backlight in the screen that can cause weird scan lines in the pictures sometimes. I've been using Google Translate for a Japanese baseball game and I haven't had any real problems translating except for a couple things that were written in a cartoonish sort of font that the app could not read. For things like that you can simply use the app to draw the symbols yourself and it will translate them for you that way as well.
#55SieKensouPosted 4/30/2013 10:14:18 AM
NEVER trust software translations. NEVER
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#56L0ZPosted 4/30/2013 10:16:37 AM
Gravity rush did this
---
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
[IBM Tricore 3.2GHz | 10MB Custom ATI | 512 MB GDDR3]
#57TerotrousPosted 4/30/2013 10:52:20 AM(edited)
To be honest translation is not expensive if done during development. It's very easy to create a bank of localized strings in multiple languages and just pull out the relevant ones based on the selected language. Canadian and European developers have been doing this for ages.

Oh, and for the record, I am a software developer, and I've written software that has been localized in English and French.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#58SieKensouPosted 4/30/2013 12:16:08 PM(edited)
Terotrous posted...
To be honest translation is not expensive if done during development. It's very easy to create a bank of localized strings in multiple languages and just pull out the relevant ones based on the selected language. Canadian and European developers have been doing this for ages.

Oh, and for the record, I am a software developer, and I've written software that has been localized in English and French.

for one, french and english are similar. english and japanese are not...

another is the text required is quite different in context and quantity....

evil_gogeta's worked on stuff for games before and seems quite confident that it will delay the release of the game. i'm fairly certain that is true as well.

what i meant is that stories will be far too limited if you utilize a string bank. authors need to be unlimited.
---
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#59TerotrousPosted 4/30/2013 12:42:53 PM(edited)
SieKensou posted...
SieKensou posted...
for one, french and english are similar. english and japanese are not...

Doesn't really change too much if you don't understand french. Either way, you're going to need to send off the strings to a translation team who will translate them and send them back.

Unless your point is simply that Japanese to English translation takes longer than English to French. This might be the case, but not being the person who actually does the localizing I wouldn't know.

evil_gogeta's worked on stuff for games before and seems quite confident that it will delay the release of the game. i'm fairly certain that is true as well.

Oh sure, there's no question that it takes a little longer. But it's much quicker than finishing the game, then localizing it later. In programming it's always the case that planning for something ahead of time saves a lot of time in the long run.

what i meant is that stories will be far too limited if you utilize a string bank. authors need to be unlimited.

Actually pretty much all games use a string bank anyway, even if they only contain data for one region. It makes editing your text much easier than having to hunt through program code.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#60SieKensouPosted 4/30/2013 12:50:25 PM
the two languages are far too different from each other.

and simply using a string bank to develop your game will limit the authors far too much. it will also be annoying to write a story with string banks.

yes, games use "string banks" but not in the sense of "for dialogue A, let's make him say line 1 then line 44 then line 2" as you seem to be suggesting..
the text is made by the author and then dissected into string arrays.

unless the author is writing the story with a translator beside him, you cannot have this.

french and english on the other hand are very similar. the more similar your two languages are, the easier it is for you to swap languages...
---