All's Japan has to do is add ENGLISH text to their games and

#71TerotrousPosted 4/30/2013 9:54:47 PM
SieKensou posted...
just prepping the dialogue box character caps etc?... that's small and simple enough, but that doesn't do a thing to reduce the workload of translation/localization.... there's a lot of stuff that has to be well thought out during the process... the text editors/programmers can deal with the text problem relatively early on in the process....

Actually if those things aren't done they can make localizing games an absolute nightmare.

For example, suppose text doesn't automatically break into multiple boxes. Then if you have a text box that pretty much fills the box in Japanese, you're going to need two boxes in English, and that requires you to create another entry in the string bank, then find the spot where that message is called in the program code and add another box. This would then require more QA time because it's a code change and that requires more regression.

But back to the main point, as long as your software is prepped for translation, then you can do the localization at any time after the script is completed, you don't have to wait like 6 months after the game comes out. In particular, you could likely stub out the English option as your game goes into its final QA phase, have the translation done in parallel with QA, insert the script afterwards, and have a fairly seamless worldwide release for your game.

The main reason why this isn't done has more to do with the Japanese release paradigm than any logistical hurdle. Japanese companies are just too used to viewing their games as Japanese products first and foremost, and localization is always an afterthought. However, hopefully games like Pokemon X and Y will start to pave the way for a more international approach to game development.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#72SieKensouPosted 4/30/2013 11:06:40 PM
Terotrous posted...
However, hopefully games like Pokemon X and Y will start to pave the way for a more international approach to game development.

that's assuming the west starts to welcome japanese games again
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#73XylymphydytePosted 5/1/2013 12:01:52 AM
I like how everyone wants more games brought over from the west and people say "Why don't they just translate the text and not bother with new voice overs" and everyone jumps on them about it being too hard.

Like, what do you want? Do you want the games to come over to your country in a language you understand or do you just want to be angry at everyone who suggests a possibility? A 70 odd post thread arguing over who's right and who's wrong when the whole point in the beginning was "I'd be okay with japanese VA's."

And I think most people would be, I can't imagine that paying a couple dudes per language would not pay for itself in sales, how could it not? Sell like 100 copies there and that's probably going to mostly cover the one or two dude's salary who were responsible for that territory. And if the translation is bad? Now it's a cult classic and it continues to sell indefinitely as it gets recommended repeatedly on "hidden gem" threads across the internet.

The whole thing is constantly a win-win situation.

But it's too hard to translate words, IT'S TOO HARD TO PROGRAM TRANSLATE WORDS BOOKS READ LOCALIZE! People don't get Japanese jokes! IT WOULD ALIENATE THEM! Blah blah. At some point these arguments become trite. We've all enjoyed something hokey or a b-movie or a game that was less than a 9.0+ on metacritic.

Games are a unique medium in that they don't have to be fully understood to be enjoyed to their fullest because they're games that stand on gameplay. You may argue for story or character development or the like, but really, the best selling games over here are things like Call of Duty and Street Fighter, clearly we could give two hoots about story as long as we're having fun as gamers.

I often think these threads degenerate the way they do just because so many people have given up hope that developers will ever see reason and start spreading into other territories, and I think that they're being cynical and unreasonable, we're seeing a much more positive influx of Japanese titles in other territories, often with only text translations now. Yakuza was originally abandoned as being pointless to sell outside Japan due to the cost of hiring new VA's and resyncing lips and such, now we have 3 games in the franchise on the PS3 with English subs and Japanese dubs. The fans of those series bought them and had their friends get them, they were never going to be selling on par with Gears of War.

Black Rock Shooter just came out this last week with Japanese VA's and English subtitles. Once again, the fans are buying it and spreading info on it, and I for one purchased it having never heard of the series or game before entirely on the merit that the gameplay looked good. The game's excellent, I have no regrets.

Sega has publicly mentioned considering localizing Hatsune Miku on the Vita. One of the games that no one thought would ever be considered for localization ever. Sure, it's not out yet, but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm sure another part is that the devs just don't know they have fans outside of their own country. I make a note to email them when I enjoy a Japanese demo or import, and while I may have to use google translate to get the point across, I very often get an ecstatic email back from them to know they have fans in another country. If nothing else I bet a personal letter sent from a fan means more to the developers than any number of facebook petitions or angry forum posts.

So yeah, I guess that's my point. Tell the developers and publishers you like a game and would like to see localizations in your own words. Worst case scenario is you maybe make one of the developer's days and maybe it'll filter to the higher ups at some point. Seems to be working with some Devs,
#74TerotrousPosted 5/1/2013 7:33:30 AM
I do think there's pretty much no situation in which a straight dub of a game wouldn't cover its costs. If you don't do voice acting, I see no way that the straight translation of the game could cost more than $100k (that's enough to get two translators and an editor for 6 months, which should be more than enough even for RPGs). Now, there's probably still going to be various other licensing fees, but the total expenditure is so minuscule compared to the original development cost that I really can't see any case where it would ever make fiscal sense not to do it.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery