Why would Sony put up all of these sales on the day of Soul Sacrifices release?

#11xfactorPosted 4/29/2013 8:09:36 PM
Stasis_Sword posted...
plo617 posted...
I was going to pick up Soul Sacrifice tomorrow, though I was almost tempted to get that Tomb Raider during that flash sale. However, now with all of these insane new sales (I cannot pass up on), I'm going to delay my purchase of Souls Sacrifice.

Do you think that Sony (and I know some of these aren't first party, but a bunch of theme are), is potentially going to hurt there Soul Sacrifice's sales with the timing of these sales?

It's the same principal as the candy bar in the checkout line. They hope you log onto to get SS see the sales and spend $15-$30 more than you planned. Also remember Sony gets a cut no matter what you buy so if you pass up SS for sales, but spend the same amount they're still happy.

Except that vita is flopping and it needs soul sacrifice to push its sales. Its not as if they can't delay those games to push soul sacrifice/vita sales.

There's no saying that if he pass up SS now, he will return to SS later on.
---
www.capcom.co.jp/bio6
#12M_dragon159Posted 4/29/2013 8:21:31 PM(edited)
AceAndJunpei posted...
Are people really this hilariously dense?

TC wants Soul Sacrifice, a very hyped-up game, and he has money.

The same day said hyped up game releases, massive sales take place on the store. Since SS won't go down in price anytime soon, TC will want to jump on the temporary sales. With a limited amount of money, choices have to be made; does he get the anticipated, hyped-up game or grab the temporary deals? Not everyone can do both.\

Jesus, this board sucks.

xD Good try at clearing things up, although I doubt it didn't help much

More on topic, I think it's POSSIBLY more like this:
1) Soul Sacrifice drags to store
2) See deals for others and buy them
3) Buy Soul Sacrifice later date due to interests

Win/win for Sony. Although not so much for the development team of SS I guess xD
---
GT: RichTuba995363 | PSN: MDragon000
3DS: 1891 - 1378 - 1379 [for any tell me if you add]
#13Stasis_SwordPosted 4/29/2013 8:25:09 PM
M_dragon159 posted...
AceAndJunpei posted...

The same day said hyped up game releases, massive sales take place on the store. Since SS won't go down in price anytime soon, TC will want to jump on the temporary sales. With a limited amount of money, choices have to be made; does he get the anticipated, hyped-up game or grab the temporary deals? Not everyone can do both.\

Jesus, this board sucks.

Win/win for Sony. Although not so much for the development team of SS I guess xD

^ This. On a certain level Sony doesn't care if you buy SS. They just want as much money from PSN as possible tomorrow.

Also Sony is obviously hoping lots of customers can buy SS and another 1-2 games. I understand TC needs to pick, but some people can say both.
---
"That was pretty interesting. But dropping a warship on me is cheating... Take it back!" - Xenogears
#14plo617(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 8:51:40 PM
Stasis_Sword posted...
plo617 posted...
I was going to pick up Soul Sacrifice tomorrow, though I was almost tempted to get that Tomb Raider during that flash sale. However, now with all of these insane new sales (I cannot pass up on), I'm going to delay my purchase of Souls Sacrifice.

Do you think that Sony (and I know some of these aren't first party, but a bunch of theme are), is potentially going to hurt there Soul Sacrifice's sales with the timing of these sales?

It's the same principal as the candy bar in the checkout line. They hope you log onto to get SS see the sales and spend $15-$30 more than you planned. Also remember Sony gets a cut no matter what you buy so if you pass up SS for sales, but spend the same amount they're still happy.

Yeah, I understand that they make money either way. I'm just saying that if these sales affect the sales of SS, then it isn't a good thing for the Vita, which by extension isn't a good thing for Sony. I believe the term to describe this scenario is called cannibalization. I've always heard that first few weeks of sales are very important, so it would've been in Sony's best interest to clear some space out so that SS gets maximum sales/profits.

It just seems (and maybe I'm wrong here) counterproductive to the Soul Sacrifice launch.
#15plo617(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 10:12:02 AM
Stasis_Sword posted...
M_dragon159 posted...
AceAndJunpei posted...

Jesus, this board sucks.

^ This. On a certain level Sony doesn't care if you buy SS. They just want as much money from PSN as possible tomorrow.

Also Sony is obviously hoping lots of customers can buy SS and another 1-2 games. I understand TC needs to pick, but some people can say both.

I'm sure that Sony would prefer people to pick up Soul Sacrifice over any game in this deal, due to it being both a Vita exclusive and a new IP. Though profits are important overall, I'm sure expanding their user base is more important. Sometimes big sales create interest more than any review score can.

I'm getting Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and a few of these discounted titles, so it's not like I'm getting just one game. However, those purchases will cause me to delay my purchase of SS.

I know, for a fact, that there are many who do not get games after they have been out for a few weeks, unless there is a discount. This is one of the reasons why most games get the bulk of their sales in the first few weeks. Anything that might cause someone to delay their purchase is more than likely a lost sale, at least at full price.

Since 3rd party devs are influenced by sales, an exclusive game/IP under performing will likely lead to even less exclusive from them. It also could lead to them not supporting the Vita at all. The Vita needs more support, not less. I might be completely wrong though, as I'm no expert on marketing strategy. It just seems like common sense to me.
#16LvthnPosted 4/30/2013 10:20:49 AM
Let's stipulate that SS is a system seller on any level.

If someone is willing and able to buy a Vita and SS, they obviously have some cash in pocket. They also probably will want more than one game. Putting other games on sale = additional sales and a customer who feels he got a great deal on additional games.

If you take the opposite stance that SS is not a system seller then it hardly matters what customers buy so long as they buy.

I might also point out that even for those who already own a Vita, putting a bunch of good stuff out at once is not necessarily a bad idea. There will be impulse purchases, and further it will get players "in the mood" to buy Vita games because they'll be reminded how many of them they want, hence building hype.
#17OximofoPosted 4/30/2013 10:27:35 AM
Lvthn posted...

If someone is willing and able to buy a Vita and SS, they obviously have some cash in pocket. They also probably will want more than one game. Putting other games on sale = additional sales and a customer who feels he got a great deal on additional games.

If you take the opposite stance that SS is not a system seller then it hardly matters what customers buy so long as they buy.

I might also point out that even for those who already own a Vita, putting a bunch of good stuff out at once is not necessarily a bad idea. There will be impulse purchases, and further it will get players "in the mood" to buy Vita games because they'll be reminded how many of them they want, hence building hype.

This is correct Econ point. Unlike the mister spell it with ad homonien Milton Friedman jr.

SS isn't not a system mover it sales are related to install base to buys. Which it's doing very well in Japan and now it seems here.
---
Mr. Ami Suzuki
GT: Oximofo9 PSN: oximofo9
#18stargazer64Posted 4/30/2013 10:32:53 AM
Really, if you're tempted to get a bunch of psp games rather than Soul Sacrifice then clearly you weren't looking forward to it that much.
---
This is superfrog HD! it's in HD dammit! - mike_411
#19plo617(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 10:33:51 AM
Lvthn posted...

I see what you are saying. However being a system seller, while being the pinnacle of a games achievement financially, is not the only one. The game's adoption rate among the the Vita's current user base is also very important.

Also the Vita's smaller user base means that games have to sell at an even higher percentage (when compered to the user base) in order to be profitable. The higher that percentage, the more likely developers are to support the system, which will help expand the userbase with more systems sold.

IMO, the sales of this game matter whether it's a system seller or not. Probably even more if it's not.
#20mike_411Posted 4/30/2013 10:39:52 AM
you'll also notice that a lot of these deals aren't for Vita. Why should Sony hold off on making more money? Do you guys really want them to bank everything on SS? In a healthy market the more options there are, the more profit there is to be had because you appeal to more people. It's simple stuff...
---
Hardcore Naoto fan.
134 people on Gamefaqs Vita board have purchased SS day one apparently. O.o