wtf sony? how come we only have one video format?

#1alexg1989Posted 4/29/2013 8:11:57 PM
while cheap chinese knockoffs like the dingoo a320 and the gemei a330 can play many different video formats?
---
PSN ID: psvitagamer89 ~~ God is fake, isn't it obvious?
Read my blog: http://www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com
#2OtakuD50Posted 4/29/2013 8:14:43 PM
alexg1989 posted...
while cheap chinese knockoffs like the dingoo a320 and the gemei a330 can play many different video formats?

Well there ya go.
---
Natsume (4th): Lv.99 1000 Affection 23:05:36 1038000GP
"Now, gods, stand up for bastards!
#3alexg1989(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 8:17:44 PM
OtakuD50 posted...
alexg1989 posted...

Well there ya go.

I already have a Dingoo A320... I want the Pandora but that baby is too expensive... anyway... my point was that if a cheap knockoff like the DIngoo can do it, why can't a top-class system like the Vita do it??
---
PSN ID: psvitagamer89 ~~ God is fake, isn't it obvious?
Read my blog: http://www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com
#4OtakuD50Posted 4/29/2013 8:31:23 PM
alexg1989 posted...
OtakuD50 posted...
alexg1989 posted...

Well there ya go.

I already have a Dingoo A320... I want the Pandora but that baby is too expensive... anyway... my point was that if a cheap knockoff like the DIngoo can do it, why can't a top-class system like the Vita do it??

Those things are practically built for pirating. Mainstream devices are built to combat pirating. It's as simple as that. It has nothing to do with the Vita being technologically incapable or anything. It would just never be allowed to be that versatile. Officially.
---
Natsume (4th): Lv.99 1000 Affection 23:05:36 1038000GP
"Now, gods, stand up for bastards!
#5NovaCastPosted 4/29/2013 8:43:09 PM
OtakuD50 posted...
alexg1989 posted...
OtakuD50 posted...
alexg1989 posted...

Well there ya go.

Those things are practically built for pirating. Mainstream devices are built to combat pirating. It's as simple as that. It has nothing to do with the Vita being technologically incapable or anything. It would just never be allowed to be that versatile. Officially.

this is accurate, mainstream devices rely on software sales etc.. for a good amount of money. The other devices you mentioned well.... don't because most of the time they have built in emulators among other extra features.
---
#6j2zon2591Posted 4/29/2013 8:43:12 PM
OtakuD50 posted...
alexg1989 posted...
OtakuD50 posted...
alexg1989 posted...

Well there ya go.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Android and iOS have more video format support?

But I guess what you said is part of the reason.. IMO, another reason is for Sony (or another company) to sell a different product that does such by artificially restricting what the VITA does (Sony tablets/pmps/smartphones)..
#7ikaruga0101Posted 4/29/2013 8:48:47 PM
First the Vita supports two video formats: mpeg and h.264. The vita like almost every other big name ARM device out there only supports those two formats by default.

The reason: because they're only supporting the built in hardware decoder, which is power efficient and enables better multi-tasking.
The lack of DRM and alleged patent infringements on open source formats are usually considered "reasons"(more like BS reasons) for not implementing hardware decoders for them.

They could code an app that could play any video format, but it would rely heavily on the CPU and drain your Vita battery just like as if you're playing a game. Android and hacked PSPs (as well as the mentioned Chinese knock offs) have apps capable of playing any video formats using such apps, but those formats just don't play as well as the native ones.

Same thing happens with Apple iDevices. It sucks but it's not really SCE fault, chip manufacturers, patent and copyright system as well the music industry(including Sony Music) are the guilty ones here.
#8Bancario51Posted 4/29/2013 8:59:46 PM
I remember when people.complained PSN3 only played bluray not hddvd
---
What is the meaning of life? A: Nanomachines, son
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#9j2zon2591Posted 4/29/2013 9:00:56 PM
ikaruga0101 posted...
First the Vita supports two video formats: mpeg and h.264. The vita like almost every other big name ARM device out there only supports those two formats by default.

The reason: because they're only supporting the built in hardware decoder, which is power efficient and enables better multi-tasking.
The lack of DRM and alleged patent infringements on open source formats are usually considered "reasons"(more like BS reasons) for not implementing hardware decoders for them.

They could code an app that could play any video format, but it would rely heavily on the CPU and drain your Vita battery just like as if you're playing a game. Android and hacked PSPs (as well as the mentioned Chinese knock offs) have apps capable of playing any video formats using such apps, but those formats just don't play as well as the native ones.

Same thing happens with Apple iDevices. It sucks but it's not really SCE fault, chip manufacturers, patent and copyright system as well the music industry(including Sony Music) are the guilty ones here.
Having an option would be nice though.. even if it consumes battery as much as playing some VITA game.

I still think it's also a decision not to include such features to sell off other Sony products.
#10testicklePosted 4/29/2013 9:18:26 PM
Welcome to the world of DRM. Use a converter if you wanna play non-sony format videos.