wtf sony? how come we only have one video format?

#11lordcloudxPosted 4/29/2013 9:25:19 PM
True that. My china android tablet that costs about as much as two Vita games can play all kinds of video formats no prob with the default video player.
---
Vitassurance: The Webcomic http://www.jaded-perspectives.com/2013/01/vitassurance-webcome-1.html
#12LvthnPosted 4/29/2013 9:37:28 PM
testickle posted...
Welcome to the world of DRM. Use a converter if you wanna play non-sony format videos.

Exactly. Audio/video codecs are not exactly a huge obstacle unless the device only plays a truly inferior format. I converted an entire collection of CDs for use on PS3 (mostly so I could make custom playlists on games that permit them), no issue whatsoever and it takes a few seconds.

Besides, at least they're not being ultra draconian and forcing a rare proprietary format that's practically impossible to convert. They've pretty much left it open to use (even if via conversion) any non-DRM audio/video files. Main thing you cannot use is proprietary formats with DRM, but would you expect that? Companies do that precisely so you can't take your stuff with you to another company's device.
#13AceAndJunpeiPosted 4/29/2013 10:02:51 PM
Bancario51 posted...
I remember when people.complained PSN3 only played bluray not hddvd

That literally never happened.
---
Now Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening (9/10), Bioshock Infinite(9/10)PS3),guacamelee!(Vita) Maintenance (PS3)
#14ikaruga0101Posted 4/29/2013 10:18:10 PM
j2zon2591 posted...
Having an option would be nice though.. even if it consumes battery as much as playing some VITA game.

I totally agree. I haven't see anything yet but I HOPE sony eventually allows better media players using the PSMobile SDK to be distributed. Unfortunately since Apple doesn't allow players with custom codecs on the AppStore, I doubt Sony will on the PSN store.
Eventually with the advent of embedded GPGPU enabled devices(next gen of portables?) the need for hardware decoders will cease to exist. Any movie format will be efficiently playable by writing a good OpenCL/CUDA kernel. Can't wait to hear their excuses when the time comes.

I still think it's also a decision not to include such features to sell off other Sony products.

Well, unfortunatelly my Xperia from last year with Android 4.04 doesn't support it using built in apps. Nor does walkman series, again built in apps. Similarly their PCs also only don't support open source formats without installing 3rd party codecs nor does the PS3(unless you somehow install linux). This is a company policy with DRM/patent BS behind it.

The only device maker that is not a chinese knock of brand I know that supports all file formats from the box are the COWON portable media players.
#15ORANGE666Posted 4/29/2013 10:22:48 PM(edited)
With MP4, the Vita is using a hardware decoder a.k.a the GPU which insures optimization. Using any other format, the Vita would have to software decode which would use significant CPU use and kill the battery quickly and most likely effect the function of the Vita OS with slowdowns. The Video also won't run as good as it would using a hardware decoder.

Phones are also designed for video playback and multitasking much more than they are for gaming. Which is why they can use the GPU to play a lot of formats, but of course with HD MKV's, the GPU will run video's at a crawl, at least it does on my Galaxy Note 2
#16WerzaquePosted 4/29/2013 10:27:23 PM
My phone becomes red hot from playing a full feature movie.

My Vita does not.
---
You are ignoring 167 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#17ThugETHPosted 4/29/2013 11:03:00 PM
If there is one thing I wish Vita had it's .avi support. I have 6TB of avi files luckily my SGSIII plays every file under the sun.
The Vita only supports mp4 and h264 due to licensing issues. They don't want to pay up.
---
[1:04pm] <R33P3R> how can a game be epic on a phone?
#18j2zon2591Posted 4/29/2013 11:07:34 PM
ikaruga0101 posted...
j2zon2591 posted...
Having an option would be nice though.. even if it consumes battery as much as playing some VITA game.

I totally agree. I haven't see anything yet but I HOPE sony eventually allows better media players using the PSMobile SDK to be distributed. Unfortunately since Apple doesn't allow players with custom codecs on the AppStore, I doubt Sony will on the PSN store.
Eventually with the advent of embedded GPGPU enabled devices(next gen of portables?) the need for hardware decoders will cease to exist. Any movie format will be efficiently playable by writing a good OpenCL/CUDA kernel. Can't wait to hear their excuses when the time comes.

I still think it's also a decision not to include such features to sell off other Sony products.

Well, unfortunatelly my Xperia from last year with Android 4.04 doesn't support it using built in apps. Nor does walkman series, again built in apps. Similarly their PCs also only don't support open source formats without installing 3rd party codecs nor does the PS3(unless you somehow install linux). This is a company policy with DRM/patent BS behind it.

The only device maker that is not a chinese knock of brand I know that supports all file formats from the box are the COWON portable media players.

I see.. They still "sell" you other Sony products to access such apps.

It would be sexy is Sony/3rd party made such apps for the VITA.. and now I dive into thoughts of the VITA to potentially have the software viability (potential) to somewhat replace or compete well with pmps/phablets..

I'd seriously pay 50 bucks for a better/dedicated VITA browser (lvl 1 app? can't multi task much/game.. full html 5 video support/ no auto-refresh/tabs better/copy-paste/etc..).. Even a Chrome Browser "quality" on an iPad 4 (occasionally crashes) would still be fine with me xD

xD

Sorry.. I really had to get that out my head :)

I don't mean any offense. Peace!
#19jmtstanPosted 4/29/2013 11:19:20 PM
running HD mkv was lag like hell on Galaxy S, but surprisingly Note (N7000) was able to play HD MKV without lag. on Note 10.1 it can even display some softsub embedded on MKV.
---
New Vita owner!!!
PSN: jmtstan1138
#20SchwarzseherPosted 4/29/2013 11:44:13 PM(edited)
Um...you're talking about videos right?
I dunno about you but my european Vita can play MP4 perfectly. Got my favorite episodes of one show on my small memory card.