Which of the following games should I play first on the Vita?

#21Fiery101(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 10:34:18 PM
So, I just bought the Vita and the game I ended up buying first is..

Thomas was alone. The store I went to didn't have Gravity Rush or P4 anyway, so those were somewhat out the window. I realize I could download them, but I think I'd rather own copies of at least a few games.

The other reason I started with that game is because I know it is short and I just want to familiarize myself with the feel of the system. I've only played it for a few hours now, but I think I made a very good investment. I was actually kind of blown away with how good everything looks on this thing. Considering my last handheld was Gameboy Advance, let me just say things have moved forward...a ton. Anyway, thanks for the input.
#22GuitaristMattPosted 5/2/2013 10:39:46 PM
Try the GR demo.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/cheesystuff.png
i5-3250 GT640m 2GB DDR3 4GB HDD 500GB
#23LvthnPosted 5/2/2013 10:47:33 PM
I played the original TO extensively and it's also one of my favorite games of all time.

The remake is ok, it is easier but has a ton of new content. The "easy" part mostly comes in from the fact that it now permits you to rewind. If you disregard this, it's not that much easier than the original (although the AI is oddly less aggressive). If TO is one of your favorite games then by all means play the remake, if nothing else for the pretty solid bonus content (a hundred hours worth or more, in fact).

I might also suggest getting PS+. Two of the games you mention are free on there, so for $6/mo you really can't beat that. Uncharted is a decent game that showcases the Vita's capabilities and if nothing else will get you thinking about how powerful this system really is, but it's much more worth the PS+ free than paying retail for it.

Since you seem to have similar tastes to me, I'd recommend:

1. Go ahead and buy TO, be aware of the faults but enjoy it for what it is.
2. Get a PS+ membership for the good selection of free games. Sadly if you'd gotten it a few days ago you could have gotten Disgaea 3 for free as well, which is a truly excellent game.
3. Consider some other fairly inexpensive PSP games. I'd suggest Jeanne d'Arc (another great SRPG, but you can only get it on Vita by downloading to PS3 and transferring), and Castlevania DXC for being 3 games in one.
4. Checked out Soul Sacrifice and Persona 4? Both are considered premiere Vita games.
#24GenocideHeartPosted 5/3/2013 11:04:33 AM
Lvthn posted...
1. Go ahead and buy TO, be aware of the faults but enjoy it for what it is.
2. Get a PS+ membership for the good selection of free games. Sadly if you'd gotten it a few days ago you could have gotten Disgaea 3 for free as well, which is a truly excellent game.
3. Consider some other fairly inexpensive PSP games. I'd suggest Jeanne d'Arc (another great SRPG, but you can only get it on Vita by downloading to PS3 and transferring), and Castlevania DXC for being 3 games in one.
4. Checked out Soul Sacrifice and Persona 4? Both are considered premiere Vita games.

Well he has Persona 4 in his poll so yeah, I'd say he checked it out.

As far as good games on Vita go (whether they be PSOne classics, PSP games or PSVita games proper), I recommend, in misc order:

-Atelier Totori Plus
-Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
-Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
-Dragon Fantasy Book I
-Little Deviants
-Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
-Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
-Silent Hill: Book of Memories
-Uncharted: Golden Abyss
-Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
-Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos
-Armored Core: Last Raven
-Blazing Souls Accelate
-Bomberman '94
-Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (includes Symphony of the Night as an unlockable, so don't bother buying SotN for PSOne if you get DXC)
-Cho Aniki Zero (be warned, it's demented and fairly disturbing with all the borderline homoerotic undertones)
-Cladun
-Class of Heroes
-Dead Head Fred
-Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days
-Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground
-Elminage Original (get the patch too, it fixes the issues with the translation)
-Gods Eater Burst (best Monster Hunter clone out there - Soul Sacrifice plays differently)
-Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
-Half Minute Hero
-Hexyz Force (kinda easy, but five different endings and two full quests)
-Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble (hilarious fighting game)
-Magician Lord (even if you never play another SNK classic, you should play this and Shock Troopers)
-Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
-Metal Slug Anthology
-Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
-Neo Geo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting
-Neutopia
-New Adventure Island
-Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle
-Ragnarok Tactics
-Shin Megami Tensei Persona (all of them: P1, P2 Innocent Sin, P2 Eternal Punishment for PSOne, P3 Portable)
-Strikers 1945 Plus (only 5 bux, small file, fun shooter)
-Tokobot
-Unchained Blades
-Undead Knights
-Valhalla Knights 2 (this is personal preference, many hate it)
-Warriors Orochi 1 and 2 (the latter is best)
-Wild Arms XF
-all Ys games (Seven, 1+2, Oath)
-ZHP Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman
-Alundra
-Breath of Fire IV
-Final Fantasy IX
-Final Fantasy Tactics (I personally dislike the remakes, especially the retranslation - the original typo filled one had its charm)
-Front Mission 3 (warning: this game will take 40 solid hours to beat just one scenario, and there's two of them)
-Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
-Mobile Light Force
-both Oddoworld games (Oddysee and Exoddus)
-Parasite Eve 1 and 2 (you may notice I only list Square games from before they started sucking...)
-Tomba!
-Twisted Metal 2
-Vanguard Bandits

If you have a PS3, you can also transfer these games to Vita from it and they'll work even though they aren't "OFFICIALLY" compatible:

-Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
-Capcom Classics Collection remixed
-Gradius Collection
-Jeanne d'Arc (the poster above me forgot to mention you need to transfer it)
-Sega Genesis Collection (the three Phantasy Star games alone are worth the $20)
-Valkyria Chronicles 2
-Castlevania Chronicles
-Suikoden

...that's a pretty huge list lol.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#25LvthnPosted 5/3/2013 3:41:36 PM
GenocideHeart posted...

Actually mentioned it explicitly.
#26GenocideHeartPosted 5/3/2013 4:57:00 PM
Lvthn posted...
GenocideHeart posted...

Actually mentioned it explicitly.

NM, then, that's what I get for posting while half asleep. Sorry about that.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#27LvthnPosted 5/3/2013 4:59:53 PM
Good list btw, it's always good to point out that the Vita is definitely not lacking in good or excellent content.
#28IlluminoiusPosted 5/3/2013 5:15:39 PM
grabs