You know with the vita software that was only released in japan and for my...

#1jenraisPosted 5/2/2013 6:30:02 PM
Self benefit i've decided to learn enough japanese to read and understand enough to play japanese games.

I remember a post that had books and resources that would help you to do that but I can't really remember.

Anyone know the best material to to what im hoping to accomplish?
#2DruidMettoolPosted 5/2/2013 6:39:55 PM
I'm sorry, but learning Japanese just to watch anime and play games is probably the worst reason to learn the language.
#3Bikes-Posted 5/2/2013 6:43:14 PM
DruidMettool posted...
I'm sorry, but learning Japanese just to watch anime and play games is probably the worst reason to learn the language.

Learning a valuable skill for any reason is worth it, and it's not like you'd get much use out of it on a daily basis otherwise (unless he plans to move to Japan) He also never mentioned anime.

Anyway to the original question, I don't really know, there's probably books you can buy to get started. Although the first step is memorizing Hiragana and Katakana (which you can get charts of off the net easily)
#4bigboyrfPosted 5/2/2013 8:04:17 PM
I'm learning it myself right. I haven't really been using a textbook as I find alot of free websites do the job however if you ever find a good workbook let me know.

And your number one step should be to learn hiragana and katakana. And once you know them be sure to keep relearning them and practicing so you can easily identify each. From here I recommend learning kanji and grammer. For grammer I use tae Kim's guide to japanese. It's pretty good and free.

I learned alot in last 3 months but no where near the amount I wanted since I have to balance college and football. Btw If you really want to learn try to fully immerse yourself. Like listen to music and try to read children books once you can. I know you only want to read but speaking and listening skills will fully refine and help your learning.

As for your reasons I have no opinion as its your choice and as long as you feel it's justified then its worth it for you. If you ever want a buddy to help learn or talk with in japanese hit me up on psn:bigboyrf94 or pm me.
---
"I'm killing the three headed dog."
#5lordcloudxPosted 5/2/2013 8:31:01 PM
There's a firefox plugin called rikaichan that you might find useful for reading kanji on web pages.
---
Vitassurance: The Webcomic http://www.jaded-perspectives.com/2013/01/vitassurance-webcome-1.html
#6GuitaristMattPosted 5/2/2013 8:32:52 PM
lordcloudx posted...
There's a firefox plugin called rikaichan that you might find useful for reading kanji on web pages.

Whooop downloading now. Thank you sir.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/cheesystuff.png
i5-3250 GT640m 2GB DDR3 4GB HDD 500GB
#7GrandCollapsePosted 5/2/2013 8:33:35 PM
DruidMettool posted...

I won't totally agree with you, but for me it's not a good reason either to learn Japanese.
Just my opinion, people may disagree with it, but I don't see much value on learning just for that.
---
Disgaea D2!
#8TinyTim123Posted 5/2/2013 8:43:37 PM
<shrug> I knew enough as a kid for that. Navy dad, stationed in Okinawa, Super Famicom instead of a SNES and MegaDrive instead of Genesis and all that.
Since I haven't been back since '01 I have forgotten sooooo much, I feel sad.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#9Evil_GogetaPosted 5/2/2013 8:50:33 PM
Hiragana and Katakana script sheet,
Manga in Japanese designed for all ages (Jump being the best, for the Kanji),
A favourite western movie/series with Japanese subtitles avaliable,
Primary/Elementary Kanji books (for the Kanji).

If you have the above you can learn to read Japanese, to learn how to speak is a different kettle of rabid horses.

Watch a favourite series that you know like the back of your nose with Japanese dub on (although this is a bit annoying personally),
Watch Japanese TV shows with English subs and without English subs.

All of this requires you not to be in Japan as being in Japan it would be easier to learn and communicate being surrounded in it.
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (Vita) PSO2 and Time Travellers. (PC) Monster Hunter Frontier
#10NeojianXPosted 5/3/2013 10:56:53 AM
No , I'll just pass on them. These type topics are made in hopes of selling those non translated JP only PSP games up at the NA PSN store to tease hell out of you. It seems evil IMO. Beside, most of the Asian Gamers I know are Chinese and Korean. What I might learn. : )
---
James Bond 007 in Never Say Never Heineken AND You Only Live Miller High Life .... Twice. : )