The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Given how sony handled the PSP and the Vita, will YOU buy another SONY handheld?

#1VerySolidusSnakPosted 5/4/2013 10:18:39 AM
SHORT VERSION:

I don't think I would. Probably not at the moment it launches, but I would wait a couple of years. Given SONY even decides to go back in this business. But it's sort of a catch 22 because if you don't buy a console at launch it will be deemed a failure by Sony and the support may falter, but if you do buy at launch you would be bored for a couple of months due to the lack of variety of games you like to play.

LONG POST BELOW!

I loved the PSP, it was my favorite system. However, I couldn't just play first party games which I liked the most and a handful of 3rd party games like Metal Gear, Crisis Core, etc.

The Vita is great too. Given how it's really too soon to judge, it's hard to have a spot-on prediction. BUT, Sony seems to be doing the mistake again of putting way more focus on their consoles. Like how they announced that all of their first party is working on the ps4. That doesn't mean that there's other teams working on Vita, but why not say that too? Then, there's the tiring argument of the memory card prices, but it's true.

SONY makes great lookng and powerful handhelds, yet they don't really support them as much as they support their consoles. IF they don't want to get their studios to work on Vita games because they don't feel like a portable Infamous or any other of their franchises could sell well on Vita, why make a portable then and give people false hope?

See how quickly they are supporting PS4 and how many studios are CONFIRMED to work on PS4 games? Why can't Vita share that love. I don't see value in selling my Vita since I already took the plunge and there are a handful of retail games that I want to play still, but SONY tends to overshadow their handhelds with their consoles.

In terms of handhelds, I would stick to the next gen Nintendo handheld first since Nintendo knows how to bring back momentum and seem to care about having our money NOW. They know how to equally support handhelds and consoles equally.

But, one thing I learned from both companies is not to buy hardware at launch right away. But the difference is one knows of a comback, the other doesn't.
#2OtakuGameraPosted 5/4/2013 10:19:23 AM
tldr

short answer, yes.
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/66080697
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#3halfelven23Posted 5/4/2013 10:19:51 AM
psp is awesome, and still is
---
PSN ID: Gogunners23
#4LinkMaster2703Posted 5/4/2013 10:21:26 AM
Probably not. I was really disappointed with my PSP and I am beyond disappointed with the Vita. I don't know how you can screw up something like the Vita as bad as Sony has, but they pretty much managed to do everything they possibly could to let it fail.
#5XylymphydytePosted 5/4/2013 10:24:14 AM
The PS2, PSP, PS3 and Vita have all followed roughly the same sales and support curve to this point. We can't really make a determination yet.

However, the Vita HAS done the worst of the lot at this point. If I had to make a guess I'd say the players are waiting for the redesign so they can skip the crap initial version that doesn't have the fancy new features and such. As to whether that will happen is yet to be seen.

Third party was what drove the PSP though, and it's still exceptionally weak outside of Japan. So it's hard to say at this point.

I probably would though, there's always at least one game on a given platform that makes it worthwhile.
#6SmoshCuchPosted 5/4/2013 10:30:21 AM
yup
#7ITPPosted 5/4/2013 10:37:04 AM
I'm extremely pleased with my Vita, and was pleased with my PSP, so a definite yes.
#8CSplitterPosted 5/4/2013 10:39:20 AM
A PSP-like handheld? Hell yes.

A Vita-like handheld? We'll see.
---
TakayaNoriko: Back in my day, we pressed buttons that didn't do anything because we thought it would give us special power-ups. And that's the way we liked it!
#9Draconas_LyrrPosted 5/4/2013 10:41:35 AM
I liked my PSP, I love my Vita..next Sony handheld = marriage?

Seriously though, I probably would. I use my Vita a lot more than I ever used my PSP.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
I'll never look at an apple the same way again..
#10foxgamer92Posted 5/4/2013 10:55:13 AM
Yes. Sony handhelds always have a lot of games that I love.
---
Asagi needs her own game on the Vita. If you see me in SS, don't hesitate to sacrifice me as soon as you can<3
PSN: Setsuna1292.