Given how sony handled the PSP and the Vita, will YOU buy another SONY handheld?

#131totemguyPosted 5/5/2013 11:48:06 AM
I forgot to to answer the TC, yes I would get another handheld but just not at launch. This was the second time I've bought a launch system, the first being the fat ds, and I was one ove it's victims of the broken hinge. I'm not doing the next gen for home consoles, so handhelds would be where it's at for me. Been gaming since the collecovision days, and have all my systems still, my kids love my Sega Nomad.
---
"For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen. " HGTG
PSN= Totemguy, XBL= totemguy
#132pipitugaPosted 5/5/2013 11:50:24 AM
I know I'd wait this time till there are more games out just like I did with the PSP.
---
The test of tolerance comes when we are in a majority, The test of courage comes when we are in a minority.
PSN: Curapica-San / GT: Curapica
#133SabramPosted 5/9/2013 1:16:37 AM
WiiFan77 posted...
Sabram posted...
Sorry for double post, but i hate the price comparison. If you want something enough you can find ways to get it. I have bought 2 vitas, 3 32GB memory cards, 8 physical games, about 22 downloaded games, and I only make $11/hr working full time. I have bills to pay and food to buy just like everyone else does.

Sometimes it just takes a bit of saving or planning, but you can always make it work.

You didn't even deny that the 3DS plus its XL upgrade were cheaper. Were you even trying to argue?

What argument? They are cheaper. They're also cheaper hardware wise.

The 3DS launched at a $250 price point, and hardly anyone was buying it, and since the sales were so low, hardly any games were made for it. Then lo and behold, Sony announces the PSV at a starting price of $250. We all know that if the 3DS had stayed at the same price, Vita would have destroyed it in sales. So Nintendo panics and slashes the price of the 3DS by a third. So now people buy the 3DS because the price for it is reasonable.

Problem is, the Vita was VERY reasonably priced at $250, and didnt require a price cut. Stupid people however, thought that "They're both handhelds, so why is the Vita so expensive? Well, the 3DS price got lowered fast, so I'll wait for the Vita price to lower too"

So there's the people who expected the Vita price to drop as fast as the 3DS. They're the ones really hurting the sales. They dont recognize that the hardware and features of the Vita actually are worth $250. I will agree the memory cards are a bit overpriced, but you can thank hackers and pirates of the PSP for that. Sony did the logical thing and made the Vita hard to hack from the memory standpoint, which they didnt on the PSP and a lot of the hackers used that to get into the system.

It's been shown that when the Vita drops a bit in price globally, many more people will pick up the system. I mean, they basically did a test study in Japan with that idea already and it went really well. So now more games are coming out in Japan, but not other areas. The reason why is the same as before, people are waiting to buy it until after the price drops. Before it was Nintendo who caused it, now Sony themselves after dropping it in one territory but not the other.

Bottom Line: Vita is worth buying with or without price drops. You have to make it worth it to yourself. The games are fun (those i've played) The apps are good, and overall it is a very solid system.
---
Official Switch Lightsword & Bowshieldgun of the MH3U Board.
Gamertag: Sabram PSN: Sabram
#134Shadowfxd2Posted 5/9/2013 1:23:20 AM
dolorsitamet posted...
I definitely will. my vita is awesome

another thing is I dont want to play another moustached-plumber-doing-something. like golf tennis, olympics, etc. world cup next year?

Because Sony characters are not stale.. *looks at Kratos*
---
http://i.imgur.com/NbGmq.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/ARXXY.jpg
Equals: http://i.imgur.com/ZpBae.jpg, Hmmm: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29629070.jpg
#135Numbuh100Posted 5/9/2013 2:18:06 AM
Lord_Vishana posted...
dolorsitamet posted...
I definitely will. my vita is awesome

another thing is I dont want to play another moustached-plumber-doing-something. like golf tennis, olympics, etc. world cup next year?

Because Mario games are the ONLY games that exist on the 3DS, right?

But once Nintendo unleash Pokemon, Vita will trail behind more.
---
Waiting for: Pokemon X and Y, Project X Zone
BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD!
#136skyrimer3dPosted 5/9/2013 2:29:10 AM
Of course! I haven't played a portable this much since the original Gameboy, when cute girls asked you for it to play a game of Tetris, those were the days lol
#137darkstar4221Posted 5/9/2013 3:02:57 AM(edited)
Sabram posted...
Problem is, the Vita was VERY reasonably priced at $250, and didnt require a price cut. Stupid people however, thought that "They're both handhelds, so why is the Vita so expensive? Well, the 3DS price got lowered fast, so I'll wait for the Vita price to lower too"

So there's the people who expected the Vita price to drop as fast as the 3DS. They're the ones really hurting the sales. They dont recognize that the hardware and features of the Vita actually are worth $250. I will agree the memory cards are a bit overpriced, but you can thank hackers and pirates of the PSP for that. Sony did the logical thing and made the Vita hard to hack from the memory standpoint, which they didnt on the PSP and a lot of the hackers used that to get into the system..

lol you are a sheep, it's $250 with no internal memory, no game, or memory card included. Sure you had that $250 bundle with a game and memory card included, but those are becoming more harder to find, and in many sites (like Amazon) the bundles cost way more than $250.

Also PSP backwards compatibility is very poor given the price you pay for the Vita. The 3DS is fully backwards compatible with DS games, heck the R4i carts are cheaper than 3DS games. The Vita? You have to buy the overpriced proprietary memory cards to play PSP games, other restrictions like the mandatory kernel updates (which prevents any hacking) and CMA not only inflates the cost of the Vita, but it restricts what the user can do with their handheld. Hacking is just a part of life, it's impossible to prevent it and there is practically nothing wrong with it. The government likes to call this copyright infringement and make it illegal. The PSP would have never sold over 71 million units worldwide if it was fully hacked and modded. Blaming piracy on the PSP for Sony inflating the cost of Vita is ridiculous.

Vita is selling poorly mainly because of two reasons.

1. The economic crisis, and given how poor hardware sales are, that is just proof of that. Even when the 3DS was $250, it wasn't selling as poorly as the Vita.

2. It's very expensive for a handheld gaming device which I just explained, combined with the economic crisis, that is a recipe for low sales.

Unless the Vita is fully hacked that can curb prices down, or if Sony drastically lower prices (which they never will do), the Vita will always sell poorly month after month.

EDIT: Calling the memory cards a bit overpriced is an understatement, those cards are ridiculously overpriced. Oh but the sheep well say PSP memory cards were just as expensive, but they seem to forget that there were SD adapters for the PSP a year after the PSP was released, see how important hacking and modding is?
#138Shadow-AngelPosted 5/9/2013 5:02:29 AM(edited)
No. I was less than satisfied with the PSP, and the Vita as of right now, is walking down the same path. I won't make the same mistake a third time.
---
The power you seek lies within you.
#139Lazy JonesPosted 5/9/2013 6:36:21 AM
Probably...
---
This is gonna sound weird, but for a second, I think you took on the shape of a unicorn
PSN:drpokerface
#140DemonDog666Posted 5/9/2013 7:37:16 AM
hurley4 posted...
I don't understand how handhelds sell in the first place. Anyone 25+ with a job shouldn't have time to use a handheld outside of time at home, in which consoles should rein.

Oh really?
1.Take bus to work
2. Have to take your kids/significant other somewhere and rather wait in the car and play then waste time/gas driving home and driving back
3. Vacation
4. Long car trips where you aren't driving
5. Airplane (some jobs entail alot of this)
6. Kids/spouse on tv/console (I realize this isn't technically outside the house)