new game from Sony Japan Studio, Panopticon (80% sure it's for vita)

#81ManjiMidouPosted 5/16/2013 4:20:45 PM
l'm hyped!
---
656Stooge: "
But he's Australian. Like me. Not everyone is American you know. Only the unlucky ones :)"
#82liammiller18Posted 5/16/2013 5:06:33 PM
Concerning the TV commercial pushing Vitas via Hunting games, I think it does point towards Panopticon being a hunting game and on Vita.

The video in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnvctJeydiI

One of the first things to establish is that Panopticon is highly likely a hunting game. The large number of nondescript "main characters" points towards the idea of character customization, maybe with a key cast a la God Eater, but the fact that none of the characters really stand out from each other too much makes me inclined to say it's not a JRPG at very least. Secondly, the combat against the dragon(bear with the name, haha) was clearly focused around a group taking it down. This isn't accidental, trailers for games are made so players can understand the emotions and core concepts that the developer wants to get across.

The second point of "evidence" is kind of conspiracy theory-esque. It relates to Sony's advertising and treatment of the Vita. Sony ran an advertisement around the time of the Japanese price drop (forgive me, I can't for the life of me find it) which was a literal rundown of all the upcoming Hunting games. It was very clear at the time that they understood how crucial Hunting games are for their console's success. Fast forward to today, we have a new commercial and webpage for this ad campaign, which once more, is completely focused on Hunting games (http://www.jp.playstation.com/cp/2013_psvita_kyoutou/teaser/index.html). At 0:12, we can clearly see a list of Hunting games on the chalkboard:

Phantasy Star Online 2
Soul Sacrifice
Toukiden
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
God Eater 2
〇〇〇〇〇〇〇〇〇

That last one is obviously out of place, but clearly put there for a reason. The characters used aren't letter "o"s or zeroes, they're colloquially referred to as "marumaru" (lit: circle circle). Marumarus are typically used as a form of placeholder or censor in Japanese, which literally means there was something intended to be hidden at the end of that list. Is it Panopticon? We'll have to wait until May 21st to find out, but frankly, that's where I'm placing my bet.

Also, as a total side note, poor Lord of Apocalypse getting left out of the Hunting game lineup. Granted, it's over a year old, but still. ;___;
---
Bacon, RPG elements and cute girls, what more could you want?
#83KouliPosted 5/16/2013 5:13:01 PM
>>That last one is obviously out of place, but clearly put there for a reason. The characters used aren't letter "o"s or zeroes, they're colloquially referred to as "marumaru" (lit: circle circle). Marumarus are typically used as a form of placeholder or censor in Japanese, which literally means there was something intended to be hidden at the end of that list.

Count the number of zeroes, exactly 9, Freedom Wars in katakana fit in that perfectly, plus SCEJ actually registered that trademark in Japan.

Panopticon wasn't registered in Japan nor it fits in that 9 spots. The only other one that fits in that spot is Monster Hunter in katakana, but that's not it.
---
Next: SMT4
www.youtube.com/Kouli30
#84Draconas_LyrrPosted 5/16/2013 5:20:20 PM
Hate the graphics style, but I'd give it a shot.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
I'll never look at an apple the same way again..
#85Kazuhira07Posted 5/16/2013 6:00:37 PM
Looks huge potential, Vita or not.
---
PSN: Kazuhira07
Currently playing: Soul Sacrifice; Xenogears
#86neogenoPosted 5/16/2013 7:03:07 PM
liammiller18 posted...
Concerning the TV commercial pushing Vitas via Hunting games, I think it does point towards Panopticon being a hunting game and on Vita.

The video in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnvctJeydiI

One of the first things to establish is that Panopticon is highly likely a hunting game. The large number of nondescript "main characters" points towards the idea of character customization, maybe with a key cast a la God Eater, but the fact that none of the characters really stand out from each other too much makes me inclined to say it's not a JRPG at very least. Secondly, the combat against the dragon(bear with the name, haha) was clearly focused around a group taking it down. This isn't accidental, trailers for games are made so players can understand the emotions and core concepts that the developer wants to get across.

Thats exactly what I noticed too. Usually if it was a JRPG it would put a much stronger focus on individual characters. The trailer focused on the guy with the headphones mostly but he could also just represent the default MC that people will create and customize. Also the complete lack of spoken dialogue alludes to that "silent protagonist" thats in many create a character games. It was also key that "teamwork" was being shown when it came time to fight the dragon thing.

There was also the fact that everyone had the same type of gear (Titans scabbard thing and vine whip thing). So they could be some type of "organization" like the guild in MH or Fenrir in God Eater.

Everything just points to it being a hunting game. Still, I want to see more.

Also, thanks for the chalkboard translation, I was wondering what those 0's meant.
---
Early to rise and early to bed, makes a man healthy but socially dead.
#87_HlM_Posted 5/16/2013 7:29:35 PM
I hope this is for Vita. Soul Sacrifice is the only game out of 3 Vita games I own that I like (Got PSmash and ACIII:L for free, from White Vita Amazon bundle.)
---
Why don't you go take a jog? Better yet, go kick some rocks.
Let me guess you have a blog, follow trends like it's your job.
#88Lord_VishanaPosted 5/16/2013 7:38:16 PM
Wowie, this looks absolutely amazing! I love the aesthetic design and the numbers are reminiscent of Death Note. I really hope this is a Vita exclusive.

*fingers crossed*
---
http://i.imgur.com/ObX7FXv.png STRANGER DANGER ~~ Hillary Clinton/Elizabeth Warren 2016 ~~ 3DS FC: 3394-3716-0128 Vita PSN: Queen_Sialeeds
#89Wing0cPosted 5/16/2013 9:30:05 PM
Thanks for info.
#90OtakuGamera(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 10:43:57 PM
as much as i would love for it to be a JRPG, i think it's a monster hunting game as well..
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/66080697
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg