Planning to buy ps vita, how to transfer save file from pc to ps vita?

#1easytoremember8Posted 5/25/2013 10:11:00 PM(edited)
So I want to buy a ps vita for ff9 and ff10 remastered.

Couple of topics about how hard jump rope is on the ps vita (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197338-final-fantasy-ix/64185318)

Is it really that convoluted to transfer a save file onto the vita? Any chance I can do it straight from my pc to the vita?

edit: one more issue...does this work for the ps vita? I read some issues about psone classics not working on the vita. Can I dl this straight onto vita or will I have to use psp or something?

Thanks for any help. I really want to get back into these games while I'm traveling for work.
---
"No amount of creativity is gonna get a Probe past a wall-in or an Observer past a Turret." ~ EGHuK
Masters Protoss
#2AtomrabbitPosted 5/25/2013 10:33:48 PM
1. You should be able to copy PS1 saves to PS Vita by putting the save in the folder that CMA (Content Management Assistant) looks for PSP/PS1 data on the PC. It should show up in the CMA when you launch it on the PS Vita and select 'copy from pc to vita'. I'm not sure if PS Vita game saves (like that for FFX) are locked to accounts.

2. I think most PS1 games (on the PSN) are available as downloads directly through the Vita. I think some may not be available, and the availability varies by region too.
#3vincient_FFVIIPosted 5/25/2013 10:34:25 PM
umm its not hard to transfer files. ive only done psp and vita files but its all done on the vita via the content manager. you just plug in your vita and install it on your computer you don't need anything extra if the save is yours. I really don't know about downloaded saves. I backup my psp saves on my computer if I delete them. then if I wanna play it I just transfer it all back
---
if its not my character... i dont care :)
#4easytoremember8(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2013 8:00:09 AM
can anyone confirm I can use those saves available online here for the Vita?
---
"No amount of creativity is gonna get a Probe past a wall-in or an Observer past a Turret." ~ EGHuK
Masters Protoss
#5AtomrabbitPosted 5/26/2013 8:55:26 AM
I just tried using someone else's save data for Wild Arms (not FF, but a PS1 game). It gave me an error when I tried to launch the game. I've been able to transfer my own save files to Vita from my computer, but it seems that using other people's saves gives an error.

There could be other factors here though, such as the save being made on a ps3 with a firmware before the Vita connectivity was added.

So yeah, it seems for me at least, personal saves work but downloaded ones don't.
#6AtomrabbitPosted 5/26/2013 9:20:32 AM
UPDATE: Tried copying the wild arms saves again and it worked =S.

Probably just a glitch, or improper copying before. You should be good to go.
#7easytoremember8(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2013 9:26:30 AM
thanks! really good to hear.
---
Masters Protoss
#8AtomrabbitPosted 5/26/2013 9:27:18 AM
One more thing, that save file is in a PS3 virtual memory card format, so it won't work with the Vita as-is.

Gimme a couple minutes and I'll see if I can convert it for you.
#9easytoremember8(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2013 9:38:41 AM
oh thanks! howd you know it's in ps3format? although im guessing I could find some saves in the ps1section? I'm confused though. these aren't cross platform compatible even though it's the Same company?
or just ps3 saves won't work on Vita.. but ps1 or PSP saves will?
---
Masters Protoss
#10AtomrabbitPosted 5/26/2013 10:20:55 AM
easytoremember8 posted...
oh thanks! howd you know it's in ps3format? although im guessing I could find some saves in the ps1section? I'm confused though. these aren't cross platform compatible even though it's the Same company?
or just ps3 saves won't work on Vita.. but ps1 or PSP saves will?

When you play a PS1 classic on the PS3, it creates save data in a virtual memory card, with the file extension .psv.

If I connect a Vita to a PS3, I can explore the save files on the virtual memory card, and copy them to the virtual memory cards on my PS Vita. However, it seems I'll need a copy of FF9 to have FF9 virtual memory cards on my PS Vita.

The procedure would be, to adapt that save file:

1. Install FF9 on the PS Vita system
2. Play FF9 on the PS3 to generate the PS Vita virtual memory cards.
3. Connect the PS Vita to the PS3, which has had the .psv copied to it.
4. Copy the save file from the PS3 virtual memory card to the PS Vita.
5. Copy the FF9 save file from the PS Vita to the PC, and locate the save file.

See, when you copy a PS1 save file from the Vita to the PC, the save is stored in a folder, which contains two memory card images, called SCEVMC0.VMP and SCEVMC1.VMP (two slots for memory cards). The content of these images only seems to be editable from a PS3.

While I may be able to copy that FF9 save file from my PS3 to, say, a Wild Arms memory card image, and then you may be able to put that image in the folder which contains the FF9 save file you created and transferred to your PC, I'm not sure if the image would be recognized by the game.

A procedure which should work would be:
1. Find someone online with a PS3 and Vita and FF9 as a PS1 classic.
2. Ask them to copy the save file to their PS3, and then to their Vita FF9 virtual memory card.
3. Ask them to copy the save data for FF9 from their Vita to their PC, and have them give you the save data folder. (which should contain both mem card images, an icon and a param.sfo)
4. You would then be able to copy that folder across to your vita, provided you place it in the directory that the CMA searches for PS1 data.

So yeah, it's a very cumbersome procedure.

If you have the game, this might work (I'm not 100% sure):

Here is my Wild Arms VMC with the FF9 data on it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14749891/SCEVMC1.VMP

If you have FF9 and have played it on the Vita, then if you use CMA you can transfer the save file from the Vita to the PC (applications -> savedata).

Locate the folder created on the PC, and paste in that VMC to overwrite memory card 2. Then using CMA, copy the data back from the PC to the Vita. Then start the game. You can use the memory card utility from within the game to delete the wild arms save files.