Is it worth it to pick up a Vita nowadays? Is it really a 'dead' system?

#1thebatdaddPosted 6/23/2013 7:55:01 PM
Let me start off by saying no fanboys please. I just want honest opinions and advice.

I'm trying to decide between a 3DS and a Vita, and am really on the fence about it. I keep looking around online for other topics about it and seeing that 3DS is generally the more favorable system, due to it having more quality games and that the Vita is pretty much 'dead'. Honestly, I don't understand this argument. I've been looking up youtube videos of top Vita games and the top 3DS games for the past few days, and honestly, the Vita looks great and like it would be more enjoyable for me and my preferences (but then again, I don't have any other systems right now and I've never owned a PS3 or 360, so even if many of the Vita games are ports or similar to PS3 games, it doesn't matter for me).

I also like what I'm seeing from the whole indie games thing they're trying to do for the Vita. Just to name a few, Guacamelee, Thomas was Alone, Lone Survivor, Hotline Miami, Limbo...I like the quirky visuals and uniqueness of these games more than, say, the visuals and gameplay videos of Luigi's Mansion dark moon or Animal Crossing.

I really am leaning towards the Vita, but my main concern is that many people are saying the system is dead and recommending the 3DS over it, it almost makes me feel like I'm missing something that others are seeing. I don't want to get a Vita and have it be a paper weight in a couple months. What do you guys think of the state of the system? From the gameplay videos I've seen, I like the indie games of the Vita more than tiles like Uncharted or Killzone. Do you think there are a lot more indie games for the system on the way?

Thanks
#2Spiffy247Posted 6/23/2013 8:01:10 PM
I would have to say you can't go wrong with either one. Both are great systems with great games, and have good games on the horizon. I suggest you do your research, and go with the one you think fits better. As you have no PS3, I'd lean towards the Vita. As I said, you should be happy with either one, though.
---
I'm clever, vaguely feminine, a vampire, and I wield Dice. PH33R.
The 3DS and PSVita are both outstanding systems. Wally the Equality Weasel says so.
#3stargazer64Posted 6/23/2013 8:01:46 PM
Of course it's worth it to pick one up. It just so happens that some of these indie games appeal to you, and not so much to other people who are either unhappy with Vita's lineup or just hating on it for attention.
---
Official Vita board troll list: mike_411, Mahatma Gandhi, George W. Bush, Mr Hyde, the Goo Goo Dolls, Dikembe Mutombo's finger, Superfrog, Robert Downey Jr, Alf
#4XphoenixedgeXPosted 6/23/2013 8:04:55 PM
So you're looking for reassurance basically?

The way I see it, if you're truly interested in the Vita and it's current library, why should it matter what other people are saying?
#5Spiffy247Posted 6/23/2013 8:14:18 PM
After re-reading your post a few times, just go with a Vita.
---
The 3DS and PSVita are both outstanding systems. Wally the Equality Weasel says so.
#6thebatdadd(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 8:15:22 PM
XphoenixedgeX posted...
So you're looking for reassurance basically?

The way I see it, if you're truly interested in the Vita and it's current library, why should it matter what other people are saying?

Because from what I read online from several forum topics, the 3DS was clearly the preferable system, but looking at gameplay videos for several games from each system, it seems the Vita is the more enjoyable system to my eyes. I just felt as if maybe I was missing something, but maybe I'm just in the minority of people who think the Vita games look better than 3DS games (I only saw videos for top 10 or top 5 games for each system though).

Anyways I think I'm pretty much set in a Vita for now, and a 3DS maybe down the road (the normal non-XL ones are getting pretty cheap nowadays, might be worth it to pick it up as well). How much is a reasonable price to pay for a used Vita? I've seen anything asking from $125 to $300. I think $150 - 175 is pretty reasonable, right?
#7lordcloudxPosted 6/23/2013 8:15:45 PM
I guess I'll just summarize what we can take away from the various discussions on this board regarding the state of the system while filtering out the troll-ish opinions.

There are still many games from big name developers and Sony first-party titles coming for the Vita throughout 2013 and there will probably be a ton of indie games coming in every few months.

People like to say that it's a dead system in the sense that Sony is not treating it as a mobile console or basically a "handheld PS3" like they seemed to imply that they would and are instead focusing on mostly indie games with the occasional big name title, multi-platform title, or enhanced port/collection trickling in every now and then.

Also, the system's hardware sales are apparently (based on sales figures from various reputable sources often quoted by some users here) so dismal that it cannot attract support from non-indie third party developers who are unwilling to risk the loss from such a small install base. In effect, this also affects the software sales since less people to buy games = less games bought.

Finally, there's also the argument that it serves better as a glorified PS4 controller since that's apparently Sony's collective opinion on the system after E3 giving the Vita less than a minute of air time during their presentation. Although arguably, there were several third-party booths and sony first-party ones during the actual event. Unfortunately, only a few ports and one new free to play MMO that no one seems to care about was announced during the said E3 event -- which further cements some people's opinions that the Vita is a "dead system."

My personal experience with the system has been mostly positive. I've experienced at least one crash during the time that I've owned it, which was easily fixed by going to the system's recovery menu. It hasn't crashed like that since the last two firmware updates. People like to say that there are no games, but I still have a backlog of at least 4 games that I've bought but hardly touched for the system since the 1-2 games that I initially bought together with the system still haven't grown old on me. (Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f and Streetfighter x Tekken).
---
Paragon of Justice: Crimson Ranger! The Greatest Superhero Never Known http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3028741/1/Paragon-of-Justice-Crimson-Ranger
#8Spiffy247Posted 6/23/2013 8:18:05 PM
http://www.target.com/p/playstation-vita-lego-batman-2-bundle-playstation-vita/-/A-14277759#prodSlot=medium_1_43&term=ps+vita

I say get this. You get the system with a game cheaper than the system is usually alone. And I only get handhelds new after hearing about people using their systems while in the bathroom. That and my OCD.
---
#9WrestlinFanPosted 6/23/2013 8:21:53 PM
Spiffy247 posted...
http://www.target.com/p/playstation-vita-lego-batman-2-bundle-playstation-vita/-/A-14277759#prodSlot=medium_1_43&term=ps+vita

I say get this. You get the system with a game cheaper than the system is usually alone. And I only get handhelds new after hearing about people using their systems while in the bathroom. That and my OCD.

Lysol wipes are a thing you know lol. At least that's what I tell myself considering I bought mine use.
---
I was in heaven. I was in hell. Believe in neither but fear them as well.
#10grangiaPosted 6/23/2013 8:22:09 PM
I own both systems and both are great.

No, the Vita's not dead. Anyone saying that is either a troll getting his laughs on you believing him or (at worst) an actual hard-core hater of Sony who has some kind of imaginary vendetta who you shouldn't even be talking to anyways.

Yes, the 3DS sells more, however remember the target audiences. Where I live I see families full of 3DS' for both parents and kids. However, rarely are they playing anything more current than the latest Mario kart.

Don't think I'm bashing on Nintendo though. I own the 3DS and promptly left my Vita to collect dust when Fire Emblem came out only to come back to it since I haven't found anything as interesting on the 3DS yet.

So it all really depends on your personal tastes. Just look over the currently announced titles coming out and decide which you like better. Don't let anyone here or there tell you what system you need, buy what you want.

Also, last word of advice: even if the system slows, don't ever sell. You'll end up regretting it 90% of the time. Just save up and get the other so you won't have to choose.
---
http://app.sketchclub.com/user/10083807
PSN:Dr-Toszi