Ps2 emulator on vita?

#41Koi_TenchiPosted 6/28/2013 10:27:22 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
NeoZephyr posted...
I remember, when it was first released, everyone was saying how hard the PS2 was to program for. Ironically, the programmer's nightmare eventually ended up with one of the largest (if not THE largest) game library in the history of video game consoles. So I guess people figured it out.

That's what happens when a garbage platform is popular.

Uh, which is the garbage platform?

PS2 is still the best thing Sony ever gave to gaming. It's all been downhill for Sony's gaming division ever since.

I mean, bash Sony's failures all you want, but PS2 is still among the best and greatest selling gaming systems of all time.
---
It's a secret to everybody.
#42DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/28/2013 12:06:28 PM
Koi_Tenchi posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
NeoZephyr posted...
I remember, when it was first released, everyone was saying how hard the PS2 was to program for. Ironically, the programmer's nightmare eventually ended up with one of the largest (if not THE largest) game library in the history of video game consoles. So I guess people figured it out.

That's what happens when a garbage platform is popular.

Uh, which is the garbage platform?

PS2 is still the best thing Sony ever gave to gaming. It's all been downhill for Sony's gaming division ever since.

I mean, bash Sony's failures all you want, but PS2 is still among the best and greatest selling gaming systems of all time.

Only for it's software, which is nothing about the platform it's self. Just that it was popular.(because of it's software, which it got because it was popular)
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#43Dipping_sticksPosted 6/28/2013 12:33:33 PM

We know the hardware in it. PC emulators don't work through an API, either. Far too inefficient. And yet, even with speedhacks, the hardware in PS4 would struggle with the simplest of games..

Stop posting
#44co1onelPosted 6/28/2013 1:12:43 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Shacky_101 posted...
Sorry for being incorrect. I honestly thought PS2 emulation is difficult.

You weren't incorrect. PS2 is quite difficult to emulate, and the very best PS2 emulator around could barely run Disgaea full-speed on something like PS4, with speed hacks. Vita's 800~mhz cpu couldn't possibly handle it, no matter how good it is.

If hackers could get a PS2 emulator on Vita, they would also be able to unlock the rest of Vita's power to 2GHz.

If someone were able to get linux or windows to run on Vita, perhaps through android, then there is no doubt that Vita would be able to emulate PS2. How well it would run though, is a different matter, and completely game dependent. A gamecube emulator would be more likely to run, but still not well.

Also stop spreading that crap. PS4 has enough power to easily emulate PS2 games.
---
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Co1onel-225.png
http://i.imgur.com/D8mOGZH.png
#45DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/28/2013 1:39:50 PM
co1onel posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Shacky_101 posted...

You weren't incorrect. PS2 is quite difficult to emulate, and the very best PS2 emulator around could barely run Disgaea full-speed on something like PS4, with speed hacks. Vita's 800~mhz cpu couldn't possibly handle it, no matter how good it is.

If hackers could get a PS2 emulator on Vita, they would also be able to unlock the rest of Vita's power to 2GHz.

If someone were able to get linux or windows to run on Vita, perhaps through android, then there is no doubt that Vita would be able to emulate PS2. How well it would run though, is a different matter, and completely game dependent. A gamecube emulator would be more likely to run, but still not well.

Also stop spreading that crap. PS4 has enough power to easily emulate PS2 games.

Which would melt the Vita in your hands. Oh BWOY!
There's a reason it's 800mhz. It's not just so Sony can laugh at you. And, it's very unlikely any PS2 or GameCube game could run even half speed. If Vita could do it that easily, you'd see modded android devices doing it already.

Also, no, PS4 really doesn't. PS3 is actually better geared towards PS2 emulation than PS4 is.
---
Want that Shield!
#46Silkman3430Posted 6/28/2013 1:49:51 PM
Dipping_sticks posted...

We know the hardware in it. PC emulators don't work through an API, either. Far too inefficient. And yet, even with speedhacks, the hardware in PS4 would struggle with the simplest of games..

Stop posting
#47co1onelPosted 6/28/2013 1:54:13 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
co1onel posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Shacky_101 posted...

There's a reason it's 800mhz. It's not just so Sony can laugh at you. And, it's very unlikely any PS2 or GameCube game could run even half speed. If Vita could do it that easily, you'd see modded android devices doing it already.

Also, no, PS4 really doesn't. PS3 is actually better geared towards PS2 emulation than PS4 is.

2GHz would burn through the battery fast, there's no evidence it would overheat. I said nothing about Vita "easily" emulating PS2. I have no idea where you got that idea.

Sony has the exact specs of PS2. They could easily make an emulator geared specifically towards the PS4 to emulate PS2 on its many cores. There's no reason to think Sony would not be able to pull one together, and release PS2 games on PSN. With game to game optimization its perfectly possible on PS4. You're not going to get blanket 100% emulation of the CPU like PS1 obviously.
---
#48co1onelPosted 6/28/2013 2:00:32 PM
Silkman3430 posted...
Dipping_sticks posted...

Stop posting

Also this
---
#49DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/28/2013 3:04:51 PM
co1onel posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
co1onel posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Shacky_101 posted...

2GHz would burn through the battery fast, there's no evidence it would overheat. I said nothing about Vita "easily" emulating PS2. I have no idea where you got that idea.

Sony has the exact specs of PS2. They could easily make an emulator geared specifically towards the PS4 to emulate PS2 on its many cores. There's no reason to think Sony would not be able to pull one together, and release PS2 games on PSN. With game to game optimization its perfectly possible on PS4. You're not going to get blanket 100% emulation of the CPU like PS1 obviously.

Yes there is. Mobile phones using the same parts Vita uses have problems with overheating at high clockspeeds, and are almost constantly throttled. Running a higher clockspeed outputs more heat and requires more voltage, which in turn ouputs even more heat.
And, yeah, Vita could probably boot some PS2 games and get less than a frame a second, sure. Android devices can do that with GameCube already.

You can't gear PS2 towards being emulated on PS4. That's not how it works. And, multithreading doesn't work that way either. You could get some software to run full speed, sure, with a lot of work(like Disgaea, or really simple 2D games) but most of the flagship PS2 software just isn't going to run full-speed without errors on an emulator for PS4 unless the software is partially rewritten for it, at which point you may as well port the game.
---
Want that Shield!
#50Ferarri619Posted 6/28/2013 3:12:01 PM
Metalgaiden posted...
Then they should just make a portable version of the ps2. I'm sure that would sell better than the vita.

lol. It would have to be a PS2 Go though, PS2 discs are too big. I'd buy it, only if they would add a decent amount of quality PS2 games to PSN though.
---
~Nintendo 64. Get N or Get out. Coming Fall 1996~