What exactly can a 3G Vita do?

#1sparkingconduitPosted 7/9/2013 11:34:13 AM
I'm a PlayStation Plus member through 2016, so I thought I might pick up a PS Vita sometime since I'll basically never have to buy an actual game for it. I've been debating between the 3G and WiFi models. I know the 3G can't really be used for anything gaming related, but I was wondering what exactly it can do. I'm already on an AT&T Family Plan with data, so I could probably add the Vita stuff for $10/month to our plan, but I won't bother if it's not worth it.

Similarly, what size are Vita games on average? Vita memory cards are ridiculously expensive and I can live with having maybe 4 or 5 games at a time that I can swap out with new PS Plus downloads. Is it worth splashing for the 32, or can I survive on a 16 or even an 8 without having to constantly swap games?

Finally, what comes in the package? I was thinking about picking up a cheap used one on eBay, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything that I might not know about by buying a used one over a new one.
#2psvitantifailPosted 7/9/2013 11:47:41 AM
If you have ver2.12 you can steam videos check email use Skype and it has a built in GPS you can use near over it can't play games over it only can update status upload trophies etc. I recommend going for WiFi model and just use a tether.
---
Oh no Charlie!!---
#3psvitantifailPosted 7/9/2013 11:54:29 AM
Oh yea ps vita games can be from 500mb or lower to 3.5gig or higher the package should come with an 8 gigabyte memory card PS Vita system and charger with a SIM card inside the system and I say if you're going all digital get a 32GB if your physical man and like PSP games get 16 GB.
---
Oh no Charlie!!---
#4Chrome76Posted 7/9/2013 12:01:15 PM(edited)
http://www.ign.com/wikis/ps-vita/Vita_Games_Sizes

Depending on the game it can be 500MB to 3GB. Honestly you should easily be able to fit 4 on a 8gb without any music and pictures.

Some regions include more or less accessories. All or most regions come with printed instructions, Power Adapter and USB cable.

Cowboom is selling the Vita used for $120-$130 with somethings missing but you can easily buy some the missing parts for $5.

This is a pretty good deal on a new Vita but as you said you don't want new.
http://www.frys.com/product/7414775?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
#5sparkingconduit(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 12:01:37 PM
psvitantifail posted...
If you have ver2.12 you can steam videos check email use Skype and it has a built in GPS you can use near over it can't play games over it only can update status upload trophies etc. I recommend going for WiFi model and just use a tether.

And what is Near, exactly? I already have a Galaxy S III for hotpoints and an actual Garmin for car navigation, so I can't imagine that I would Near for anything, but I've no idea what it is so I could be wrong.
#6Chrome76Posted 7/9/2013 12:05:39 PM(edited)
A app to simplify your friends list, find near by Vitas and certain games can receive in game gifts or missions from others.
#7yankee6903Posted 7/9/2013 12:06:04 PM
it can crap nickels
#8BlueBombei2Posted 7/9/2013 12:18:22 PM
I play Phantasy Star Online 2 over 3G all the time. It can play games, just not many of them and depending on packets exchanged, not very well.
---
'We try to moderate out of necessity, not because someone wants to pretend that their feelings got destroyed." Baseman (Moderator)
#9mrivera889Posted 7/9/2013 3:20:42 PM
BlueBombei2 posted...
I play Phantasy Star Online 2 over 3G all the time. It can play games, just not many of them and depending on packets exchanged, not very well.

^This!
From my own experience I can also say that BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extended and Uncharted Fight for Fortune also work with online play so I don't why there is still this ignorant stigma in this board one year later when they say you can't play games online over the 3G connection.
---
[=[3DS]=] (+.[VITA].::)
[o+[__].::]
#10xenoleingodPosted 7/9/2013 3:39:01 PM
mrivera889 posted...
BlueBombei2 posted...

^This!
From my own experience I can also say that BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extended and Uncharted Fight for Fortune also work with online play so I don't why there is still this ignorant stigma in this board one year later when they say you can't play games online over the 3G connection.

Because for most cases it cant generally 3g online gaming is suppose to mainly work with turn based game like fight for fortune or hot shots golf. Not trying to cast you in a bad light but your sounding/implying like every game with multiplayer works which isn't 100% true you cant play something like resistance or PASBR over 3g its very limited to what it can do for gaming
---
Currently playing soul sacrifice persona 4 golden fire emblem awakening
Psn= xenoleingod