About Star Ocean FD and SE for the Vita

#1genodragon1Posted 7/9/2013 5:24:34 PM
I've seen topics that date back about a month, but nothing concrete- mostly people posting that they want it, and strangely a topic or two about another Star Ocean game patented? Anyway, this has to do with the former of the two subjects.

tl;dr at bottom, I tend to ramble a bit.

So, I don't own a Vita, but I'm looking to buy one soon. Among other titles, First Departure and Second Evolution are the ones I was REALLY looking forward to (huge Star Ocean fan, Second Story is still a favorite of mine). Then I hear about the backwards compatibility issues. So I look on multiple sites to not see it, but there's one site that contradicts even the PSN site- Sony's official Playstation site. I'm sure at least a few of you have seen it, I know I have.

It took a while, but I contacted Sony, and asked them when or if they were releasing the two titles for the PSN so one could play them on the Vita. They said that THEY WERE! (yay!) They also said that they didn't know when, as no release date was given in their given information.

The next logical step would be to ask Tri-Ace themselves. I found their contact information, but only for job opportunities, so I don't think I'm able to contact them directly.

Time to go one step up: Square Enix. After long holding times, I find that Square-Enix is also aware of this! However, I got a similar answer: they didn't know when, but they were going to release both for the PSN.

TL:DR- It's apparently in the works, but no one seems to know /when/. If you want to ask me, it seems like it's pigeonholed with little to no hope of getting out of this weird limbo. However, I'd love to find a way to ask Tri-Ace about this, and I'd also love to see these great games on the Vita as well- mostly because I LOVED The Second Story, and First Departure is the only (not counting Blue Sphere) game of the series I don't own.
---
"Argument is meant to reveal the truth, not create it" - Edward de Bono
#2CompassPosted 7/9/2013 5:43:49 PM
It's tri-Ace. And they are both bad games, you're better off.
#3OblivionMatt402Posted 7/9/2013 6:06:53 PM
No, triAce has ported some of the games into being the PSP's best.

Hope Birth By Sleep comes with.
---
I pooped out a lady with a pineapple head, then she rode a deer. it jumped on me and we rode through the clouds. You can't put a price tag on that. - Slim Dream
#4GhetsisPosted 7/9/2013 6:30:46 PM
Actually, tri-Ace had no involvement with the PSP remakes whatsoever. It's SE. Or maybe TOSE.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#5genodragon1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 6:41:39 PM
Compass posted...
It's tri-Ace. And they are both bad games, you're better off.

I disagree, though you're free to dislike it. Star Ocean: The Second Story is one of the best RPG's for its time, and still has relevance today. I do have a lot of games I am looking forward to playing (Corpse Party, Persona series, Parasite Eve series), games I'm looking forward to having in portable form (Parappa the Rapper, Legend of Mana- both excellent titles for the PSX), but these two games are something I was REALLY looking forward to.

OblivionMatt402 posted...
No, triAce has ported some of the games into being the PSP's best.

Hope Birth By Sleep comes with.

True facts, man. Well, at least for those games. I'm not sure how the first plays, but the second? Man, that is a good chunk of my childhood. Thanks to that game and Legend of Legaia (another game that seriously needs a port to the Vita), I got into the JRPG genre and loved it even more, prompting me to have some great experiences (Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor, Final Fantasy games, Legend of Mana, etc.), which each brought me more experiences in turn.

Ghetsis posted...
Actually, tri-Ace had no involvement with the PSP remakes whatsoever. It's SE. Or maybe TOSE.

Huh... I'd no idea that was the case. Thanks for the info, Ghestis! I've talked to Square-Enix's NA branch, though I'm not sure what TOSE is an acronym for, so...
---
#6GhetsisPosted 7/9/2013 6:47:16 PM(edited)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSE

They just develop games for other companies.

SE owns the whole Star Ocean series and hired TOSE to remake the two games for PSP.

But yeah, tri-Ace had nothing to do with the PSP games. All they got was "Original game developed by tri-Ace" on the title screens.

---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#7genodragon1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 6:54:26 PM
Ghetsis posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSE

They just develop games for other companies.

SE owns the whole Star Ocean series and hired TOSE to remake the two games for PSP.

But yeah, tri-Ace had nothing to do with the PSP games. All they got was "Original game developed by tri-Ace" on the title screens.

I see. Well, if they worked /with/ Square-Enix for this endeavor, I doubt they'd have a more exact answer than them. Still, thanks for the information, and it's better than nothing. Hopefully the remakes (heck, I'd take the original Second Story again) will make an appearance on the Vita sooner rather than later, as this would make purchasing a Vita something I'm doing for about 17-ish games I'll more than likely like (especially considering the Persona series, Tactics Ogre, Corpse Party) and a couple of games I know I'll like (Parappa, Legends of Mana) to... well, similar numbers, just add two games I know I'll like.
---
#8Sami1000Posted 7/9/2013 6:59:34 PM
Whats Star ocean FD? I would really like to play both Star ocean games for psp. Some reviews said that they're really easy though. Maybe Square could also release Valkyrie profile lenneth while they are at it.
#9GhetsisPosted 7/9/2013 7:03:00 PM
Sami1000 posted...
Whats Star ocean FD? I would really like to play both Star ocean games for psp. Some reviews said that they're really easy though. Maybe Square could also release Valkyrie profile lenneth while they are at it.

First Departure. It's a remake of the first game, but in the style of the Second Story.
---
#10genodragon1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 7:06:18 PM
Sami1000 posted...

First Departure, a remake of the first game in the series that didn't make it to the West beforehand. They're easy... if you know how to make them easy. If you go into the game knowing nothing, this game could be very, very difficult. At least when it comes to the second game, since I've never played the first. After owning the game since I was like... ten or eleven, I know where to go and what to do (mostly) in Star Ocean: The Second Story (the PSP re-port dubbed "Second Evolution"). The only reason I've never beaten the post-game "secret" dungeon in the first iteration is that I bought it used, and with a combination of age and use, I can't get to the bottom.
---