Question on the Tales games

#1RjmhartPosted 7/11/2013 6:55:37 AM
I played Symphonia on Gamecube. I remember I did pretty much everything in it, and loved the story. There was an optional boss that was crazy hard that you had to beat to unlock the ability to pick up the best weapons in the game, and when you got the weapons they got more powerful as you killed enemies with them. I liked the fact that I got to the point where you could kill the last guy in something like 15 seconds. I generally consider it one of the best rpgs I have played.

I don't know anything about the other Tales games. I could be wrong, but I think they released a sequel to Symphonia on Wii? Are there any psp ones that are playable on the Vita? I know that 2 Tales games exist for the Vita in Japan and all of the debate about localizing them in other regions. How do the others compare to Symphonia?
---
Psn: big_bob002
#2yohvsnarutoPosted 7/11/2013 6:59:09 AM
Rjmhart posted...
I played Symphonia on Gamecube. I remember I did pretty much everything in it, and loved the story. There was an optional boss that was crazy hard that you had to beat to unlock the ability to pick up the best weapons in the game, and when you got the weapons they got more powerful as you killed enemies with them. I liked the fact that I got to the point where you could kill the last guy in something like 15 seconds. I generally consider it one of the best rpgs I have played.

I don't know anything about the other Tales games. I could be wrong, but I think they released a sequel to Symphonia on Wii? Are there any psp ones that are playable on the Vita? I know that 2 Tales games exist for the Vita in Japan and all of the debate about localizing them in other regions. How do the others compare to Symphonia?

The only ones playable on Vita are Tales of the World Raident mythology 3 and the godawful Tales of Heroes Twin Brave. You would need to go through illegal methods to play TOD2,TOR,TOE, and Narkari Dungeon X.

Why compare it to Symphonia when everything in both games outshines it.
---
Come join me at http://xat.com/SuperSmashBrosGroup?p=0&ss=4
ssbb code :2364-4568-8421 jus code :4641 2665 6784
#3badboyPosted 7/11/2013 7:01:30 AM
There are two Tales of games released in English for PSP:
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (which is a spin-off)
Tales of Eternia (a.k.a. Destiny II) in the PAL region
Neither are available on the PSN.
#4helldewPosted 7/11/2013 7:04:35 AM
I dont think anything is playable on the vita out side of the Japanese entries.

there was only two english PSP tales games which were Radiant world mythology (cross over game i would advise skipping) and eternia which was only released in Europe but is in english. Eternia is amazing but again not playable on the vita.

Besides that in japan there is a ton of other ones Radiant world mythology 2 and 3 (both of which are a lot better then the 1st one we got) there is ports of rebirth and destiny 2 (full PS2 console entries ported over) VS and that random one that plays like dynasty warriors.

other entries i would try playing

Vesperia on 360
Graces F and Xillia/2(when these come out) on PS3
Abyss on PS2/3DS
And there is a direct sequal to TOS1 on wii . also note there is an HD collection port of TOS comming soon and that has TOS2 included (its gonna be on PS3)
I also personally love eternia on PSP from Europe.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#5yohvsnarutoPosted 7/11/2013 7:08:12 AM
helldew posted...
I dont think anything is playable on the vita out side of the Japanese entries.

there was only two english PSP tales games which were Radiant world mythology (cross over game i would advise skipping) and eternia which was only released in Europe but is in english. Eternia is amazing but again not playable on the vita.

Besides that in japan there is a ton of other ones Radiant world mythology 2 and 3 (both of which are a lot better then the 1st one we got) there is ports of rebirth and destiny 2 (full PS2 console entries ported over) VS and that random one that plays like dynasty warriors.

other entries i would try playing

Vesperia on 360
Graces F and Xillia/2(when these come out) on PS3
Abyss on PS2/3DS
And there is a direct sequal to TOS1 on wii . also note there is an HD collection port of TOS comming soon and that has TOS2 included (its gonna be on PS3)
I also personally love eternia on PSP from Europe.

Why would he get Vesperia on 360? When there is a better version with more content on PS3.
Other than english voices you just need a script to understand what they are saying or just y'know learn japanese?
---
Biggest Tales of fan on Gamefaqs : )
#6LaventorPosted 7/11/2013 7:22:25 AM(edited)
yohvsnaruto posted...

Why would he get Vesperia on 360? When there is a better version with more content on PS3.
Other than english voices you just need a script to understand what they are saying or just y'know learn japanese?

Probably to...you know...play it in English without the hassle of needing translations or having to learn Japanese?
#7yohvsnarutoPosted 7/11/2013 7:23:09 AM
Laventor posted...
yohvsnaruto posted...

Probably to...you know...play it in English without the hassle of needing translations or having to learn Japanese?

So you would rather for settle less content to understand a medicore Tales of game?
---
Biggest Tales of fan on Gamefaqs : )
#8BahamutBBobPosted 7/11/2013 7:27:24 AM
This is just me but, you know, understanding a game is pretty important. What is the point of playing an RPG if you can't understand anything anyone is saying?

I'd rather have it be in a language I understand than have to use a guide or learn a whole new language just to get a bit of extra content.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#9LaventorPosted 7/11/2013 7:30:22 AM
yohvsnaruto posted...
Laventor posted...
yohvsnaruto posted...

So you would rather for settle less content to understand a medicore Tales of game?

Sure, I'm not bothered by the fact it has less content if it's localized. Not like I imported other games from Japan to get extra content that didn't get localized in the past, the import also adding to the cost making one ask if it's worth the extra cash. To each their own though. If you want to have translations next to you all game, or take the time to learn Japanese, great!
#10TerotrousPosted 7/11/2013 9:01:32 AM
Rjmhart posted...
There was an optional boss that was crazy hard that you had to beat to unlock the ability to pick up the best weapons in the game, and when you got the weapons they got more powerful as you killed enemies with them.

The "devil arms" return in both games on Vita. In Innocence R, only Ruca (the main character) gets one, in Hearts R every character does.

I don't know anything about the other Tales games. I could be wrong, but I think they released a sequel to Symphonia on Wii?

They did but it's not all that great. It reuses a ton of areas from the original game (but lacks a world map) and just feels like a lower budget effort overall. The original is clearly a better game.

Are there any psp ones that are playable on the Vita? I know that 2 Tales games exist for the Vita in Japan and all of the debate about localizing them in other regions. How do the others compare to Symphonia?

Symphonia was the first 3D game in the series. Even though they got quite a lot right, when compared to the later games there's clearly been significant improvements since then. In particular, in Symphonia you can't really move freely, you're limited to moving towards or away from the targetted enemy. In Abyss and every 3D game afterwards (DS titles excepted), you can run anywhere you want on the field. The arte system has also become much more flexible and there's more customization.

Tales of Innocence R and Hearts R also introduce some good new mechanics that address fundamental issues the series has had for a long time, such as the fact that you can no longer put enemies into infinite combos as they can counter attack while being hit, but if you have good timing you can deflect their counter attack and continue hitting them. There's also now no ambiguity about when your attacks will stagger the opponent, their stagger resistance is displayed graphically via a little barrier icon.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery