Question on the Tales games

#11Rjmhart(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 10:10:31 AM
Thanks for the responses. I don't have a 360 and I don't feel like learning a different language (call me a "lazy American") :)

I'm mostly limited to the ps3 ones. Looks like that TOS collection doesn't release until March 2014? That's according to Amazon but someone mentioned it sooner. Although based on the most recent response, maybe I will avoid TOS2, unless the HD collection will fix some of the concerns?

Is Graces F or Xillia any good? There are a lot of posts about the other ones but not the ones for ps3, which makes me nervous that they aren't as good.

Too bad none are for Vita though.
---
Psn: big_bob002
#12windmasteryPosted 7/11/2013 10:22:12 AM(edited)
If you don't mind reading back and forth the DS guide for both games for understanding the story, which also have been modified by at least abit, then go for both titles! You MIGHT even help their chances of being localized

Edit:
@TC, don't worry. It's because you asked about the ones Vita. IMO, they are better gameplay-wise compared than Symphonia. No idea about the story. Some people say Graces F is rather cheesy, but Xillia seems okay in that department
---
Tales!
Currently Playing: Vesperia, Hearts, Graces, Destiny, Eternia; Finished With: Abyss, Phantasia, Innocence; PSN: aeroga93
#13TerotrousPosted 7/11/2013 10:15:46 AM
Rjmhart posted...
Although based on the most recent response, maybe I will avoid TOS2, unless the HD collection will fix some of the concerns?

It's not clear yet whether or not the remake changes anything. We probably won't know more until closer to when it comes out.

Is Graces F or Xillia any good? There are a lot of posts about the other ones but not the ones for ps3, which makes me nervous that they aren't as good.

Graces F is excellent. The storyline is kind of dumb, but the gameplay is top notch. It's a strong contender for the title of best 3D Tales along with Innocence and Hearts R, and it does have a few advantages over them, such as co-op.

Xillia's not out yet, though to be honest it looks like a step back from these three and that seems to be the general perception in Japan as well. If you want more localized Tales, of course, you don't have a lot of other options, and the story will lead into the generally much better received Xillia 2, so you might as well pick it up anyway.

Too bad none are for Vita though.

Well, Vita has two, they just haven't and likely won't come here. I did write walkthroughs for both games here on GF, though. They're still pretty playable even if you can't read Japanese.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#14yohvsnarutoPosted 7/11/2013 2:16:37 PM
Terotrous posted...
Rjmhart posted...
There was an optional boss that was crazy hard that you had to beat to unlock the ability to pick up the best weapons in the game, and when you got the weapons they got more powerful as you killed enemies with them.

The "devil arms" return in both games on Vita. In Innocence R, only Ruca (the main character) gets one, in Hearts R every character does.

I don't know anything about the other Tales games. I could be wrong, but I think they released a sequel to Symphonia on Wii?

They did but it's not all that great. It reuses a ton of areas from the original game (but lacks a world map) and just feels like a lower budget effort overall. The original is clearly a better game.

Are there any psp ones that are playable on the Vita? I know that 2 Tales games exist for the Vita in Japan and all of the debate about localizing them in other regions. How do the others compare to Symphonia?

Symphonia was the first 3D game in the series. Even though they got quite a lot right, when compared to the later games there's clearly been significant improvements since then. In particular, in Symphonia you can't really move freely, you're limited to moving towards or away from the targetted enemy. In Abyss and every 3D game afterwards (DS titles excepted), you can run anywhere you want on the field. The arte system has also become much more flexible and there's more customization.

Tales of Innocence R and Hearts R also introduce some good new mechanics that address fundamental issues the series has had for a long time, such as the fact that you can no longer put enemies into infinite combos as they can counter attack while being hit, but if you have good timing you can deflect their counter attack and continue hitting them. There's also now no ambiguity about when your attacks will stagger the opponent, their stagger resistance is displayed graphically via a little barrier icon.

You realize you can get them in a infinte right?
Example if for say you were to use Kunzite and do your normal arte combo when they begin to try and counter you counter them back with your attack and keep your combo going.
And all enemys have a small penetrate system much like Destiny DC.
---
Come join me at http://xat.com/SuperSmashBrosGroup?p=0&ss=4
Biggest Tales of fan on Gamefaqs : )
#15Spiroth_KweehhPosted 7/11/2013 3:22:17 PM
Rjmhart posted...
I played Symphonia on Gamecube. I remember I did pretty much everything in it, and loved the story. There was an optional boss that was crazy hard that you had to beat to unlock the ability to pick up the best weapons in the game, and when you got the weapons they got more powerful as you killed enemies with them. I liked the fact that I got to the point where you could kill the last guy in something like 15 seconds. I generally consider it one of the best rpgs I have played.

I don't know anything about the other Tales games. I could be wrong, but I think they released a sequel to Symphonia on Wii? Are there any psp ones that are playable on the Vita? I know that 2 Tales games exist for the Vita in Japan and all of the debate about localizing them in other regions. How do the others compare to Symphonia?

On PSP you can play:

-Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition
-Tales of Phantasia: Cross Edition (enhanced port of the above, included in the below)
-Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
-Tales of Eternia
-Tales of Destiny 2
-Tales of Rebirth
-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2
-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3
-Tales of VS.
-Tales of Wallbreaker (included with the above)
-Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave

And on VITA:

-Tales of Innocence R
-Tales of Hearts R

I have no idea which of the above PSP games are on Japanese Playstation Store.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#16yohvsnarutoPosted 7/11/2013 4:41:44 PM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
Rjmhart posted...
I played Symphonia on Gamecube. I remember I did pretty much everything in it, and loved the story. There was an optional boss that was crazy hard that you had to beat to unlock the ability to pick up the best weapons in the game, and when you got the weapons they got more powerful as you killed enemies with them. I liked the fact that I got to the point where you could kill the last guy in something like 15 seconds. I generally consider it one of the best rpgs I have played.

I don't know anything about the other Tales games. I could be wrong, but I think they released a sequel to Symphonia on Wii? Are there any psp ones that are playable on the Vita? I know that 2 Tales games exist for the Vita in Japan and all of the debate about localizing them in other regions. How do the others compare to Symphonia?

On PSP you can play:

-Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition
-Tales of Phantasia: Cross Edition (enhanced port of the above, included in the below)
-Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
-Tales of Eternia
-Tales of Destiny 2
-Tales of Rebirth
-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2
-Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3
-Tales of VS.
-Tales of Wallbreaker (included with the above)
-Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave

And on VITA:

-Tales of Innocence R
-Tales of Hearts R

I have no idea which of the above PSP games are on Japanese Playstation Store.

As I said Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 3 and Tales of the Heroes Twin Brave.
---
Come join me at http://xat.com/SuperSmashBrosGroup?p=0&ss=4
Biggest Tales of fan on Gamefaqs : )