So what is it that makes the Vita so much worse than the 3DS?

#1G1ingyPosted 7/13/2013 4:27:30 AM
Tech wise it's definitely stronger.

But you can clearly tell it's doing far worse, both in game library and sales.

For me personally, I only chose 3DS over Vita because it had Fire Emblem, and also because my NDS was far better than my PSP. Vita has Soul Sacrifice and Gravity Rush, both really great games. But I don't see myself buying Vita just for those two games...no matter how much fun they'd probably be, it's just not worth getting a Vita for.

So where did Sony screw up here?
#2dcamp27Posted 7/13/2013 4:41:25 AM
I think people just like the game library that 3DS offers. People who play portable games like Mario-ish games. 3DS getting an exclusive Resident Evil and Monster Hunter game also helped tremendously.
#3lifeline81Posted 7/13/2013 4:45:30 AM
I wouldn't use the term 'worse' in this case. It's a vary powerful handheld as you say. It still have time to get it's footing in the marketplace. Remember, that the system is only about 1 1/2 years old. It's not like it's been years and years. The system, like the PSP, has to grow into a wanted device for gamers.

Also, remember what some said about 3DS a few months back. It too was not as good in sales as Nintendo had hoped.
---
Drippy: "This is why they say never work with children!" (Ni no Kuni)
PSN: BlueHippo12 - Playing: Sly 4, Ni no Kuni, Skyrim.
#4vazurahanPosted 7/13/2013 4:56:34 AM
G1ingy posted...

For me personally, I only chose 3DS over Vita because it had Fire Emblem, and also because my NDS was far better than my PSP. Vita has Soul Sacrifice and Gravity Rush, both really great games. But I don't see myself buying Vita just for those two games...no matter how much fun they'd probably be, it's just not worth getting a Vita for.

Price of Vita + Price of Memory Cards.

Vita Price Cut
+
Memory Card Price Cut
+
Tear Away Release
+
Killzone: Mercenaries Release

. . . should do the trick.
#5dcamp27Posted 7/13/2013 5:19:26 AM
vazurahan posted...
G1ingy posted...

Price of Vita + Price of Memory Cards.

Vita Price Cut
+
Memory Card Price Cut
+
Tear Away Release
+
Killzone: Mercenaries Release

. . . should do the trick.

I agree that the Vita memory cards definitely needs a price cut. Sony must be making a boatload of money off them though.
#6Laevant(Moderator)Posted 7/13/2013 5:46:04 AM
Much like the Wii U basic console in UK stores, the 4GB and 8GB memory cards have been getting a lot of unofficial "sales" recently. Hopefully Sony will soon realise that 60 for a 32GB card just isn't feasible for most people.

@topic: For me, the Vita is much more appealing than the 3DS. In general, though, Nintendo has always had the exclusive games that the masses just need to own. Unless they developed an outright terrible game, most of the games in Nintendo's more iconic franchises will shift consoles easily. Sony has great IPs of its own, but not to the same extent. That + the memory card issue is probably doing some noticeable damage to sales.

Someone tell Square Enix to give us Type-0 already.
---
[Formerly Envirasu] [<3 MGO] [Cool Cats > all]
#7Dragard_KaosPosted 7/13/2013 6:15:12 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8RjmhartPosted 7/13/2013 6:27:13 AM
G1ingy posted...

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever heard of or watched a trailer for any of the following games?

Toukiden
Killzone Mercenary
Batman origins
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars (watch the trailer on youtube for this one)
Tearaway
Marasmusa
Dragon's Crown

The reason I ask is because they are all good games with a fairly broad range of genres. I think a lot of people in general don't know about them and therefore think the Vita doesn't have good games.
---
Psn: big_bob002
#9Dragard_KaosPosted 7/13/2013 6:55:37 AM
Rjmhart posted...
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever heard of or watched a trailer for any of the following games?

Toukiden
Killzone Mercenary
Batman origins
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars (watch the trailer on youtube for this one)
Tearaway
Marasmusa
Dragon's Crown

The reason I ask is because they are all good games with a fairly broad range of genres. I think a lot of people in general don't know about them and therefore think the Vita doesn't have good games.

Problem is, only Muramusa Rebirth is out here in the US, not sure how'd you know they're all "good games." Though I do admit, Toukiden, Demon Gaze, and Freedom Wars all look really damn good, but we won't know till we get our hands on them.
---
The official Seiten Taisei of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Boards.
http://www.backloggery.com/dragard
#10kewldude475Posted 7/13/2013 6:56:27 AM
For me, the Vita library will be better than the 3DS library by the end of the year. I don't like first person RPG's or SRPG's (though I bought Fire Emblem and Project X-Zone since I wanted a 3DS game), Monster Hunter is clunky and boring with no story mode. I could never understand why people liked that series, and 3DS version has o way to get online. At least with the PSP you could use Ad Hoc Party. And I can't for the life of me understand why anyone who isn't a child cares about Animal Crossing.

But, the 3DS does have more exclusive games, which people do care about (even though I don't) and I guess that's all that matters. Vita is getting a lot of ports, and while I don't mind ports (seriously, I like having a portable game on a powerful handheld) Sony really needs to do a better job of giving people incentive to buy a Vita.