So what is it that makes the Vita so much worse than the 3DS?

#71Retroxgamer0Posted 7/14/2013 1:12:54 AM(edited)
Buretsu posted...
Retroxgamer0 posted...
Buretsu posted...
Retroxgamer0 posted...
fire emblem, whats so great about that series?

It's a great SRPG series. It's a bit more grounded than, say, Disgaea, and especially with Permadeath on as normal, encourages actual strategy and careful planning during battle. Plus, it was stuck in Japan for the longest time, so it's got a pretty good train of hype behind it as well.

permadeath is stupid. people just reset when their characters die and thats bad design. also fire emblem doesnt encourage strategy, i just plow through the whole game with paladin. yeah it is popular in japan, infact it didnt even come to america until after smashbros.

Well, you can turn Permadeath off, but it's still an incentive to actually strategize well so you don't have to reset every few minutes. But relying on the Paladin will only get you so far before even he gets overwhelmed by the enemies. It's a n00b trap.

its not strategizing i just reboot everytime a character dies, its tedious above all else. i think most people do this too..they dont want the characters they like to die. maybe you can turn off perma death in new ones im not familiar, the only FEs i played had perma death always on. if they did change it, thats a good thing. also no, you only need paladin and your hero character, thats it. even so, you can just stand behind the paladin and leech off of him and let him do 80% of the work. maybe that is noob, but it works lol.
#72G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 1:42:45 AM(edited)
Only casual scrubs think permadeath is stupid though. The very fact that characters die permanently already changes the game's dynamics. Sure there's an actual Casual mode that turns it off now, and it completely changes the way the game is played. Or you know...don't reset.

Even if you simply reset your game whenever a character dies, that means you're strategizing to beat the game without anyone dying. Or alternatively, have some self restraint and DON'T reset the game. You're forgetting the fact that you are the one who is doing the resetting, the game isn't resetting for you, it's your own action. Guess what? I can beat Contra without dying at all, all I have to do is reset each time I get killed until I create a perfect playthrough where I don't die even once.

Now instead of playing in low difficulties, try playing the game in a difficulty that it's meant to be played in, like Lunatic.
#73Emperor_mateusPosted 7/14/2013 3:00:15 AM
G1ingy posted...
Only casual scrubs think permadeath is stupid though. The very fact that characters die permanently already changes the game's dynamics. Sure there's an actual Casual mode that turns it off now, and it completely changes the way the game is played. Or you know...don't reset.

Even if you simply reset your game whenever a character dies, that means you're strategizing to beat the game without anyone dying. Or alternatively, have some self restraint and DON'T reset the game. You're forgetting the fact that you are the one who is doing the resetting, the game isn't resetting for you, it's your own action. Guess what? I can beat Contra without dying at all, all I have to do is reset each time I get killed until I create a perfect playthrough where I don't die even once.

Now instead of playing in low difficulties, try playing the game in a difficulty that it's meant to be played in, like Lunatic.

I don't really think Fire Emblem was designed to be played in Lunatic. Awakening has it a little better, but the previous two games made 99% of the cast completely useless in that mode. And then there is lunatic+ which is just cheap. I think most people go for hard mode.

About perma death. I don't mind it being in the game, but I don't plan on using it because I think it defeats the point of the game. Your characters are already a fair bit stronger then the opponent and without perma death you can just steamroll your opponent with your more powerfull units since you only get punished when your lord dies.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#74Ambassador_KongPosted 7/14/2013 5:28:45 AM
kewldude475 posted...
For me, the Vita library will be better than the 3DS library by the end of the year. I don't like first person RPG's or SRPG's (though I bought Fire Emblem and Project X-Zone since I wanted a 3DS game), Monster Hunter is clunky and boring with no story mode. I could never understand why people liked that series, and 3DS version has o way to get online. At least with the PSP you could use Ad Hoc Party. And I can't for the life of me understand why anyone who isn't a child cares about Animal Crossing.

But, the 3DS does have more exclusive games, which people do care about (even though I don't) and I guess that's all that matters. Vita is getting a lot of ports, and while I don't mind ports (seriously, I like having a portable game on a powerful handheld) Sony really needs to do a better job of giving people incentive to buy a Vita.

The 3DS version has no online? Funny I was playing online yesterday.
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi.
#75MonoculusPosted 7/14/2013 7:20:55 AM
The biggest issue is that Sony's not trying to sell it as a game machine; they're trying to sell it as a PS4 accessory first and a portable console second. Even their main E3 focus was how great it was as a tethered PS4 controller/screen, which would be pretty cool except for the fact that the Wii U's tablet is packed in, and the 360 already has an analogous functionality in Smartglass, which runs on most smartphones and Windows 8 devices; you can bet on the One expanding that functionality further.

If Sony were to actually focus on the Vita ahead of the PS4 or PS3, they might be able to convince developers to create something that actually pushes the system, but as of right now, there aren't enough sales to convince most devs to make that kind of investment.
---
XBL: RandomTag529 | Steam/PSN: FEGuy | 3DS FC: 2466-1889-8046
NES|SNES|PSX|N64|GC|X360|Wii|PS3|PC|GB|GBC|GBA|DS|PSP|Lite|3DS|Xperia Play|Vita|3DS XL
#76godslayer61Posted 7/14/2013 8:40:20 AM
Numbuh100 posted...
kewldude475 posted...
For me, the Vita library will be better than the 3DS library by the end of the year. I don't like first person RPG's or SRPG's (though I bought Fire Emblem and Project X-Zone since I wanted a 3DS game), Monster Hunter is clunky and boring with no story mode. I could never understand why people liked that series, and 3DS version has o way to get online. At least with the PSP you could use Ad Hoc Party. And I can't for the life of me understand why anyone who isn't a child cares about Animal Crossing.

But, the 3DS does have more exclusive games, which people do care about (even though I don't) and I guess that's all that matters. Vita is getting a lot of ports, and while I don't mind ports (seriously, I like having a portable game on a powerful handheld) Sony really needs to do a better job of giving people incentive to buy a Vita.

Better than 3DS's library, eh? All Nintendo needs to do is sit and wait for Pokemon to drop a nuke on Vita and it's game over for Sony in the handheld industry.

pokemon ya kids game and the most hurting franchise ever , the vita is not geared to little children and the day the get pokmon is the day I sell all my sony stuff.
---
psn-kish1975 ----------xbox live-godslayer1975------------------wii u-kish1975------3ds-0361-6138-6925
#77godslayer61Posted 7/14/2013 8:45:08 AM
Anarchy-182 posted...
Rjmhart posted...
G1ingy posted...
Tech wise it's definitely stronger.

But you can clearly tell it's doing far worse, both in game library and sales.

For me personally, I only chose 3DS over Vita because it had Fire Emblem, and also because my NDS was far better than my PSP. Vita has Soul Sacrifice and Gravity Rush, both really great games. But I don't see myself buying Vita just for those two games...no matter how much fun they'd probably be, it's just not worth getting a Vita for.

So where did Sony screw up here?

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever heard of or watched a trailer for any of the following games?

Toukiden
Killzone Mercenary
Batman origins
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars (watch the trailer on youtube for this one)
Tearaway
Marasmusa
Dragon's Crown

The reason I ask is because they are all good games with a fairly broad range of genres. I think a lot of people in general don't know about them and therefore think the Vita doesn't have good games.

batman origins is also coming to 3ds

Do you really think it is going to look as good or control even close to the vita , no the 3ds does not put out triple aaa graphics the closest is probably animal crossing and the majority of games are shovel ware or not made for young adults or adults so I will keep the vita as my main handheld and the 3ds as a emergency back up
---
psn-kish1975 ----------xbox live-godslayer1975------------------wii u-kish1975------3ds-0361-6138-6925
#78godslayer61Posted 7/14/2013 8:50:47 AM
MotiJr posted...
Lots of stealth insults being thrown around here. Just come out and say what you mean. 'Lower price is why parents buy the 3ds'. Because no adults own a 3ds system >_>

I do i am 35 but the 3ds loses in every category compared to the vita , plus the games are not really to adult standards unless your a kid in sheeps skin blaaa
---
#79StrikeNinja24Posted 7/14/2013 9:41:46 AM
godslayer61 posted...
MotiJr posted...
Lots of stealth insults being thrown around here. Just come out and say what you mean. 'Lower price is why parents buy the 3ds'. Because no adults own a 3ds system >_>

I do i am 35 but the 3ds loses in every category compared to the vita , plus the games are not really to adult standards unless your a kid in sheeps skin blaaa

That this guy claims to be 35 terrifies me for some reason.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin
#80BuretsuPosted 7/14/2013 9:48:36 AM
StrikeNinja24 posted...
godslayer61 posted...
MotiJr posted...

That this guy claims to be 35 terrifies me for some reason.

The terrible typing? The 13-year-old attitude towards games?
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit