Is a Vita worth getting for JRPGs?

#1flamethrowalrusPosted 7/17/2013 6:32:07 AM
So... I am thinking about getting a Vita.

I obviously realize that this thing is considered a failure everywhere outside of Japan (correct me if I'm wrong).

For me gaming is on handhelds (GBA, DS, 3DS, PSP) and I mainly play Role-Playing Games and Platformers, but also the occasional Fighter. The line-up of JRPGs coming September and onwards looks great, but I am still unsure as the system could die out soon...

Keep in mind that I haven't played much of or any of these series but do you "wise souls on the internet" have any advise?
#2lunchEATSyouPosted 7/17/2013 6:35:12 AM
Alot of Vita rpg's are getting localized in 2014.
---
Height has nothing to do with skin colour, but I know this girl that tans alot that is short...yeah get your brain looked it, someone needs to fix it- DemonDog
#3jenraisPosted 7/17/2013 6:37:08 AM
lunchEATSyou posted...

What's a lot?

Demon Gaze and.....
#4RankorrPosted 7/17/2013 6:48:04 AM
I don't think there's any original or exclusive JRPGs on the Vita yet (In NA anyways). Just Persona 4 Golden, Atelier + and Disgaea 3 (Ragnarok isn't considered a jRGP, right?).

Ys Memories of Celceta is coming out in a couple months, which is the only announced JRPG Vita exclusive coming out this year (Valhalla Knights 3....also not considered "jrpg," amirite??? Man I'm bad at this) that I can think of. Oh, Disgaea 4 I think is getting ported.

I hate to be "that guy" but yeah as of right now, it's mostly ports, remakes etc. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just laying out the info. Hell I'm stoked to play Ys, but even that's a remake---the "true" Falcom version of Ys IV, but a remake nonetheless.

And NO PSP RPGs don't count! >___< Yeah you can play them on the Vita, but you can get a used PSP as low as 1/4th the price of a Vita!!! If you were going to hold out by playing PSP games instead, just get the PSP if you don't already have one (Thought it sounds like you do).

Also, I guess my argument may sound silly since I own a Vita, but honestly I own every system every generation because it's just a thing of mine. I like owning all the systems since I'm a realllllly passionate gamer, I guess it's like a personal pride thing.

TL;DR: No, in my opinion don't buy one JUST yet. Wait until next year, and if only a handful more come out by then, at least that's still more, and hell maybe the price will have dropped for the
Vita by then (#lulzkeepdreamingsonyalwayswinsbaby).
#5jenraisPosted 7/17/2013 6:50:39 AM
Rankorr posted...
I don't think there's any original or exclusive JRPGs on the Vita yet (In NA anyways). Just Persona 4 Golden, Atelier + and Disgaea 3 (Ragnarok isn't considered a jRGP, right?).

Ys Memories of Celceta is coming out in a couple months, which is the only announced JRPG Vita exclusive coming out this year (Valhalla Knights 3....also not considered "jrpg," amirite??? Man I'm bad at this) that I can think of. Oh, Disgaea 4 I think is getting ported.

I hate to be "that guy" but yeah as of right now, it's mostly ports, remakes etc. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just laying out the info. Hell I'm stoked to play Ys, but even that's a remake---the "true" Falcom version of Ys IV, but a remake nonetheless.

And NO PSP RPGs don't count! >___< Yeah you can play them on the Vita, but you can get a used PSP as low as 1/4th the price of a Vita!!! If you were going to hold out by playing PSP games instead, just get the PSP if you don't already have one (Thought it sounds like you do).

Also, I guess my argument may sound silly since I own a Vita, but honestly I own every system every generation because it's just a thing of mine. I like owning all the systems since I'm a realllllly passionate gamer, I guess it's like a personal pride thing.

TL;DR: No, in my opinion don't buy one JUST yet. Wait until next year, and if only a handful more come out by then, at least that's still more, and hell maybe the price will have dropped for the
Vita by then (#lulzkeepdreamingsonyalwayswinsbaby).

This. Wait Until Gamescom and TGS to see about JRPGS
#6mishimarampoakuPosted 7/17/2013 6:51:05 AM
jenrais posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...

What's a lot?

Demon Gaze and.....

Other localized Japanese games coming are Holy Sorcery Story (rogue like) and Danganronpa (from creators of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward.
#7jenraisPosted 7/17/2013 6:52:15 AM
mishimarampoaku posted...
jenrais posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...

What's a lot?

Demon Gaze and.....

Other localized Japanese games coming are Holy Sorcery Story (rogue like) and Danganronpa (from creators of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward.

Daganropa is a jrpg? I thought it was like Ace Attorney,

ALSO I never knew 999 and Virtue created it.. Definatly getting it now
#8mishimarampoakuPosted 7/17/2013 6:55:19 AM
jenrais posted...
jenrais posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...

What's a lot?

Demon Gaze and.....

Other localized Japanese games coming are Holy Sorcery Story (rogue like) and Danganronpa (from creators of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward).

Danganronpa isn't a JRPG, and it is like Ace Attorney.
#9JP_SartrePosted 7/17/2013 6:56:07 AM
If you want new TB RPG's- NO. The very definition of "RPG" today has become "Mash buttons".
---
"The Virtual Boy didn't fail. We failed the Virtual Boy"
-fallenKlNG
#10jenraisPosted 7/17/2013 7:02:53 AM
jenrais posted...
jenrais posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...

What's a lot?

Demon Gaze and.....

Other localized Japanese games coming are Holy Sorcery Story (rogue like) and Danganronpa (from creators of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward).

Danganronpa isn't a JRPG, and it is like Ace Attorney.

He was talking about JRPGS so I was confused =p